Sponsored

Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

This is likely the only true option that would make me switch from my R1S pre-order. We love our XC90 but want to go EV. If the rumors are true that it may launch in 2023 then it will be a race to see who can get me a car first - Rivian or Volvo. Understanding the Rivian is the better all-round vehicle and a marvel is many respects, but I fully anticipate the Volvo to also be much more affordable.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
By the time one is delivered to a customer KIA, VW, GM, Ford will all have competing products. But for now all they can offer is a Pre-order website with a concept model you can view on their website............

Last edited:

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
XC will likely be in same ballpark. The ultimate edition is currently 80k. Add EV to that and it’ll probably bump to 110k.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
By the time one is delivered to a customer KIA, VW, GM, Ford will all have competing products. But for now all you they can offer is a Pre-order website with a concept model you can view on their website............
Kind of like Rivian for the last 3 yrs with the R1S huh? Except it's being introduced 9 Nov and will be delivered less than a year later to customers.

Are you inferring the Chevy Trailblazer will be a competing product? If so that is totally humorous!!!

What EV SUV is Ford offering?

Don't even get me started on saying KIA and VW offer EV competitors to the XC90. They don't even have a competitor to the XC90 right now...unless you consider the ID4 a competitor to the R1S and XC90?

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

If the $110-120k pricing estimates I’m seeing in articles about Volvo’s EX90 end up being accurate, for pre-March 1 R1S reservation holders, based on value alone, the Rivian is the obvious choice for long-term Volvo owners like me.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

If the $110-120k pricing estimates I’m seeing in articles about Volvo’s EX90 end up being accurate, for pre-March 1 R1S reservation holders, based on value alone, the Rivian is the obvious choice for long-term Volvo owners like me.
For a top of the line model maybe, but the starting price should be under $80k to be competitive. While the EX90 will be nice, I don't see it in the same territory as the EQS SUV.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

The electrified XC90 and F150 have been the two vehicles I’ve been most excited to see debuted in the last 5 years (I’ve been waiting that long).

The choice for my family has been R1T v. Lightning, and R1S v. XC90.

If Ford didn’t botch their reservation system, I would have converted my preorder. Now I am staunchly R1T. If Volvo can avoid those mistakes, we will have a tough choice to make.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Kind of like Rivian for the last 3 yrs with the R1S huh? Except it's being introduced 9 Nov and will be delivered less than a year later to customers.

Are you inferring the Chevy Trailblazer will be a competing product? If so that is totally humorous!!!

Don't even get me started on saying KIA and VW offer EV competitors to the XC90. They don't even have a competitor to the XC90 right now...unless you consider the ID4 a competitor to the R1S and XC90?
Yup just like Rivian for the last 4-5yrs not 3yrs. And they've nvr built a car before. My point was they may be introducing their prototype on Nov 9th so they can start collecting pre-orders but you are not going to see it on the road until 2025 - 2026

Chevy and Ford already have the frame work with their trucks. Ford more so as they already have their trucks on the road.

And yea, Kia Telluride is as good a product or better then XC90. I test drove the XC90, nothing stood out or screamed that it was a much better vehicle than a Telluride. And i'm much more a BMW x5 guy, that car you can tell, oh this drives like a bmw. But it lacks in cargo and interior space plus costs another $35k. So we went with the KIA(my first Kia).

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I happen to be reading this while waiting at my Volvo dealer’s service area. A nicely equipped mild hybrid 2023 Volvo XC90, the outgoing model, stickers over $70,000.

Rivian R1T R1S Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S 71212259-C107-4090-B896-674B5FFFCDCE

Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Totally agree with what you're saying. Anyone who says the Kia will be a competitor to the XC90 hasn't sat in both. There's a reason many reviewers who has sat in a Rivian compares the finish to Volvo (I can point to at least 3 reviewers that did this). The Volvo finish of the interior will absolutely surpass Kia. At least in Canada the bigger ID cars won't be coming for a while so there's a good chance I can get my hands on an EX90 before my R1S is ready.

To your point, I don't think 90% of folks who are talking about Volvo have actually sat in one. As someone who Owned a Benz and BMW prior to my XC90, I can tell you the Volvo is on par if not superior in some aspects.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
The EX90 electric will probably be the best combination of luxury, quality, and size for a 3-row EV. I'm hoping they will have some innovative storage solutions like a large front truck. If not that could be a miss. Off-road performance will be mediocre, but it will probably drive on-road like a true luxury SUV. Hopefully price stays around $100k or less.

• R1S is about off-road and overall performance. True adventure style SUV. The luxury is good, but not like a fully loaded XC90. Very competitive price for what you get.
  • EQS is the highest level of luxury but lacks performance, and storage. It's also pricey. Decent off-road performance (believe it or not) but nothing like an R1S. Probably one of the best road trip 3-row EVs.
  • Model X is starting to feel dated, has so so quality, great performance on road, poor off-road performance, but price is way too high. Best for super charger network. Not much else in my opinion (coming from a previous Model X owner).
  • EV9 will be the best in terms of price, but will be at the lowest level of luxury. Perfect for someone simply looking to get into a large 3-row electric SUV with good specs, but doesn't want to break the bank.
The EX90 could lure us away from our R1S order if they can delivery on excellent storage, competitive price, great on-road efficiency, and fast charging. I would prefer the luxury of the current XC90 over the R1S, but the R1S has much better tech. I don't need the off-road performance, especially with our R1T as our camping go everywhere vehicle. We really want a great on-road 3-row EV that can haul 3 kids, 2 large dogs, and a bunch of gear, yet has typical German SUV luxury.

We have an order for an EQS SUV as well (no deposit required) but will most likely cancel. Price is more than we wanted to spend ($120k+) and lacks a front truck and roof rails.

R1S is still top of our list, but the EX90 will be one to watch.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I know its a different vehicle, but early reviews on the XC40 recharge aren't very good... Maybe by the time it comes out it will be a competitor but we'll see...

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
I got the email yesterday from Volvo announcing the EX90. I was curious. I just bought a late-year '22 Volvo XC90 and paid $80k for it. The EX90 is going to be MUCH more expensive. And unfortunately the XC90 is just too small for my family of 6. The R1S is a superior car at a lower price, a no-brainer for me.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
I know its a different vehicle, but early reviews on the XC40 recharge aren't very good... Maybe by the time it comes out it will be a competitor but we'll see...
I test drove the C40 and XC40 last week with my wife. They are really small and the interior is cheap feeling, not nearly as luxury as the XC90. We were disappointed. We also drove the BMW iX Xdrive. That was a great car, inside and out.
Sponsored