• Total voters

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
So you might have read my posts about LKA in my specific situation. Well, today I turned it off and let me tell you: it made my driving experience so much nicer this morning.

If you have LKA binging and bonging you around and seemingly not understanding where the lanes are, turn it off!

Both ways on my commute are into the sun, and the freeways in socal are generally a mess, and with all the construction there are areas where lane lines were removed, but in the sun the vehicle still things they are there. Either that, or they have changed the material that the road is made out of (concrete to asphalt) that splits a lane of traffic, and the car thinks you are moving lanes.

About 90% of the time the car activated LKA it was reading a false line. I couldn't seem to take an offramp without my blinker on where LKA wouldn't engage.

This morning I turned it off, and it truly brightened my experience. If you're in a similar experience turn it off for just one day and see :).
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I don't mind using LKA when the roads are wider, but on skinny 2 lane roads it doesn't like that I stay close to the right lines. Most of my commute is on those roads, so I just keep it off.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I like LKA in certain situations but I agree it is aggressive. I wish you could tie your LKA settings to drive mode. For example I would love to have it default to off in snow mode because having LKA activate on a snowy road has freaked me out on a number of occasions. Secondly I would love to have it default off in sport mode… no reason…

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I turned mine off the day I got it, the first thing I did was turn mine off. It’s also why I won’t buy a BMW as you cannot turn it off permanently you have to do it every time you drive. At least that’s what the dealer told me when I test drove one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I did this on the first day I took delivery. The lane nanny drove me crazy - this feature has no value to me.
I should have done this on day one. Not sure why I waited so long.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine was off in first week. The Acura had prior was significantly more livable. The Rivian was LKA was super annoying. Easy fix was turn it off....forever...

R.Miller

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
HS English Teacher
I drive on mountain roads and commute to a city. People often cross the middle line on corners; I want to be as close to that white line as possible when they are headed in my direction. Lane centering sounds dangerous in my situation.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Mine was off in first week. The Acura had prior was significantly more livable. The Rivian was LKA was super annoying. Easy fix was turn it off....forever...
I compare the Rivian to my wife's kia quite a bit technology wise, it's an interesting comparison cause her MSRP was 28k. But her highway driving assist is better than driver+ in it's current form, her LKA is better than Rivian's (it will alert you when you're drifting, but it will only control the wheel if you're going to hit a car), and it has CP/AA.

I think that if Rivian's was less intrusive I would absolutely use it. Vibrate the wheel if I'm heading over a line, but only jerk the car around if i'm about to hit someone.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I miss Pong.

Sponsored

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’ve found that it works great if I’m driving out in the country. Around town I have it turned off. Sometimes I leave the little haptic feedback on.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
This is the first function I completed after setting up the seat and mirrors, before leaving the SC parking lot.

It’s weird to be anti-tech in such a technologically-advanced vehicle, but my experience with LKA in any car I’ve ever tried it in has been disappointing at best.

Now please excuse me while I go shout at some clouds, not to mention the kids on my lawn.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
This is the first function I completed after setting up the seat and mirrors, before leaving the SC parking lot.

It’s weird to be anti-tech in such a technologically-advanced vehicle, but my experience with LKA in any car I’ve ever tried it in has been disappointing at best.

Now please excuse me while I go shout at some clouds, not to mention the kids on my lawn.
I'm glad Rivian gives us the option to turn it off permanently...

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
This may be a dumb question, but LKA is separate to the other Driver+ functions, I assume? In other words all the other functions of Driver+ operate normally even when LKA is turned off?

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
This may be a dumb question, but LKA is separate to the other Driver+ functions, I assume? In other words all the other functions of Driver+ operate normally even when LKA is turned off?
Correct. LKA operates all of the time (when Driver+ is turned off). Driver+ will still keep you in your lane when activated.
Sponsored