Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Good article with some local flavor.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I forgot they only paid $16 million for the normal factory. Compare that to the cost of the new facility in GA ($5 billion) and you get an idea how hard this business is. Very smart move on their part. And the community seems to have embraced them and vice versa.

Sponsored

sillygoose

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Picked up my R1S in Normal last Thursday, my guide came by to say hello, Curtis picked us up at the airport in an R1S and gave our group a factory tour which included a history of the site and its acquisition. Then we were dropped off at the delivery center where the R1S was handed over.

With over 7000 employees, Rivian is only the third largest employer, State Farm is the largest (Normal and Bloomington form the metro area). Lots of finished R1 and EDV in the lot, rail cars and tractor trailers being loaded.

What is there and i didn’t see mentioned is Route 66:

Rivian R1T R1S Welcome to Normal: The town that holds the keys to Rivian’s future (via arstechnica) 1683574823747

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
An honest take, " Tim Fallon, vice-president for manufacturing operations at Rivian, joined the company after 16 years at Nissan. While the start-up did make mistakes, he said, “I wouldn’t call it ‘production hell.’ I would say it’s being in the auto industry.”

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I forgot they only paid $16 million for the normal factory. Compare that to the cost of the new facility in GA ($5 billion) and you get an idea how hard this business is. Very smart move on their part. And the community seems to have embraced them and vice versa.
I seriously doubt those are apples to apples numbers. 16 million is probably for the land and structure. $5 billion is to build a factory that builds R2.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I seriously doubt those are apples to apples numbers. 16 million is probably for the land and structure. $5 billion is to build a factory that builds R2.
I understand that. I’m pretty sure if you compared the $16 million for the old Mitsubishi plant and what it costs even in that same year to build a new structure of the same size it would still be considered a bargain.
Sponsored