First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I keep seeing people reference blocking the 3rd brake light as a possible issue. How many of you have actually driven behind another R1T for any length of time? I was behind one for awhile a few days ago and was honestly surprised how dim the 3rd brake light is compared with the main brake lights. Yes, the mains are too small and really need to be separated from the turn signals, but the 3rd doesn't seem like it helps that much.
I agree. There has to be a way around the DOT regulations so that you can use the big ass central light as a brake light as well. As is common with government regulations itā€™s all or nothing instead of written smartly. If the rule was written as ā€œyou need X amount of brake light coverage in a non movable area and anything additional is fineā€ it would allow Rivian to make the whole strip a brake light which would be much safer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I agree. There has to be a way around the DOT regulations so that you can use the big ass central light as a brake light as well. As is common with government regulations itā€™s all or nothing instead of written smartly. If the rule was written as ā€œyou need X amount of brake light coverage in a non movable area and anything additional is fineā€ it would allow Rivian to make the whole strip a brake light which would be much safer.
I think that shows how out of date the rules are. IMO they need to have rules for primary and secondary tail lights. Primary lights would be the same as current rules in that they must be visible at all times. Secondary would be lights like those on the tailgate that can be used as brake lights when visible but can be switched off when not visible, such as when the tailgate is down.

underkuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
too many toys
FWIW, we were in a similar situation with our R1S (1/4/19 pre-order). it was finally totaled after months of sitting at a certified collision center and having Rivian come onsite to assist in the repair quote.

The good news was our insurance. We have Nationwide Private Client. In the end, they ended up paying us $26K more than our $83K original price, The check is even larger given they also paid taxes, title, deliver fees etc..

Like you, we waited longer than expected for a rental as the other company (100% at fault) did not assign an adjuster for over a week. Our insurance would have picked it up the next day but knowing it would be months before a real decision was made, we chose to not have it on our claim at all.

In the end, our underinsurance is paying 90% of the claim to us and will subrogate to the other company/individual after the fact.

We matched with another R1S in the R1 shop within a couple weeks. We expect that car within the next month as it arrives at our local SC. R1Ts are everywhere in the shop so you should have no issues getting another one of those.

Good luck and glad everyone is ok!

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
That's too bad.....and it look like a really nice Xterra that hit you too. And since they don't make those anymore, that guy isn't going to buy a new one, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure his is a total loss, especially considering the fact that it's largely depreciated at this point.

I always wonder if police give tickets to people who cause an accident. Does anyone know?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

In the end, our underinsurance is paying 90% of the claim to us and will subrogate to the other company/individual after the fact.
State minimums really need to go up...significantly. Cars are way more expensive than they used to be and required insurance minimums haven't kept up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I got a call from the collision center today. He took a quick look (not the official assessment) and said, "It's really jacked".

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I got a call from the collision center today. He took a quick look (not the official assessment) and said, "It's really jacked".
That guy knows his stuff. šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Minor update:
Almost two weeks in and no repair estimate or declaration of a total loss. Nationwide, for itā€™s part is communicating well at this point. The collision shop is simply full of cars and doesnā€™t have room to start the tear down of my truck. I believe this to be true. I was at the collision center last weekend and it was absolutely packed. There were 7 Rivians on the lot. The technician was kind to help me get the iKamper RTT of the back of my truck and onto a rental. He also showed me an R1T he had finished tearing down to let me see where he thinks the main damage will be. He wouldnā€™t outright say it but I inferred that he thinks itā€™ll be totaled.

Anyways, the tech told me he should be able to get the teardown, inspection, and estimate done next week.

Meanwhile, Iā€™ve decided that Enterprise car rental is the absolute most ghetto of major car rental companies. First they gave me a Jeep Gladiator with roll up windows, no power locks, VERY worn down mud terrain tires, and a very rusty Fab Four front bumper. I took that back after I finished getting my RTT and they swapped it for the most mis-named car on the road, a Nissan Rouge. Seriously, WTF is ā€œrough-ishā€ about this car? It does 0-60 inā€¦. eventually. Itā€™s a stunning maroon color,,, well stunning if you like looking like the leftovers of a gutted elk.

BUT, the Rouge did have one thing that reminded me of my Rivian.. No Carplay. šŸ¤Ŗ

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Minor update:
Almost two weeks in and no repair estimate or declaration of a total loss. Nationwide, for itā€™s part is communicating well at this point. The collision shop is simply full of cars and doesnā€™t have room to start the tear down of my truck. I believe this to be true. I was at the collision center last weekend and it was absolutely packed. There were 7 Rivians on the lot. The technician was kind to help me get the iKamper RTT of the back of my truck and onto a rental. He also showed me an R1T he had finished tearing down to let me see where he thinks the main damage will be. He wouldnā€™t outright say it but I inferred that he thinks itā€™ll be totaled.

Anyways, the tech told me he should be able to get the teardown, inspection, and estimate done next week.

Meanwhile, Iā€™ve decided that Enterprise car rental is the absolute most ghetto of major car rental companies. First they gave me a Jeep Gladiator with roll up windows, no power locks, VERY worn down mud terrain tires, and a very rusty Fab Four front bumper. I took that back after I finished getting my RTT and they swapped it for the most mis-named car on the road, a Nissan Rouge. Seriously, WTF is ā€œrough-ishā€ about this car? It does 0-60 inā€¦. eventually. Itā€™s a stunning maroon color,,, well stunning if you like looking like the leftovers of a gutted elk.

BUT, the Rouge did have one thing that reminded me of my Rivian.. No Carplay. šŸ¤Ŗ
Definitely made me laugh today!

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Car rentals suck with almost everything under one of the big three:
Enterprise - National - Alamo
Hertz - Dollar - Thrifty
Avis - Budget - Payless - Zipcar

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Car rentals suck with almost everything under one of the big three:
Enterprise - National - Alamo
Hertz - Dollar - Thrifty
Avis - Budget - Payless - Zipcar
Definitely! Though I will say Iā€™ve had SOME decent experiences with Avis. The Midway airport Avis is pretty good, as is Dallas Love. But St. Louis is horrendous.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I can honestly say all of those rental companies suck worse than Comcast and Comcast is the worst company on the planet.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I can honestly say all of those rental companies suck worse than Comcast and Comcast is the worst company on the planet.
You have obviously never dealt with a California utility company. Awful service and extortionate pricing.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You have obviously never dealt with a California utility company. Awful service and extortionate pricing.
I donā€™t need to go to CA to find that. This past winter our gas company tripled everyoneā€™s bills because they didnā€™t plan for the rise in wholesale prices. Meanwhile they are sitting on a mountain of cash. :asshat:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not sure what you mean. The cable companies are great....

Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident 1686850750925
Sponsored