Sponsored

What happened to the vegan leather interior accent options?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

They said this was supposed to be available starting in early 2023. We all know they are late with self-imposed deadlines but theres not been a peep on this. Kinda like Rivian Membership, maybe they hope we'll just forget.

its strange because even though its listed in the visualizer, its not available as an option in the configurator. im pretty sure its going bye-bye like the light ash wood and Explore trim other than the handful they might have built because of low demand.

https://stories.rivian.com/r1t-r1s-interior-accents
Sponsored

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think someone saw a Black Mountain with vegan trim in one of the R1 shop threads this week.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

My delivery estimate still says Jun-Jul for my R1S with Black Mountain vegan leather accents. That's all I know.

And don't get me started about this sentence that Rivian posted on 4/28:
  • All vegan leather Black Mountain deliveries begin as soon as April 2023

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I think someone saw a Black Mountain with vegan trim in one of the R1 shop threads this week.
I was just going to say this, I saw it in my shop as well.

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
I wanted all ocean on a white R1t, so things have changed…..

After a great trade in value, I took a compass with ocean and dark oak.

I have already purchased wheels and look forward to picking up the truck 06/13 .

Note , I had to call the delivery center for status, not my guide didn’t know it would be ready two weeks early.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Hey, "early" 2023 means up until the beginning of "late" 2023 - so they still have the rest of this month to go and still be "early"!

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's always ironic that the vegan materials in these EVs are made from oil/petroleum.
It’s all in the marketing. Rivian is selling a massively resource intensive vehicle that is excessive in every way for what is needed for transportation and marketing it as good for the environment. Can’t kill a few cows for your seats, just drill a few oil wells instead. Besides, vinyl and pleather are for poor people.

Sponsored

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
It’s all in the marketing. Rivian is selling a massively resource intensive vehicle that is excessive in every way for what is needed for transportation and marketing it as good for the environment. Can’t kill a few cows for your seats, just drill a few oil wells instead. Besides, vinyl and pleather are for poor people.
Shouldn't have to kill anything for the seats. Not until nobody eats beef anymore.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
It's always ironic that the vegan materials in these EVs are made from oil/petroleum.
No, it isn't. Veganism is about harm reduction. Not using someone's skin for seats (a pretty weird and morbid idea if you think about it for half a second) means not relying unnecessarily on an industry that's based entirely on exploitation, enslavement, torture and slaughter of other sentient beings, who simply want to be left alone to live and enjoy being with their families and friends, just like us. This is an obvious choice to anyone who's even slightly conscious.

Yes vinyl isn't perfect (nothing is), but it's a far and away better option compared to the suffering and horror caused by the use of someone's actual skin (aka "leather").

And this is not even to mention the environment benefits.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Shouldn't have to kill anything for the seats. Not until nobody eats beef anymore.
I wouldn’t advocate killing simply for the hides of course but couple fine leather seats with a nice medium rare ribeye and we have something good going on.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

There's a silver R1T in my R1 Shop this morning with BM vegan leather accents. Mildly encouraging.
Sponsored