Sponsored

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Nothing particularly earth shattering but....

1. I actually brought my truck back to life the night before by jumping the primary battery at the rear jump point for a minute. For whatever reason, that reset everything and by the time the tech arrived the next day the truck had fully charged (on it's own) the batteries. It was normal/driveable except for some error codes that need to be cleared. Batteries were replaced anyways as they had been discharged down below 5 volts. Earlier in the day I jumped the secondary battery. While it woke the truck up too, it was only temporary and the batteries discharged again once charger removed. Don't ask me what all this means, I have no idea just reporting what transpired.

2. The Rivian batteries are just cheap sealed lead acid batteries. 12V 18ah. I've got a ton of them laying around I use on my race cars. They are the exact same, probably all made in the same factory (hah). Size, ah, post locations & thread size...everything. See pics, sorry the Rivian one is fuzzy (I deleted the wrong image).

3. Apparently the passenger battery (secondary) controls anything on the right side of the truck and the primary everything on the left side of the truck. Weird. And because of that you need to make sure you have the negative terminals jumpered of you ever disconnect & reconnect your batteries. They both need to be powered on at the exact same time lest the system may not sync correctly.

4. Removing the frunk and getting access to everything is ridiculously easy. Remove trim and it exposes 6 bolts and two electrical connectors for the emergency frunk exit...boom frunk out in like 15 minutes. Be prepared though, you'll break a fair amount of clips doing so. What the frunk removal exposes is the beauty of the simplicity of an EV compared to an ICE vehicle. The electronics/software aside of course. In these pics (again not great ones) you can see the ABS pump (next to foot). The AC compressor (simple to service). The two inverters below the battery. The heater (aka a blow dryer on left side, hard to see). The seat chillers (left side - directly opposite the abs pump). Two front motor mounts. Anyways, it's all so simple and easy to access.

Finally, you could clearly replace your own batteries if you wanted. But you won't be able to clear codes. To that end, I did notice that Rivian recently removed the language from the User Manual that say you can get a subscription to the Service Manual on request. Bummer!

Rivian has a lot of good & competent people working in the Minneapolis service center.

Rivian R1T R1S What I learned from my 12V battery swap 20230323_093211

Rivian R1T R1S What I learned from my 12V battery swap 20230324_110940

Rivian R1T R1S What I learned from my 12V battery swap 20230323_084215

Rivian R1T R1S What I learned from my 12V battery swap 20230323_084110
Sponsored

Last edited:

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing. Broken clips aside, replacing seems fairly straightforward, minus the code reset. Which means owners can’t self-service this for now.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thanks for the informative write up. They really need to help owners or 3rd parties to deal with this. It should not require a service call or visit to replace those batteries. The service centers have enough to deal with.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Thanks for the informative write up. They really need to help owners or 3rd parties to deal with this. It should not require a service call or visit to replace those batteries. The service centers have enough to deal with.
Normally I would agree with you. But because of the the electronics involved I think we've moved beyond battery replacement being a simple DIY exercise even for ICE vehicles.

I used to rail against BMW because you have to reset the ecu to recognize a new battery. They were one of the first, but their BMS did create 5-7 year battery lives as a result. Now that system looks so quaint!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Normally I would agree with you. But because of the the electronics involved I think we've moved beyond battery replacement being a simple DIY exercise even for ICE vehicles.

I used to rail against BMW because you have to reset the ecu to recognize a new battery. They were one of the first, but their BMS did create 5-7 year battery lives as a result. Now that system looks so quaint!
Yeah, you bring up a good point. The left/ right sync could get one into trouble if they did it wrong. Maybe they just need to use better 12v batteries.

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Yeah, you bring up a good point. The left/ right sync could get one into trouble if they did it wrong. Maybe they just need to use better 12v batteries.
Yes, and that bring up a point I forgot to mention.

I didn't get any clarity or insight into why the 12V issue suddenly appeared. Pretty tight lipped about that. Except to say, the tech did point out that these are very small batteries and they don't have the capacity to tolerate any loss of charging source for very long. They will discharge QUICK if there is any interruption to their charging. Like minutes...not hours. I'm guessing this statement somehow points to the source of the 12V issue...but again just guessing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Thanks for the writeup though I have a question regarding the error codes.

Does a hard reset not clear these out?
According to these guys (https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-2-pack-for-rivian-r1t-r1s) you can swap the batteries and perform a reset and it takes care of any error codes.
So why is your situation different or are they incorrect?
They might be correct, I don't know the answer though. I'd try but I don't want to be wrong and have to haul it to the service center!

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm also curious as to how you actually did the jumpering with the cables at the back of the truck, was it just using a battery you had lying around? did you use a manual charger?

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I'm also curious as to how you actually did the jumpering with the cables at the back of the truck, was it just using a battery you had lying around? did you use a manual charger?
I used my Schumacher charger. But any charger will work as long as you don't go over 30amps max (per the Owner's Manual).

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So the service tech needed a laptop or some other device to reset the codes?

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
So the service tech needed a laptop or some other device to reset the codes?
Yep, laptop. He had to physically plug into the "obd2" port under dash to clear the codes. Just like an ICE vehicle. Pretty sure that port has standard CAN pinouts (which are 6 & 14)...though not 100 positive.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Be prepared though, you'll break a fair amount of clips doing so.
Are they conventional automotive trim panel clips or something special that would need to be sourced from Rivian? I am really interested to see more of what is under the skin but am reluctant to break a bunch of clips and connectors that are not designed for graceful removal.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Last edited: