Sponsored

What would happen if Rivian went out of business?

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
As the driver of a car from the recently defunct Holden brand (Australian), I'll be the contrarian here. While somebody might buy the physical and intellectual property, there's nothing saying they have to do anything to benefit existing owners. No software updates, no parts availability, no service centers, etc. I also wouldn't expect the aftermarket to step in either if production numbers aren't high enough to warrant the initial cost investment. With more and more production moving in-house at Rivian, you won't even have third-party parts manufacturers being able to offer those parts directly. Obviously, I don't think this will happen, as I'm planning on buying an R1S, but I'm all too aware of what can go wrong. Should an accident befall my 6-year old car, I'd be needing to scrounge junk yards for parts for a limited production vehicle, and that is NOT IDEAL to say the least.
I am the previous owner of a Holden Commodore VFII. It's the best car I have ever owned. Shortly after the factory shut down I had a rock bounce off the highway and shatter the sunroof in on me. Scary, but even scarier the time and expense to track down the new sunroof mechanism (weird, but you can't just replace the glass). I started to think about how much harder it was going to be as time went on. One minor accident and the parts would be so expensive to ship from Australia that it would be totaled for sure. I sold that thing right away after that for exactly what I paid for it 3 years earlier and it would be worth $10k more now.

Even with all of that I am still willing to take that chance on Rivian. I think the financials are relatively solid with Amazon behind them. The product is excellent so as long as they keep pushing and get to volume production they will make it. Now they just need to let me buy one!
Sponsored

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
IMO, there is no apt historical precedent for a software-defined vehicle manufacturer going out of business. You'd have all the part sourcing struggles of Holden/Fisker/Delorean combined with all of the anti-repair encryption hurdles of Apple and John Deere.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
There is a legal requirement to provide X years of parts

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Can you find that? I've looked before and there's nothing that I could find. The Magnuson-Moss Act was the closest to providing anything useful, but I can't find a thing requiring parts beyond that.

Sponsored

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Snowballs chance in an oven...but what happens with service and warranty if Rivian ever went under? Let alone resale value... Thoughts?
Aren't they building vans for Amazon? I think Amazon would probably buy them...but I don't see that happening..

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you find that? I've looked before and there's nothing that I could find. The Magnuson-Moss Act was the closest to providing anything useful, but I can't find a thing requiring parts beyond that.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...e-to-provide-replacement-parts-for-older-cars
looks like an old wive's tale! oops.

Magnuson-Moss only stipulates parts availability for the warranty term, and that's for everything, not just cars.

Funtime semi-related fact,
When I worked in ag, we had to keep parts for 10 years from in service date, and had to have parts available in three working days, all thanks to the farm implements act here. I assume the US has similar rules there.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
IMO, there is no apt historical precedent for a software-defined vehicle manufacturer going out of business. You'd have all the part sourcing struggles of Holden/Fisker/Delorean combined with all of the anti-repair encryption hurdles of Apple and John Deere.
You're so right..though we've already had members on this forum discussing rewriting the software on their own. Would a Rivian OpenWrt style project happen organically?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Just curious....

If they "go out of business" as the OP mentioned... actually closed the plant sold off the machinery, etc... how would you force them to provide replacement parts for "X" years?

Sponsored

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
It's a possibility for any company to go out of business, theoretically... however, I don't see that long-term, especially with the Amazon commitments.

Aside from kind of being the checker-cabs of trucks aesthetically, they have a solid platform design, and a unique product offering.
Although missing on some marks, their software is not bad.

I don't see Rivian going out of business. In theory, if that were even close to being the case another legacy automaker would swallow them up well before that.

Actually, they've done quite well for a ground zero startup.

They will have to address the design quirks soon. Once Jeep and others bring competitive products online, they will have an advantage in loyalty, design and customer base.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
My biggest concern for Rivian is the current economy and what will happen with spending on luxury items.

They really need to get some info on the R2 platform out to the public.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My biggest concern for Rivian is the current economy and what will happen with spending on luxury items.

They really need to get some info on the R2 platform out to the public.
my biggest concern for rivian is delivery of my R1T. :D

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
They have already delivered more vehicles than DeLorean and Fisker combined. They also have a huge brand name at the moment. If they were to go bankrupt it would be in several years after they burned through their $18B in cash and aren't able to borrow or sell more shares for some reason. At that point they would have easily 50k+ vehicles on the road.

I think two things could happen.

First Scenario: They go bankrupt because of cash flow but their product still has high demand and a strong brand image. In this scenario someone would certainly buy them up and continue making vehicles.

Second Scenario: Their vehicles have serious issues over the next 12-18 months and their reputation collapses. They burn through cash, orders drop, and they go bankrupt. In this situation Rivian could all but disappear. Little to no support going forward.

Edit: Lucid is much more likely to go the route of DeLorean or Fisker which is unfortunate because I believe they have some of the best powertrain and battery technology in the world. However they made a big mistake starting with a luxury sedan instead of an SUV. I think there is very limited demand for $100k+ sedans, and if the economy takes a dump, they could really struggle. Their biggest hope is the Saudi PIF bails them out.

Last edited:

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
It was purchased and serviced through Chevrolet dealerships as Holden was a GM subsidiary. Mechanically, there aren't many issues as most of the drivetrain is shared with Corvettes and higher-end Camaro trims, but interior bits, or body parts get tricky in a hurry. GM didn't find us worth the effort to keep parts supplied even though all of the tooling for it is somewhere, in someone's warehouse probably.
As someone who owned a G8 (Holden Commodore) body panels where BY FAR the biggest issue. The were super cheap when the car came out where people were guying GXP bumpers for less then $100. Once GM went "bankrupt" and got rid of Pontiac and eventually Holden the prices went through the roof and didn't make the car worthwhile for me anymore, the high resale value of them helped too.
Sponsored