Sponsored

What would happen if Rivian went out of business?

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Can you find that? I've looked before and there's nothing that I could find. The Magnuson-Moss Act was the closest to providing anything useful, but I can't find a thing requiring parts beyond that.
There is a legal requirement to provide X years of parts
Pretty sure this doesn't apply to Bankruptcy, if it applies at all.
Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
My biggest concern for Rivian is the current economy and what will happen with spending on luxury items.

They really need to get some info on the R2 platform out to the public.
Not to mention that it (along with other manufacturers) got royally hosed by the new EV tax credit (or shall I say the lack of it now). I think the BPA drive would help, but I am sure many people will no longer consider the R1 (T or S) without it, especially with new pricing.

GR

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
As the driver of a car from the recently defunct Holden brand (Australian), I'll be the contrarian here. While somebody might buy the physical and intellectual property, there's nothing saying they have to do anything to benefit existing owners. No software updates, no parts availability, no service centers, etc. I also wouldn't expect the aftermarket to step in either if production numbers aren't high enough to warrant the initial cost investment. With more and more production moving in-house at Rivian, you won't even have third-party parts manufacturers being able to offer those parts directly. Obviously, I don't think this will happen, as I'm planning on buying an R1S, but I'm all too aware of what can go wrong. Should an accident befall my 6-year old car, I'd be needing to scrounge junk yards for parts for a limited production vehicle, and that is NOT IDEAL to say the least.
I mean, you could presumably more readily get parts from Aus, no? Shipping would be nuts of course.

I have a land rover with an engine that was never sold here, I cannot order service parts(i.e. oil filters etc) from the dealer as they are region restricted. I must order from europe, or pay inflated prices to one company in the US.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I mean, you could presumably more readily get parts from Aus, no? Shipping would be nuts of course.

I have a land rover with an engine that was never sold here, I cannot order service parts(i.e. oil filters etc) from the dealer as they are region restricted. I must order from europe, or pay inflated prices to one company in the US.
There are a lot of parts available in Australia, but the left-hand drive parts that are US-specific will be the biggest challenge. Interior parts, bumpers, lights, etc. Even so, I have an old Supra where NOTHING is available, so the Holden thing is still workable so long as people keep the junkyards supplied... After 70k-miles, the car has been perfect and has needed nothing, so I hope that keeps up and this isn't an issue.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I recall reading about Holden Bolts on the Bolt forum... now I finally know what they are :)

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

There is practically zero percent chance that RIVIAN goes out of business. They will continue to get investment from Amazon, at a minimum, and Bezos could keep Rivian in business solely for the purpose of building EDVs.

Plus, he would offer Rivian as much of a lifeline as they needed because Rivian is his counterweight to Tesla and he needs to show up Elon Musk.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
There is practically zero percent chance that RIVIAN goes out of business. They will continue to get investment from Amazon, at a minimum, and Bezos could keep Rivian in business solely for the purpose of building EDVs.

Plus, he would offer Rivian as much of a lifeline as they needed because Rivian is his counterweight to Tesla and he needs to show up Elon Musk.
Couldn't agree more. I started studying the stock market 25+ years ago and probably spend 3 - 4 hours reading on it every morning (down from 6 - 10 hrs during pandemic...my '21 tax extension bill that just hit me is...well...anyway...different topic). I haven't seen a more solid, albeit speculative, startup in RIVN since I started investing. There will be a lot of "coulda, shoulda, woulda" people on RIVN 5 - 10 yrs from now. Mark my word.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Couldn't agree more. I started studying the stock market 25+ years ago and probably spend 3 - 4 hours reading on it every morning (down from 6 - 10 hrs during pandemic...my '21 tax extension bill that just hit me is...well...anyway...different topic). I haven't seen a more solid, albeit speculative, startup in RIVN since I started investing. There will be a lot of "coulda, shoulda, woulda" people on RIVN 5 - 10 yrs from now. Mark my word.
Yep, good analysis here: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rivian-gets-3-billion-boost-134550259.html

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Couldn't agree more with you boys. The Mercedes deal recently announced is another step in the right direction.

RIVIAN has to play their cards right, and avoid shooting themselves in the foot over the next few years, but I'm in agreement that they have the potential for a very bright future ahead.

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Snowballs chance in an oven...but what happens with service and warranty if Rivian ever went under? Let alone resale value... Thoughts?
Well for one, Amazon would be PISSED!
I think Amazon's investment in Rivian is a very good safety net.
Sponsored