Sponsored

What's this thing? Anyone order an aftermarket spare tire yet?

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Not sure what to do with this thing? It has an 11/16 inch bolt I took out and is just a flimsy piece of plastic. It does not fit in the frunk. I am going to order an aftermarket spare tire. I was wondering if anyone has bought one and successfully secured it to the existing bolt hole from the weird plastic thing. Also, I wonder what the jack options are. I have not seen any posts about people buying aftermarket jacks. You never know where you will be and when a flat or blowout will occur. It seems like a spare and jack should be a high priority. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Rivian R1T R1S What's this thing?  Anyone order an aftermarket spare tire yet? IMG_5145
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That is a divider to the space to small for a person to get in. They need it so they are not required to add an inside release for that space.

If you get a spare you would just remove it.

Deleted member 7086

While I have found third party vendors who sell OEM Rivian tires I have been unable to locate a wheel to mount the tire on. Still waiting for Rivian to start selling spare tires.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That is a divider to the space to small for a person to get in. They need it so they are not required to add an inside release for that space.

If you get a spare you would just remove it.
Yep, legal requirement for not having an entrapment release. If you had ordered a spare you don't get it.

Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
You can buy a spare / Jack through service.
Don’t discount this idea. I had my R1T at the service center for a tire rotation and they hooked me up with a spare tire and Jack kit. Not cheap but I was uncomfortable without a spare. The Jack doesn’t look very substantial for a 7,000 lb vehicle so I purchased an aftermarket bottle Jack.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Watch this video for jack options. Big thing to note is that with the highest clearance recommended for tire changes, several jacks were not tall enough.

Also note a puck is needed if you aren’t taking off the some of the plastic below.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The routes I'd recommend for jacks -
  1. If it's just an insurance policy against flats from normal use, get the kit from Rivian. It works and is relatively cost effective, and stores with the wheel. Just be aware it's going to be a hassle - I've heard folks say it took over an hour to change a wheel.
  2. If you plan to do serious offroading, change your own wheels frequently (e.g. seasonally), or otherwise have more intense requirements, consider something like the ProEagle Kratos, which appears to be what Rivian's service trucks use. It will be much more functional in uneven terrain, significantly easier to work with (faster lift etc.), and is available with a Rivian puck.
  3. If you really want to spoil yourself and work on your truck (uh...) or do super easy wheel rotations, and space/cost are not a factor, I guess you could get the QuickJack 7000TLX. But realistically don't do that.
(Side note: I've seen a few folks with Hi-Lift jacks mounted to a Rivian. I'd love to know what their intended jack point is. Don't get a Hi-Lift unless you've used it in the field before and know exactly how you plan to lift the Rivian and which panels you're going to destroy in the process. This may change once some of the rock slider options are actually in the wild, but it's still a niche solution.)

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I had my R1T at the service center for a tire rotation and they hooked me up with a spare tire and Jack kit. Not cheap but I was uncomfortable without a spare. The Jack doesn’t look very substantial for a 7,000 lb vehicle so I purchased an aftermarket bottle Jack.
@Brandon mentioned on his YT channel in the video where he got a flat, that the OEM Rivian scissors jack seemed "sketchy" on pavement for such a heavy vehicle and even commented on how questionable it might be for trail use.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Not sure what to do with this thing? It has an 11/16 inch bolt I took out and is just a flimsy piece of plastic. It does not fit in the frunk. I am going to order an aftermarket spare tire. I was wondering if anyone has bought one and successfully secured it to the existing bolt hole from the weird plastic thing. Also, I wonder what the jack options are. I have not seen any posts about people buying aftermarket jacks. You never know where you will be and when a flat or blowout will occur. It seems like a spare and jack should be a high priority. Does anyone have any thoughts?

IMG_5145.jpeg
It's a panini press for sandwiches on the road.

Sponsored

AMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
While I have found third party vendors who sell OEM Rivian tires I have been unable to locate a wheel to mount the tire on. Still waiting for Rivian to start selling spare tires.
Hi Frisbie, I got a flat during some epic off-roading yesterday, and since I took my R1T with me to Europe, and the spare I ordered was delayed by like 9 months, so I had already moved out of the US when the spare did finally arrive, so I don't have it. Rivian won't ship it to Europe, and since it's not for sale here in Europe (seems to be a custom tire and wheel Pirelli), I'll need to buy a spare tire in the US and get it shipped over myself. I've got the 21" road tires (275/55 R21). In the Rivian gear shop I only see wheel+tire assembly, not just the tire. I'd be interested to contact a supplier that sells the tire (and not the wheel) in the US - can you let me know who that is? Thanks!

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
(Side note: I've seen a few folks with Hi-Lift jacks mounted to a Rivian. I'd love to know what their intended jack point is.
I have, in another life, successfully used a high-lift jack several times as a "poor boy winch". Stuck, unable to do anything but spin tires (two wheel drive or four)...all you need is an anchor point and a strap, chain, or rope to pull it forward or backward...one "jack travel length" at a time. Mostly I use mine to stretch fence and pull up fence posts on occasion. Don't forget, this IS a "real truck".

I've been stuck many times in my life. I've never required being rescued.

Deleted member 7086

I bought a 20” AT through Discount Tire and a rim from Rivian. Rivian mounted and balanced the tire. It is all OEM.

Insight75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Pharmaceuticals
What is the cost for a spare wheel and jack from Rivian?

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
What is the cost for a spare wheel and jack from Rivian?
As an optional add on it was $800. As a stand-alone gear shop upgrade, I haven’t seen it priced out.
Sponsored