Sponsored

Which upcoming vehicles are you most excited to see?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I know many are still skeptical regarding CT ever being produced, but it's real and it's closer to production as a lot has happened lately..

-The 9,000 ton Idra Giga Press that's needed for the huge CT body casting has finally been delivered to the Port of Houston from Italy via ship in late Sept.
-The concrete floor in Giga-Texas has been broken up, the huge footings and pad for the Giga Press have been poured and cured.
-Just 2-3 weeks ago the disassembled press (54 pieces weighing a total of 171,000 lbs) shipping containers were delivered by trucks to the Austin Gigafactory site and are currently being re-assembled (estimated by Idra to take about one month to complete) in the GT plant starting last week.
-Once assembled, it has to be tested and validated (estimates are that will take about a month after final assemble of the press is completed).

There's still the issue of the new 4680 battery cells (they can produce in small volume, but when they started big volume production, Tesla ended up with too many rejects) but if Tesla can scale 4680 cell production many think CT production could start mid 2023.

Tesla did not invest over a billion dollars in the Austin Gigafactory just to make Model Y's and Semi's. They have over 1.5 million CT reservations at this point, and Tesla intends to cash in on that!
If they convert even 30% of those preorders I'll be surprised. The preorders are $100 throwaway for the promise of a $39,000 truck that can go 500 miles. We all know that's never going to happen, and when they announce real specs and pricing it's going to likely cut that number in half. Based on the Lightning Pro now starting at $55,000, I expect the entry level dual motor CT to start at $60,000 with a range of 250 miles, going up to $140,000 or so for quad motor plaid.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The preorders are $100 throwaway for the promise of a $39,000 truck that can go 500 miles.
That's pretty far from accurate...
The $39K version was a single motor RWD version with 250 mi range (see screen cap below).
The 500mi range CT was a $69K tri-motor AWD version.
Rivian R1T R1S Which upcoming vehicles are you most excited to see? 1672078616585

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The $39K version was a single motor RWD version with 250 mi range (see screen cap below).
1672078616585.png
Yep but still probably won’t be anywhere near those prices. At least 1.5x.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

1672078616585.png
You're arguing semantics without addressing the actual issue. The single motor doesn't even exist anymore, the entry level cost will be closer to the $69,000 trimotor than the $39,000 original entry level, no level is going to go 500 miles on a single charge, and they haven't even officially released a street legal production validation model.

If and when it happens, the CT is going to be enormous, hideous, and expensive. It may also be capable for a truck, but there will be plenty of other similarly capable trucks that look better, cost less, and are more appropriately sized.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
If there were any chance a <$50k Cybertruck were still possible, Tesla would still show that price on their website. It’s going to start at ~$70k, I’ll bet. And it’s going to take them several years from their 4680 announcement until they’ve solved their problems with it. Soo… not exactly a ringing endorsement of their ability to solve problems, is it? The CT is still a joke, as are more and more of Elon’s big announcements. How’s that robot coming along? Has The Boring Company solved even a single problem in the boring industry? Alleviated any traffic at all?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
You're arguing semantics without addressing the actual issue.
Not arguing semantics... I was pointing out the inaccurate statement "..the promise of a $39,000 truck that can go 500 miles."
Nobody at Tesla ever promised a 500mi range CT for $39K, and no one who put a deposit down for the $39K CT was in any way lead to believe the $39K CT had a 500mi range when it was clearly listed as "250+" directly on the order page.
The "promise" (similar to Rivian's pre-order agreement which has been defended 1,000 times here as "not a promise at all") was for a 250+ mi range RWD truck for $39.9K.

There is enough FUD surrounding the CT already, is it incorrect to point out inaccurate claims when you see them?

-You want to say the CT is ugly? no argument here... ugly/beauty is subjective.
-You want to say it's "hideous" , that's cool.. again your opinion and you're welcome to it.
-Want to claim " no level is going to go 500 miles on a single charge ".. that is a statement which can neither be proved or disproved at this time so again,no problem with that.
-Saying "Tesla promised a $39K Cybertruck with 500mi range".. that's just downright incorrect because that never happened.

Last edited:

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
There are some very fun vehicles coming over the next few years. The e-Ray could be really cool. They’ll know a good bit about EVs by then. Excited about this one…. Just wish their base engines had more revs.

Whatever fully electric Wrangler, should be fun. Loved my 392XR. An EV topless, doorless, fast Jeep that I can plug in at home? Sign me up!

Really enjoying playing with the R1T. Didn’t expect to get it this fast. Almost got a Tesla a few times as I was tempted by the EVness and the quick acceleration but couldn’t get past lack of feel. The R1T driving experience is just so much more. Haven’t driven a Plaid though. Also didn’t want to pay $130k to Elon…

Also loving the Bronco Raptor. Yes, it would be twice as good with the Jeep’s 392. But, it’s a whole different beast and so very good. Was waiting for this one and wow, it did not disappoint one bit. Love this truck. So special.

Im also excited for the R2’s. Eager to see what Rivian learns for their next act!

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
'23 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch Lux hardtop I ordered in March '22. I'm not holding my breath.

Rivian R1T R1S Which upcoming vehicles are you most excited to see? 1672093116023

Last edited:

Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I know many are still skeptical regarding CT ever being produced, but it's real and it's closer to production as a lot has happened lately..

-The 9,000 ton Idra Giga Press that's needed for the huge CT body casting has finally been delivered to the Port of Houston from Italy via ship in late Sept.
-The concrete floor in Giga-Texas has been broken up, the huge footings and pad for the Giga Press have been poured and cured.
-Just 2-3 weeks ago the disassembled press (54 pieces weighing a total of 171,000 lbs) shipping containers were delivered by trucks to the Austin Gigafactory site and are currently being re-assembled (estimated by Idra to take about one month to complete) in the GT plant starting last week.
-Once assembled, it has to be tested and validated (estimates are that will take about a month after final assemble of the press is completed).

There's still the issue of the new 4680 battery cells (they can produce in small volume, but when they started big volume production, Tesla ended up with too many rejects) but if Tesla can scale 4680 cell production many think CT production could start mid 2023.

Tesla did not invest over a billion dollars in the Austin Gigafactory just to make Model Y's and Semi's. They have over 1.5 million CT reservations at this point, and Tesla intends to cash in on that!
I’m not an Elon hater, so,I’ll leave the easy Cybertruck bashing to others.

But you have to see the comedy of trying to compare the Cybertruck, who’s fans are documenting the concrete about to be poured so trucks can be built…eventually, to Rivians, who’s owners are complaining about wearing out tires.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The issue with the 1.5 million reservations is it was a $100 deposit on a truck that was supposed to start at 39k. When you look at a bare bones Model 3 coming in at 47k and a bare bones Model X coming in at 123k, I do not see any path where a Cybertruck is coming in under 85k. How many of those $100 reservations do you think will convert at those prices with the current state of the market, inflation, and interest rates?

I love to see choices and competition but the Cybertruck seems more like a Ford competitor and I just don’t see how it will compete for the lower end work truck market I think the bulk of those reservations came from at the price it will end up being.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Macan EV has always intrigued me. Looked at the macan before, thought back seat was too small. Unsure if the back seat would be bigger on an EV version.

That said, really enjoy the R1T.

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I’m looking forward to driving the BMW i7 in 2023. I haven’t seen one in person, but I’m hoping that it drives better than it looks. I’d also like to see the Cadillac Lyric in person.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Last edited: