Sponsored

Who’s planning a trip through MT/SD along I90 next summer?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

As an Oregonian with family in Wisconsin I am constantly watching charging status along I90 because it would make the trip considerably shorter. So exciting news on this front, maybe it’s possible by summer time???

New EA station just opened in Billings, MT. Looks like one will open at the Target in Bozeman by spring, tbd. So looking along that route that just leaves the stretch between Billings to Gillette, WY that would be a deep charge in Billings/Gillette but should be possible with a large pack. That just leaves the stretch through SD along I90 between Wall, SD and Worthington, MN. For that stretch it looks like some possibly slower 50-60kW options available or coming soon and maybe even an EA station in Chamberlain, SD coming soon.

So who else is looking forward to attempting a summer road trip along I90?

Rivian R1T R1S Who’s planning a trip through MT/SD along I90 next summer? 80A20AA7-BC48-4761-85C4-546F940E5FE3

Rivian R1T R1S Who’s planning a trip through MT/SD along I90 next summer? 5AECC05C-D77B-49F9-BD23-F6D44B760D47
Sponsored

Last edited:

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

We are! Assuming my truck really does arrive in the next few weeks (in 8 steps now), we are looking at a very similar trip; PDX --> Wisco and back.

Further complicating matters, we'd like to tow Betty Red and White for the trip.
Rivian R1T R1S Who’s planning a trip through MT/SD along I90 next summer? PXL_20220408_154421855

I'll be on my 'teacher summer' and wife works from wherever (Starlink is already part of our kit.) We won't be in a hurry, willing to glamp along the way and charge slowly overnight.

Will be following this thread!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
With all the dcfc around us in the pnw it’s so easy to forget that a main cross country route still has big gaps.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Hoping to around Memorial Day. Minneapolis to Tacoma and back for kids college graduation. I've been thinking about making that trip in our truck for a few years now! Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
Went to Billings last summer. Not a great charging situation (50KW max at the Audi dealership) in Bozeman so the new EA will help close the gap there. The real issue is no other charging options. We went before all the late summer EA charging issues but if one station is out from Smelterville to Billings, it will be long trip. We stayed in Billings for about 2 weeks and it was tough to find charging. Had to park at the airport overnight. Charge was free but parking was $11 :)

I got the notification of the Billings EA online. Greatly needed in that area.

WE had issue on the way home, funny though, as it was in Ellensburg Taco bell EA (that worked great on the way out) at 2AM that was completely out, all offline. Luckily there was the 50KW about 5 mi away that took a lot more time but enough to get up over the pass and the kids got to see bar closing time in Ellensburg! Stay adventurous

Seems like some of these remote northern the stations (Butte) are low priority to be fixed. Be nice to get some of the Super Chargers open along 90 whenever that happens...

At least Billings to Gillett is not mountainous, I say Go for it!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Went to Billings last summer. Not a great charging situation (50KW max at the Audi dealership) in Bozeman so the new EA will help close the gap there. The real issue is no other charging options. We went before all the late summer EA charging issues but if one station is out from Smelterville to Billings, it will be long trip. We stayed in Billings for about 2 weeks and it was tough to find charging. Had to park at the airport overnight. Charge was free but parking was $11 :)

I got the notification of the Billings EA online. Greatly needed in that area.

WE had issue on the way home, funny though, as it was in Ellensburg Taco bell EA (that worked great on the way out) at 2AM that was completely out, all offline. Luckily there was the 50KW about 5 mi away that took a lot more time but enough to get up over the pass and the kids got to see bar closing time in Ellensburg! Stay adventurous

Seems like some of these remote northern the stations (Butte) are low priority to be fixed. Be nice to get some of the Super Chargers open along 90 whenever that happens...

At least Billings to Gillett is not mountainous, I say Go for it!
Is that a tan wrap?

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
Very low angle sun out on the beach at Ocean Shores. Launch Green. Those greens seem to be multi-shade possible.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

As an Oregonian with family in Wisconsin I am constantly watching charging status along I90 because it would make the trip considerably shorter. So exciting news on this front, maybe it’s possible by summer time???

New EA station just opened in Billings, MT. Looks like one will open at the Target in Bozeman by spring, tbd. So looking along that route that just leaves the stretch between Billings to Gillette, WY that would be a deep charge in Billings/Gillette but should be possible with a large pack. That just leaves the stretch through SD along I90 between Wall, SD and Worthington, MN. For that stretch it looks like some possibly slower 50-60kW options available or coming soon and maybe even an EA station in Chamberlain, SD coming soon.

So who else is looking forward to attempting a summer road trip along I90?
I'm pretty sure our Rivians are geo-fenced by the Rockies. I couldn't get mine to go east of Missoula...

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I'm pretty sure our Rivians are geo-fenced by the Rockies. I couldn't get mine to go east of Missoula...
Are there any adventures further east anyway?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Looks like another EA station in SD just opened, E to W on I90 should be very possible. With new additions on I94 that route looks like it isn’t far behind.

Rivian R1T R1S Who’s planning a trip through MT/SD along I90 next summer? CE5A965A-46CB-4D10-874A-E289C1B170AE

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I want to hit 94 route, but this definitely makes the 90 route much more possible. Here’s to hoping!! 🤞

ThatRivianGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1T (Pre-Order)
Double check, but I think there are a couple campsites between Billings and Gillette that have NEMA 14-50 plugs you can use your mobile charger on. Pricing and requirements vary, but they are a good backup, even if you get a deep charge in Billings.
Sponsored