Woa Tesla Cybertruck getting 1000-Volt architecture capable of V4 supercharging

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
Everyone here is pointing out the endless delays for the Cybertruck and Tesla Semi, yet ignoring the Max Pack's similar predicament (along with all the other smaller Rivian features which were promised but never delivered or canceled). Elon may over promise and under deliver, but he's not the only EV start up CEO who's done that in the past few years...

1000v architecture on the Cybertruck will be cool. If it happens and is usable, it'll definitely give Tesla the competitive edge they've been losing for the past few years. And I just watched a video of a fully-loaded EV semi drive 500 miles on a single charge (starting at 97%, and with 4% left at the end), so who am I to doubt that the rest is also possible?
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
ā€¦..Cybertruck 1000 volt megacharging makes Rivian look archaicā€¦..
Wait, Elon has vapor ware that makes existing product look archaic?

Amazeballz.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
  • No mention of the Tesla armor glass this go around.

• They still refuse to say how much of the actual weight is cargo versus the base weight of the vehicle + trailer. That's a huge issue.

• I noticed Tesla decided to go with a tri-motor design instead of the quad motors they discussed initially in 2017.

Yesterday's announcement was more in line with a "beta" delivery to PepsiCo, where they are going to collect data and modify the trucks before the real deliveries begin.

Could be similar with Rivian and Amazon, though those vehicles appear to function as advertised already (I find this to be more impressive given the amount of Amazon Prime vans that can be replaced and the fact the primary function is already there and in-use on the roads today).

I'm not anti-Tesla or anything and I would consider buying one in the future, but I recommend those who may be new to Tesla's tactics two things.
  • They should always assume a timeline that is at least twice if not three times longer than provided.

• They should always assume the final product will offer 80-90% of what they say, including range or features (or an additional 10-20% price markup).

Tesla has a chronic issue of overpromising and underdelivering which has not been an issue to their business up until now, because even the 80-90% version of their products are better than the rest of the market. I think that has slowly changed and will rapidly do so over the next 2-3 years.

• I fully expect we will see a Cybertruck, but in 2024 for actual volume deliveries of the ~400 mile "mid-tier" trim.

• I expect an announcement of a 500 mile CT to be 2025 initially, but pushed out to 2026 or later (if ever).

• The Cybertruck will launch with a price similar to Rivian, likely in the $90k range. I do expect it to be more bare bones and not as premium of a vehicle though.

• They haven't even shown the final updated design. Knowing Elon who loves to show things a year or two (or more) early, that isn't a good sign.

In terms of Rivian, I don't think we will be surprised to see an 800v architecture in their vehicles by 2024. The max pack would be a great time to offer it. Depending on the charge curve, this could be a strong improvement for those who truly are road tripping or off-roading the vehicles. Therefore, the advantage a Cybertruck will have in 2024 or 2025 will be moot at best.

After owning Teslas and Rivians, I'd put my money on a 400 mile Rivian getting 400 miles of range in most conditions except extreme speed or cold temperature over a CT getting 400 miles in almost any condition except 55mph in 75 degree temps.

The cybertruck is absolutely no threat to Rivian at all.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Everyone here is pointing out the endless delays for the Cybertruck and Tesla Semi, yet ignoring the Max Pack's similar predicament (along with all the other smaller Rivian features which were promised but never delivered or canceled). Elon may over promise and under deliver, but he's not the only EV start up CEO who's done that in the past few years...

1000v architecture on the Cybertruck will be cool. If it happens and is usable, it'll definitely give Tesla the competitive edge they've been losing for the past few years. And I just watched a video of a fully-loaded EV semi drive 500 miles on a single charge (starting at 97%, and with 4% left at the end), so who am I to doubt that the rest is also possible?
No one is ignoring the delays for Rivianā€˜s features. One look at the first page of this forum says otherwise. Every EV maker has delays. Musk actually draws more attention to the delays for his products because he insists on holding events for things that arenā€™t real yet and telling everyone they will be ready in a year. So when itā€™s finally ready 5 years later everyone laughs at him.

And I would say that most of the mockery of Musk is not about delays - that is actually understandable- rather about the other things he says and does. Like saying that CT can ā€œact like a boat for short distancesā€ā€¦.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Lol so many butthurt here. Cybertruck 1000 volt megacharging makes Rivian look archaic. Oh and Tesls Semi just did 500 miles with 82k lb total weight. There's a video of the whole trip for Elon haters/conspiracy theorists. :CWL:
You're giving Elon $8 a month for a blue check on Twitter aren't you?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've had a Rivian in my driveway since March. I had the Hummer for a month before that. How many cybertrucks period are there?

I would be very surprised if a lot of Rivian's delay isn't because they are updating their systems to be 800V capable when the max pack comes out. Honestly my expectation of the cybertruck delay is because of that as well. Most of the features that have been announced about the cybertruck since the original reveal are features competitors have, so Tesla has been playing catchup for the last 3 years. I have no doubt that the cybertruck will probably be a decent vehicle, but I have my doubts about the capabilities of it as a truck still.

A long range vehicle capable of towing really needs to have the higher voltage systems to recharge at a fast enough rate to make it useful. I think all the auto manufacturers are realizing that now.

Last edited:

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
No one is ignoring the delays for Rivianā€˜s features. One look at the first page of this forum says otherwise. Every EV maker has delays. Musk actually draws more attention to the delays for his products because he insists on holding events for things that arenā€™t real yet and telling everyone they will be ready in a year. So when itā€™s finally ready 5 years later everyone laughs at him.

And I would say that most of the mockery of Musk is not about delays - that is actually understandable- rather about the other things he says and does. Like saying that CT can ā€œact like a boat for short distancesā€ā€¦.
As a Max Pack order holder, I think I've seen more comments on this forum like "you don't really need 400 miles of range anyway, I'm happy with my 300" than actual ire towards Rivian for the constant delays / vaporware that the Max Pack is becoming. I do agree that Musk makes a lot of stupid announcements for things, like the floatability and the bulletproof windows, that distract from the core competencies of Tesla as a brand. And I wish he'd stop that.

On the other hand, the 1000v architecture seems like an actual important upgrade, and I'm excited to see what comes of it. I've grown more sour on Elon as the years have gone by, but the technology that actually makes it to consumers is generally better than or on par with what you'd see elsewhere.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer

Last edited:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I do think the thermal management achieved on a connector that size is pretty cool. Not sure if the CT will be able to utilize the full 1MW though. I canā€™t imagine the pack would be much bigger than the Hummers. So wouldnā€™t charging at 1MW be rude to the cell chemistry? Ie. degrade battery capacity quicker? Genuinely curious about this.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I do think the thermal management achieved on a connector that size is pretty cool. Not sure if the CT will be able to utilize the full 1MW though. I canā€™t imagine the pack would be much bigger than the Hummers. So wouldnā€™t charging at 1MW be rude to the cell chemistry? Ie. degrade battery capacity quicker? Genuinely curious about this.
I think Tesla is strictly saying the cybertruck can use the same system the semi can for the "Tesla Megawatt Charging". IE, it has the 1000V rated Tesla connector. I heard nothing stated about the actual rate of charge it would accept. It would be stupid to have the Semi, which has a 4-5 times bigger battery than the cybertruck, only be capable of charging at 1 MW if the cybertruck could do the same thing.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The semi might end up being Teslaā€˜s greatest invention if he can get the trucking industry to buy into it. It would be good for the planet and good for trucking If it happens. Unfortunately 2022 PT Barnum is behind it.
Funny you mention PT Barnum...
I usually describe Elon as half PT Barnum/half Edison.. both inventive crooks and swindlers in their on right.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
As a Max Pack order holder, I think I've seen more comments on this forum like "you don't really need 400 miles of range anyway, I'm happy with my 300" than actual ire towards Rivian for the constant delays / vaporware that the Max Pack is becoming. I do agree that Musk makes a lot of stupid announcements for things, like the floatability and the bulletproof windows, that distract from the core competencies of Tesla as a brand. And I wish he'd stop that.

On the other hand, the 1000v architecture seems like an actual important upgrade, and I'm excited to see what comes of it. I've grown more sour on Elon as the years have gone by, but the technology that actually makes it to consumers is generally better than or on par with what you'd see elsewhere.
Totally agree. 1000v charging is a great advancement *whenever* it comes. And I believe it will come sooner than we think. If Hyundai and Kia are selling excellent cars with 800v, and Porsche is selling cars with 900v, it has to be the next step. As you said, I wish he would just focus on the real stuff, because there is plenty to be proud of in there. Over the years I just found myself getting more and more annoyed that he wonā€™t do that.

I have seen those comments about max pack orders too, but I certainly donā€™t think that. If you tow or live in a state without as much charging infrastructure it makes complete sense to wait for a max pack. Even if none of those things are true and someone just wants extra range, it is up to each person what they want. I do think, as others have said, that Rivian delayed it to improve the charging and when it is delivered it wonā€™t disappoint. At least I hope soā€¦.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
I'm a little curious if Rivian already supports 800V charging and it needs a SW update for that feature or if that's an R2 feature? I'm still curious how much of a difference it would make.

I think ultrafast charging will eventually rollout to EVs but it'll take a while. Look at how quickly, or slowly, the rollout of even L2 and DC chargers has been. There are 143,000 gas stations, so probably about 1 million gas pumps vs the 53,000 charging stations and 140,000 chargers. That's including Tesla. (https://www.visualcapitalist.com/interactive-ev-charging-stations-across-the-u-s-mapped/)

However, it would be really nice if the R1 already had an 800V architecture just waiting for more capable chargers. There's some discussion here:

Only Rivian knows and they're not telling.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I'll admit I'm actually disappointed they only brought the cybertruck up to 1000V. They should have just gone much higher to really impress the market.
That will be next week's big press relaese.. "Cyber Truck now has 10,000 volt charging capability". Which would actually be brilliant because who could prove them wrong?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Funny you mention PT Barnum...
I usually describe Elon as half PT Barnum/half Edison.. both inventive crooks and swindlers in their on right.
That is so accurate. 2 very brilliant, greasy people :giggle:
Sponsored