First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
So my wife is ok, but she was driving alone in our VW Atlas when she totaled it in a collision with a driver who tried to beat a red light. Now I have to get a new family car. I was expecting to ride out the Atlas until the R1S arrived. On Thursday, the same day the email came notifying me that I have to wait another 6 months to a year for my rivian, this happened.

Rivian R1T R1S Wrecked my family car (pics), buying a new car 52F1D3E1-A03A-477D-ACD5-724DED20E888

Rivian R1T R1S Wrecked my family car (pics), buying a new car C11DF0CD-00D7-4B55-899D-88093B4EE712

When the price bump email came a few months ago, we decided we weren't getting the R1S anymore, because we couldn't justify the $17k price bump. So I started shopping for the replacement car and landed on the Volvo XC90 hybrid. Of course I was elated when rivian rolled back the pricing. But now that I'm being forced into a new car, the Volvo is what I'm about to get.

I really hope my wife doesn't fall in love with the Volvo, because I still want my R1S!
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have an XC90 Recharge, and itā€™s an excellent vehicle. If you do get one, I think youā€™ll like it. I wish they made an all-electric version (hopefully coming in a few years)

If you still want the R1S, take a look at Care By Volvo. They are flexible leases.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
So my wife is ok, but she was driving alone in our VW Atlas when she totaled it in a collision with a driver who tried to beat a red light. Now I have to get a new family car. I was expecting to ride out the Atlas until the R1S arrived. On Thursday, the same day the email came notifying me that I have to wait another 6 months to a year for my rivian, this happened.

52F1D3E1-A03A-477D-ACD5-724DED20E888.jpeg

C11DF0CD-00D7-4B55-899D-88093B4EE712.jpeg

When the price bump email came a few months ago, we decided we weren't getting the R1S anymore, because we couldn't justify the $17k price bump. So I started shopping for the replacement car and landed on the Volvo XC90 hybrid. Of course I was elated when rivian rolled back the pricing. But now that I'm being forced into a new car, the Volvo is what I'm about to get.

I really hope my wife doesn't fall in love with the Volvo, because I still want my R1S!
Very glad to hear that your wife is OK. That's some serious damage to the VW.
You have multiple options these days for electric SUVs, but delivery times are all over the map.
Good luck! I'd be curious to hear back on what you end up buying.

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

I have an XC90 Recharge, and itā€™s an excellent vehicle. If you do get one, I think youā€™ll like it. I wish they made an all-electric version (hopefully coming in a few years)

If you still want the R1S, take a look at Care By Volvo. They are flexible leases.
I was curious about Care By Volvo because Iā€™ve ordered an R1S as well, and who knows if my ā€˜06 Envoy will last until the R1S arrives. The reviews online of Care By Volvo are just atrocious. Iā€™m still considering an Xc90 and plan to test drive one. But according to available reviews, Care By Volvo has been a dumpster fire.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I was very happy with our old XC90. We had that great V8 paired with the Haldex. A relative has it now, still going strongā€¦

The hybrid XC90 was too just too pokey to be a replacement for us but given whatā€™s out there at the moment it would probably be a contenderā€¦

Sponsored

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I donā€™t recall where I saw it, but I think there was a mid year refresh on the recharge model. Perhaps you can get a deal on the old 2022. Iā€™ll find a linkā€¦

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I was very happy with our old XC90. We had that great V8 paired with the Haldex. A relative has it now, still going strongā€¦

The hybrid XC90 was too just too pokey to be a replacement for us but given whatā€™s out there at the moment it would probably be a contenderā€¦
I'm not at all sure what you mean by "pokey". Yes it is a 4-banger, but those cylinders are HUGE. Were you ever able to put the pedal to the metal? A very surprising amount of power when needed. I'm guessing they didn't let you do that on a test drive.

I loved my XC90 Hybrid T8. I only sold it when I did because I ridiculously thought my R1T was coming sO---On.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Glad she's ok. One of my cars was in the shop for what I thought was a minor fender bender. Two months later is when we finally got it back. Then the other one went in for hitting a pot hole. Not sure when the Rivian is getting here so I started looking for another car and the only one I could find was a Jetta. It's a nice "extra" car. Also, heard a lot of good things about the Volvo. I would not get the Care program as no one at the dealer or Volvo knows anything about the program. Better to do a short term lease.

OP
OP
ranieri

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
Thanks for all the feedback. Glad to hear rivian buyers have good things to say about the XC90.

It's really difficult to find right now. They're at the end of the model year, so what's out there is all that's left until October when the 2023s come out. But I found two of them. Both are pretty much fully loaded. One is the R-design, and it has air suspension and the upgraded sound system. I test drove it yesterday and I really like how it drives.

But I actually like the other one, the Inscription, better, without those two features. Going to check out the Inscription on Tuesday and hopefully drive home with it.

Insureit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have an XC90 T8 and an S60 T8 both on the Care subscription. Great program in IMO and both came in less expensive than a "traditional" lease and also includes the insurance. Dealers don't like the program because they make less. I would use the program again in a second if the math worked out correctly. You can get out of the subscription after only 5 months and is the reason why I did it for the XC90. My Rivian will be delivered in the next week and then I can decide to return the XC90.

Onto the XC90 itself. We realy like it. We have an Inscription that is totally loaded. Air suspension, B&O sound, lounge pkg. It has been a great vehicle. Very efficeint with great power when needed. Just get a late 2022 or 2023 with the larger battery. Almost doubles the EV range.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
I have an XC90 T8 and an S60 T8 both on the Care subscription. Great program in IMO and both came in less expensive than a "traditional" lease and also includes the insurance. Dealers don't like the program because they make less. I would use the program again in a second if the math worked out correctly. You can get out of the subscription after only 5 months and is the reason why I did it for the XC90. My Rivian will be delivered in the next week and then I can decide to return the XC90.

Onto the XC90 itself. We realy like it. We have an Inscription that is totally loaded. Air suspension, B&O sound, lounge pkg. It has been a great vehicle. Very efficeint with great power when needed. Just get a late 2022 or 2023 with the larger battery. Almost doubles the EV range.
Honestly, the biggest challenge I had when looking for a more recent XC90 Hybrid T8 was that they are difficult to find at all, then even more difficult to find with a leather interior. I get why they did it, but my Golden Retriever would absolutely destroy a cloth interior. :(
We go to the beach a lot (we live next to one), and she loves to roll in the sand. The leather seating was the only thing that held up to the abuse.

OP
OP
ranieri

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
Update: I got the XC90 Inscription T8 extended range with climate and advanced packages. Crystal white with blond leather interior. Really nice car. Definitely an upgrade from the VW Atlas. I'm enjoying the opportunity to tinker around with charging and regen before my R1S comes.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Update: I got the XC90 Inscription T8 extended range with climate and advanced packages. Crystal white with blond leather interior. Really nice car. Definitely an upgrade from the VW Atlas. I'm enjoying the opportunity to tinker around with charging and regen before my R1S comes.
What year is it? If it has the Bowers and Wilkins sound system you are going to go nuts over the sound.

Ugh. I hate when I post without reading the entire thread. You already answered my questions. Enjoy the XC90!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What year is it? If it has the Bowers and Wilkins sound system you are going to go nuts over the sound.

Ugh. I hate when I post without reading the entire thread. You already answered my questions. Enjoy the XC90!
I miss my Bowers and Wilkins. The Meridian Elevation is so underwhelming, by comparison.
Sponsored