Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Side-note: Is that a child modeling the wrist band? My wrists aren't huge but the wristband is only comfortable on the largest setting,
What is this, a wristband for ANTS?!

Rivian R1T R1S Wristband Key "coming soon" to Adventure Shop IMG_20230512_075431
Sponsored

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Some actually came with it and the rest got an IOU. How long it took for that IOU to be satisfied varies and Neil deGrasse Tyson couldn't even explain the formula used to determine order of fulfillment.

I waited almost a year to get my wristband.
It took a year for me to get my wristband, and they delivered a defective one that was DOA. Radio silence on a replacement so I’ve given up hope.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

What is this, a wristband for ANTS?!

IMG_20230512_075431.gif
I can confirm, it is indeed a wristband for ants.

I was very disappointed that it didn't fit my wrist. I even complained on the survey from the first mile event that their wristbands were too small.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I can confirm, it is indeed a wristband for ants.

I was very disappointed that it didn't fit my wrist. I even complained on the survey from the first mile event that their wristbands were too small.
Have you tried your ankle?

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Those annoyed by PAAK should be warned the wristband will likely drive you mad. The hunt to get it in just the right spot to unlock and start the vehicle is hugely frustrating for me. Not to mention kinda needing it on my right wrist as I normally approach my car door and then on my left wrist to start the truck. (No, I don't switch wrists with it, but I'm getting older...flexibility & contortionism are not strong suits. 😁) I know it's a specific use case kind of thing, and I have a couple of those "don't have my phone/card/fob" with me cases, but after trying it for a while I have it stashed away until another such use arises. The other three keys are a much better day-to-day answer.

Completely agree on the watch comments. Smart watch integration would be a game changer.
Same here. I tried using it a few times surfing and it was frustrating to get the car door unlocked. I thought the key card was frustrating but after struggling with the wrist band, the key card is a piece of cake in comparison. lol

Sponsored

EileenB

First Name
Eileen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla YLR, Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD
Occupation
Educator
Same here. I tried using it a few times surfing and it was frustrating to get the car door unlocked. I thought the key card was frustrating but after struggling with the wrist band, the key card is a piece of cake in comparison. lol
Can’t your phone work to unlock and control functions on the car or is it not like Tesla that way? I hope that eventually there will be an aftermarket ring that can be used. I have one for my Tesla Y and it is so convenient!
Sounds like the wristband isn’t going to fit me either as I wear a large band with my Apple Watch. (My R1S LE is being delivered on Tuesday so we’ll see if the wristband comes with it!)

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Adding a smart watch key will cannibalize sales of their wrist solution, wondering if that will affect their decision as to whether or not to provide that option.
I could see them marketing their wrist solution as the rugged adventurous option. Take it biking, hiking, swimming, rock climbing, surfing, without worrying about it.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Can’t your phone work to unlock and control functions on the car or is it not like Tesla that way? I hope that eventually there will be an aftermarket ring that can be used. I have one for my Tesla Y and it is so convenient!
Sounds like the wristband isn’t going to fit me either as I wear a large band with my Apple Watch. (My R1S LE is being delivered on Tuesday so we’ll see if the wristband comes with it!)
It can but while I’m surfing, I leave my phone locked in the truck with the Bluetooth turned off.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Old info. Image is from a video they made on all key options from a year ago. Things have changed. And by most accounts, from those with first-wrist experience, it doesn't work very well. Nor does it age well after 1 year of use/wear.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

seems like lots of people want it, why not sell it.

Sponsored

TuggyTooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Silverado LBZ, 2023 Rivian R1S LE FG/FE
Occupation
Military
I think the frustration is the spotty PaaK functioning. I have to cycle my phone (Z Fold 3) in/out of airplane mode whenever I want to use it at home (I assume because of maintaining proximity). Alternatively, I open the app and hit unlock lol.

For us Android users, a stop gap would be setting up an automation with Tasker to auto cycle airplane mode.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Old info. Image is from a video they made on all key options from a year ago. Things have changed. And by most accounts, from those with first-wrist experience, it doesn't work very well. Nor does it age well after 1 year of use/wear.
Been wearing mine basically since it came in... September I think? Haven't had issues with it at all, you just have to be patient since the truck is slow to read it when it's asleep. It used to be faster but that was back when phantom drain was really bad because the truck wasn't sleeping. I'd rather wait the 8 seconds than have the truck waste 5%+ of the battery pack every day.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Been wearing mine basically since it came in... September I think? Haven't had issues with it at all, you just have to be patient since the truck is slow to read it when it's asleep. It used to be faster but that was back when phantom drain was really bad because the truck wasn't sleeping. I'd rather wait the 8 seconds than have the truck waste 5%+ of the battery pack every day.
There is a Farcebook group and one of its members posted pictures of his after a month of near 24/7 wear. His key band is discolored and disintegrating. Maybe he has highly acidic sweat. Personally, save from charging, I wear my Apple Watch almost all the time. If Rivian can get Apple Watch As Key working better than their PAAK (and VP of Software said they are testing it), I'd prefer that over the wristband.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
There is a Farcebook group and one of its members posted pictures of his after a month of near 24/7 wear. His key band is discolored and disintegrating. Maybe he has highly acidic sweat. Personally, save from charging, I wear my Apple Watch almost all the time. If Rivian can get Apple Watch As Key working better than their PAAK (and VP of Software said they are testing it), I'd prefer that over the wristband.
Weird. I've worn mine daily for a year, and I also have one that is brand new. I can't tell the difference.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Side-note: Is that a child modeling the wrist band?
Don't see what that has anything to do with anything... But if you must know, it's a young asian woman. Official video from 5/6/2022:

Adding a smart watch key will cannibalize sales of their wrist solution, wondering if that will affect their decision as to whether or not to provide that option.
As of April of this year, in an installment of "Rivian Responds" in subreddit r/Rivian, they told the sub there are currently no plans to offer the wristband in the Gear Shop; a 180° from what was said a year ago. The key band is LE only. Unless they changed their mind yet again, in just a couple weeks, the tutorial content is meant only for those who are still taking LE deliveries via R1 Shop or otherwise. Separate from that, either during an event held at Venice Hub (for SoCal owners/reservation holders) or the Instagram Q&A, VP of Software (Wassym) said they are in testing with Apple Watch As Key. Roughly a year ago, on reddit, he told me "it is on the development roadmap". Progress.
Sponsored

Last edited: