Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rivian-moves-more-engineers-near-ev-factory-to-speed-up-output-5dd33a64

Electric-vehicle maker Rivian Automotive Inc. RIVN -0.66%decrease; red down pointing triangle is relocating parts of its manufacturing engineering team to its Illinois factory as part of a reorganization aimed at speeding up production, according to a person familiar with the plan.

The reorganization is expected to be announced soon and will result in a significant portion of the engineering team that works on manufacturing-related tasks being asked to relocate from around the country to central Illinois or the companyā€™s headquarters in Irvine, Calif., the person said.

The young company is in part trying to centralize more of its workforce. During the Covid-19 pandemic, Rivian hired engineers wherever it could find them and allowed them to work remotely, the person familiar with the plans said.

As a result its employees are scattered across the U.S. in states like Michigan, Texas and Virginia, in addition to those located at the headquarters and in Illinois, the person added.

The relocations come as Rivian is overhauling its sole production facility to expand both the speed and capacity of its assembly lines. The team being relocated to Normal, Ill. is responsible for the design and functioning of the factory, from the machines that help build the vehicles to layout of the assembly line.

It couldnā€™t be learned how many employees would be affected by the reorganization.

So far, management has had some conversations with the manufacturing-engineering team, and a few dozen employees have indicated an unwillingness to move, the person said. For those who wonā€™t relocate, Rivian plans to offer them severance and fill vacancies created with new hires, the person said.

The company, which employs about 14,000 workers, went public in late 2021 and grew rapidly during a period where remote work was the norm.

The company has run into a litany of problems on the manufacturing floor, including parts shortages and other logistical snags, following the launch of its first all-electric modelsā€”the R1T pickup truck and R1S sport-utility vehicleā€”in 2021.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Seems like a wise move. And I also donā€™t blame anyone who doesnā€™t want to move to Normal (without a healthy raisešŸ˜Œ).

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is for manufacturing engineers, for the article. These people are responsible for designing the plant and equipment to produce the cars
Probably the same situation for design engineers at the time though. Unless the tonneau cover was finalized before the pandemic?

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Not going to be an easy sell. Many of the engineers will likely look elsewhere for employment.

Reactions: Rad

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Article says a few dozen showed resistance. I think with enough salary boost, eg 15-20%, a lot will go along.
A few dozen is a pretty big percentage of manufacturing engineers on this line.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Seems like a wise move. And I also donā€™t blame anyone who doesnā€™t want to move to Normal (without a healthy raisešŸ˜Œ).
From many places in the country, if they do not adjust the salary like many companies do, just moving to Normal would be a healthy raise based on cost of living.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From many places in the country, if they do not adjust the salary like many companies do, just moving to Normal would be a healthy raise based on cost of living.
Great point. Certainly cheaper than CA. I was selfishly thinking only that I would need a raise to live through Chicago winters :CWL:

Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Great point. Certainly cheaper than CA. I was selfishly thinking only that I would need a raise to live through Chicago winters :CWL:
Normal, IL and Chicago, IL are about 130 miles apart. Winters can be quite different, mainly due to the weird effects of Lake Michigan.

I grew up in Chicago (city limits, not suburbia) and went to college in Champaign, IL which is not far from Normal. And yes - living in central IL is not the most exciting place, but with low cost of living, hopefully these newly transplanted engineers can both live large locally and save significantly for an early retirement. That said, small college towns can have a lot of charm and decent enough culture to keep one entertained, happy, and sane. Chicago is also a short drive for a livelier weekend getaway.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Normal, IL and Chicago, IL are about 130 miles apart. Winters can be quite different, mainly due to the weird effects of Lake Michigan.

I grew up in Chicago (city limits, not suburbia) and went to college in Champaign, IL which is not far from Normal. And yes - living in central IL is not the most exciting place, but with low cost of living, hopefully these newly transplanted engineers can both live large locally and save significantly for an early retirement. That said, small college towns can have a lot of charm and decent enough culture to keep one entertained, happy, and sane. Chicago is also a short drive for a livelier weekend getaway.
Ah, ok. For some reason Iā€™ve been under the impression it was like 30 or 40 miles outside of Chicago. I should have looked it up before opening my word holešŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø Thank you for the correction!

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
SW you can get away with having scattered Engineers.

Mechanical, Electrical, and Firmware not so much.

It's not so surprising to me that my Rivian R1T is plagued by Mechanical (tok, tok, tok), and Firmware issues.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I was selfishly thinking only that I would need a raise to live through Chicago winters :CWL:
Chicago has Chicago winters. Central Illinois, including Normal, rarely gets snow. Public schools declare more "snow days" because of wind chill than actual snow.

Oh, it used to snow in central Illinois. I clearly remember shoveling the barn driveway in 1964.
Rivian R1T R1S (WSJ) Rivian Moves More Engineers Near Normal Factory to Speed Up Output Snow scooping 1964

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Chicago is also a short drive for a livelier weekend getaway.
Just make sure you visit an Electrify America 350kw charger before heading back to Normal.
Sponsored