Sponsored

You have got to be f’ing kidding! (Rant about Rivian windshield issues)

Scoop

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Volvo XC90
Occupation
Retired
When you tap on the windshield, the sound tells you everything! Of course don’t tap to hard or you’ll be sweeping up glass.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You know, I didn’t even think of that and I’m getting the windshield tinted soon.. but I don’t think they’d cover tint.
When I asked my place about quoting windshield tint again, they offered to send me a copy "for insurance claim" so it sounds like something somewhere covers it. I just wonder who/what the claim would be 🤔

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
The irony of this is that I've had chip in my Telsa windshield in the first year of ownership. but nothing on the Rivian yet. Better find some wood to knock on now.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I've gotten two rock chips that needed to be filled since March. In my other 8 previous cars over 25 years of driving I've only had 1 other rock chip in a windshield.

Granted some of that is luck but I've taken some pretty big debris hits on both my VWs and volvos with no cracks or anything.

I do feel our windshields are much weaker overall.
I got a chip within the first month. The glass doesn’t seem that substantial. I’ve been driving since 1966 and this was my third chip

Sponsored

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Looks like I joined the windshield chip club on day one of ownership.

I heard two small strikes on the drive from home from OC to SF yesterday. Didn’t see the chips until my daughter pointed one out this evening.

Ordered a couple of repair kits. Fingers crossed that the chips don’t spread before I can fill them.
I got anxious about the cracks spreading and stopped by an auto glass shop near my office. Only one needed to be filled. The other is not cracked, just a surface chip. Fixed in less than an hour for $50.

The owner was optimistic that, since the windshield is made by Fuyao, aftermarket replacements will be be available in the future. He also noted that it is simple and conventional windshield design that would be very easy to replace in about 45 min.

By contrast he had lots of complaints about Tesla glass. It has to come from Tesla and is not available in bulk, only one piece at a time.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Anybody notice how cheap the door glass looks? When the window is part down, that sharp corner in the glass where it meets the top of the A-pillar? Looks like it was manufactured out in the shed.
The front windows are laminated glass. It’s two thin sheets of glass with a piece of plastic film and adhesive between them. You can feel the layers on the edges. This is how laminated windows from other brands feel, as well, in my experience.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

My model 3 got a huge rock chip less than 1 month after ownership. We fixed and filled it - no issues since!
Since I'll be picking up my Rivian soon, I should probably pick up a couple glass repair kits, as well. 🤔😆

What model/type of kit is everyone having good success with these days?

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
The front windows are laminated glass. It’s two thin sheets of glass with a piece of plastic film and adhesive between them. You can feel the layers on the edges. This is how laminated windows from other brands feel, as well, in my experience.
yes appreciate that it’s laminated. But I agree with gmoney the edge being so sharp vs rounded bothers me a bit. Any other manufacturers that have such a “sharp” edge on the front windows? Seems like most are more rounded.

Sponsored

Deleted member 11292

I'm talking about the shape. The last car I had that didn't have a smooth corner or arc between the front and top of the front side windows was a '70 Dodge Dart.

It's a minor thing, but it looks cheap and my eye is drawn there whenever the window is down.

krsoundtek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have seen this thread going for a while and didn't comment because I assumed I would get a crack any day. (knock on wood). I have about 17K miles on the R1T and still have no cracks. Multiple rocks have hit the windshield, including one today and so far no issues. In the last 5 years the other vehicles we drive have had a total of 5 windshields replaced due to rocks on that same commute. (Kia Stinger twice, Volvo XC90 twice, and Jeep GC) The Volvo XC90 windshield is about the same cost as the R1T.

jbrumsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Miata RF, F-Pace S, Backdraft Cobra
Occupation
IT
A first for me today.... Pulled the truck out of the garage to wash it (in the shade and with a sponge) and when I went to dry it I found that I now have a huge crack running top to bottom across the middle of the windshield. I didn't have any noticeable cracks or rock chips prior to washing so I can only assume the coolish water caused the crack.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
A first for me today.... Pulled the truck out of the garage to wash it (in the shade and with a sponge) and when I went to dry it I found that I now have a huge crack running top to bottom across the middle of the windshield. I didn't have any noticeable cracks or rock chips prior to washing so I can only assume the coolish water caused the crack.
That's what we call the "Rivian Surprise".

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Has anyone tried using a windshield protection film product, such as ExoShield, to prevent damage from rocks?
Sponsored