Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2016 Ford Expedition
Clubs

I've been looking at one of these as a solution for overlanding / car camping:
https://www.egoe-nest.eu/en/camper/
Their only distributor in the US happens to be in the Denver area:
https://earthshipoverland.com/
Although they say this fits in much smaller vehicles, I'm wondering if it can be set up comfortably in an R1S, where the actual floor to ceiling height seems relatively low. Doing the conversion, and looking at the dimensions behind the 3rd row that have been previously shown, it seems like this might be a very tight fit to get it behind the lip (20.4" deep compared to the 20" shown). You could raise it up and ingress into the space where the 3rd row would be folded down, but again I'm wondering about how cramped it would be to sleep on. Creating the ramp to get to the "flat floor" configuration probably wouldn't be ideal b/c then your kitchen setup would be slanted when you pulled it out.
So...if Earthship Overland could outfit one for you and you could test it, that would be amazing!
Sponsored

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
How about maxing out the onboard power outlets? Max instantaneous power before they kick off ( measured with a KillaWatt type meter?), and does it derate at all after long term high power use?

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

@OutofSpecKyle

How soon after your test drive do you think it will be before you take delivery?

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Hi all

We will have a R1S review truck for the next 7 days here in Colorado. As some of you know, we also have a R1T and will be filming all of the comparisons. Expect similar coverage to when we first reviewed the R1T earlier this year but wanted to answer all of your questions in a single video! If there's anything you've been wanting to see comment it here and we'll make sure to cover it.

Thanks!
Kyle
Comparison to other EV SUVs:
Passenger space and comfort
Ride quality
Infotainment
Storage capacity

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Thanks @OutofSpecKyle for the content, watching the video now. I think it would be cool to see you do some donuts and compare the turning to the R1T. Does it feel noticeably different?

Here's my other big question - how does the R1S compare to other SUV's from a size perspective? I've seen all the measurements and laid out the painters tape on my garage (it will fit) but I'm wondering how the space feels vs. most recently my 2018 Armada. I had a 1988 K5 Blazer, 1991 Bronco, 1994 4runner, 2000 land cruiser (loved that beast), a 2008 Sequoia, and a 2018 Nissan Armada. Based on the measurements I think this truck will be big enough for me and will be goldilocks like in all dimensions for my personal use (small wife, 2 growing boys, small dog the size of a fat cat). But it sure would be cool to see you and your team jump in and out of a few different SUVs (4Runner, Tahoe, etc.) and just see how the R1S feels vs. all of those.

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Thanks @OutofSpecKyle
Here's my other big question - how does the R1S compare to other SUV's from a size perspective? I've seen all the measurements and laid out the painters tape on my garage (it will fit) but I'm wondering how the space feels vs. most recently my 2018 Armada. I had a 1988 K5 Blazer, 1991 Bronco, 1994 4runner, 2000 land cruiser (loved that beast), a 2008 Sequoia, and a 2018 Nissan Armada. Based on the measurements I think this truck will be big enough for me and will be goldilocks like in all dimensions for my personal use (small wife, 2 growing boys, small dog the size of a fat cat). But it sure would be cool to see you and your team jump in and out of a few different SUVs (4Runner, Tahoe, etc.) and just see how the R1S feels vs. all of those.
I agree this vehicle matches up really favorably with the the 3 row midsize SUVs and I would like a comparison to those. These include the Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, Subaru Ascent, Honda Pilot. I think the Tahoe or Expedition are full size SUVs and are much larger.

I currently own a Subaru Ascent and the size is similar but has true off road capabilities which is why I view it as the fully electric replacement.

shimps1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

@OutofSpecKyle I just watched your "R1S Family Review," and I was really hoping you would put the front facing seats into the second row, to see what access to the third row is like. I like what you showed, but the situation your friend is in only really applies to families with 3+ kids. No one I know who has 1 or 2 kids has them sitting in the third row. As a person with two kids, both of my kids sit in the second row. I have no concerns with them having room back there, but I am concerned about getting to the third row, with two forward facing car seats installed. Would you be able to do a follow up and address that question?

Specifically, if you can take one of the pink car seats, that his older girls sit in, and place it in one of the outboard second row seats, and see if there is enough room behind the second row to climb back to the third wit the second row slid forward. Obviously the folding forward recline won't work since there is a seat there. This situation would come up if say I wanted to drive my two parents along with us for a trip, so I'd be driving, my Dad in the front seat, my Mom in between the carseats on the bench seat, and my wife would be in the third row, so she would need to be able to climb back there, while both car seats remain installed.

My concern about this is we are coming from a Yukon with captains chairs in the second row, so you can climb in front of the car seats and through the aisle to get to the third row. With the bench seat in the Rivian, that is not possible.

I am reaching now, but that stroller he had as well was absolutely gigantic, and not representative of a normal 1 child stroller at all. Would you be able to get a hold of a normal single seat stroller to see if it would fit behind the third row? My suspicion is that it would, without having to remove the floor at all.

IMO, the biggest mistake Rivian made was not offering captains chairs in the second row in the R1S. Very minor complaint overall, but that aisle space is immensly useful.
Sponsored