Sponsored

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Had the opportunity to go for a beautiful drive in the Pacific Northwest with the family and pooch today. Stopped for lunch at a place with a sloped parking lot. Wanted to make sure pooch was as comfy as possible while we went inside and ate so fired up camp mode auto leveling and turned on pet comfort mode. Result? One happy pooch!

Might be hard to tell from the pictures but it's actually a pretty significant slope that we are parked on, but the Rivian made things flat as a pancake!

View looking uphill (note Happy pooch in the back on his Canvasback mats :)

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Mode + Pet Comfort Mode For the Win! 20221111_145220

View looking downhill

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Mode + Pet Comfort Mode For the Win! 20221111_145158

View from back (flat as a pancake)

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Mode + Pet Comfort Mode For the Win! 20221111_145209
Sponsored

Qbdoo

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Works-Electric Rover
Clubs

Your use of the great Rivian features enabling comforts for your dog is very cool! And your pictures inspired a couple other questions regarding exterior color choice, especially living in the Northwest. We see a lot of gray days similar to your pictures. Your El Cap R1S looks really good by the way!
Do you ever feel like the R1S gets "lost" on those gray days? It looks like with the fleck, the color changes depending on light (i.e. looking up hill the color looks grayish. downhill and rear looks darker with some subtle blue tones). How does it look in our sunlight? Does it look different than all the other grayish toned vehicles we live amongst? We are still unsure of our R1S color selection (El Cap or GW, for now, but we've configured every color :headbang::)) and appreciate your opinion.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
What about the pooch smell that is trapped in there with all the windows up? :giggle:

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Your use of the great Rivian features enabling comforts for your dog is very cool! And your pictures inspired a couple other questions regarding exterior color choice, especially living in the Northwest. We see a lot of gray days similar to your pictures. Your El Cap R1S looks really good by the way!
Do you ever feel like the R1S gets "lost" on those gray days? It looks like with the fleck, the color changes depending on light (i.e. looking up hill the color looks grayish. downhill and rear looks darker with some subtle blue tones). How does it look in our sunlight? Does it look different than all the other grayish toned vehicles we live amongst? We are still unsure of our R1S color selection (El Cap or GW, for now, but we've configured every color :headbang::)) and appreciate your opinion.
First let me say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I take no responsibility whatsoever for any choice you do or don't make based on my color feedback. :) With that caveat let the dispensation of opinion on colors commence...

Like you we vacillated between many of the color choices (as I know many others have) The short form of how we arrived at our color choice looks something like this...

• Started with blue because blue is my favorite color
  • After seeing the blue it wasn't 'my type of blue' (think Subaru 555 rally era blue)
  • Switched to red for a while
  • After seeing the red at a certain time of day it was mostly orange, so wasn't really our look
  • Switched to white for a while
  • After seeing it in person it didn't have much 'flecking'
  • Also both white and black tend to require a bit more 'maintenance' to keep looking really nice
  • Switch to green for a bit
  • Saw the El Cap in person and it had the deepest color with the most flecking (to my eye)
  • Grey tends to look relatively consistent even when a bit dirty (and I'm lazy)
As many others have said Rivian's colors really look different in different light. I believe I saw a video where the designers said this was very much intentional. As a result I love the red in a certain light, and don't like it so much in others. Kind of like this Seinfeld episode for those who are old enough to get those references...

Seinfeld Lighting

So to answer your specific questions...
  • On a grey day it's a grey truck
  • On lighter days it shimmers
  • It has the 'deepest' paint color of the Rivian colors I've seen in person (looks layered)
  • Has a blue tinge in certain lighting conditions
  • Looks good even when not polished to a gleam
Tons of other fun colors though and I'm sure whatever you decide you'll love. I like the look of the white when it's super clean and shiny, not so much when it's even marginally dirty but again just personal taste.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
An unworthy comment for a man of your avatar and name. :)
I guess it depends on the dog… If I left mine in there sealed up it would smell and feel like a Louisiana shrimp boat after only 10 minutes:asshat:
Sponsored