Sponsored

Interesting Find While Installing New Mats

puman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Found the “device” in the attached pictures while replacing my floormats with @AO_Pete ’s all weather mats this weekend. (Speaking of which if anyone has hints for getting those things to snap in, please lmk)

No clue what this device is. I’m 99% sure it’s leftover from the manufacturing process. I found it slightly stuck into the carpet under the OE floor mat on the passenger side rear floor (see picture). It’s marked with “30v” and it’s very sharp, looks like a needle. Mostly, I just want to make sure it’s not needed for anything important, but also yikes guys let’s not leave sharp items on the floor, eh?

Rivian R1T R1S Interesting Find While Installing New Mats IMG_9093

Rivian R1T R1S Interesting Find While Installing New Mats IMG_9092

Rivian R1T R1S Interesting Find While Installing New Mats IMG_9091
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Looks like the end of a voltage/continuity check wire. Unsure though - what’s on the other, non-pointy end?

Also, I found an Anker USB-C to Ethernet dongle under the passenger seat last week when I was cleaning the truck. Must have been there a while since I haven’t had it in for service in many months.

OP
OP
puman00

puman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah I assumed some sort of electric monitoring tool too, but found it puzzling that it’s sharp! 😆 other side is definitely metal

Rivian R1T R1S Interesting Find While Installing New Mats IMG_9095

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
It's a multimeter or oscilliscope test probe, specifically shaped for piercing insulation. Here's one option of them for sale. Probably got missed after the last service. Most diagnostic work is done by probing and checking electrical signals in the truck.

OP
OP
puman00

puman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ah interesting. No service appointments for me yet 🤞🏼, so it must have been a part of the factory gate and final delivery checks too, interestingly

Sponsored

OP
OP
puman00

puman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A rubber mallet works great. They get easier to snap after snapping them in and out a few times.
Woof thanks. Good to know it’s not just me struggling 😆

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
A rubber mallet works great. They get easier to snap after snapping them in and out a few times.
Good tip - thanks!

Also, on the subject of finds, this is behind the front CC panel, if anyone's interested.
Rivian R1T R1S Interesting Find While Installing New Mats 1692479349235

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Found the “device” in the attached pictures while replacing my floormats with @AO_Pete ’s all weather mats this weekend. (Speaking of which if anyone has hints for getting those things to snap in, please lmk)

No clue what this device is. I’m 99% sure it’s leftover from the manufacturing process. I found it slightly stuck into the carpet under the OE floor mat on the passenger side rear floor (see picture). It’s marked with “30v” and it’s very sharp, looks like a needle. Mostly, I just want to make sure it’s not needed for anything important, but also yikes guys let’s not leave sharp items on the floor, eh?

IMG_9093.jpeg

IMG_9092.jpeg

IMG_9091.jpeg
Just a somewhat related reminder about the all weather mats.....They fit a lot better if you first take out the OEM mats. Don't ask how many months it took me to figure that out.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
I still had a hard time with ours (the version I did have was pre-production, so didn't have the snap-on clips). For anyone reading this, hang tight, I'm checking other options to make them easier to snap in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
puman00

puman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I still had a hard time with ours (the version I did have was pre-production, so didn't have the snap-on clips). For anyone reading this, hang tight, I'm checking other options to make them easier to snap in.
Just let me know if you need anything from me. I’ll take another whack at it (literally) tomorrow

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
We're going to get a revised version of the clips made that are about 0.8mm wider. Then they'll just need a firm shove with the palm of your hand, rather than going ham with a mallet.

I'm guessing it'll be 7-10 days before we have them, but, we'll proactively send them out to exist mat owners, and then include in the package for new orders. Sorry about this, it seems there was a versioning issue on the clips, we ended up with the Ford version (literally) installed into the Rivian mats.
Sponsored