Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I love this little thing.

Insert funny one liner about how that’s what she said

No seriously. This thing is freaking cool.

It’s compact, has a built in key lock , good customer service and warranty, it’s overbuilt like my Rivian to handle 20 kW aka future proofing.

Instead of charging at a DCFC location to get to 95%-100% state of charge for my return trip, I can just use the free Tesla destination charger at the hotel and save $15-$30. I also avoid the J-1772 charger @ 6 kw and instead get 8.9 kW with Tesla. Nice to have options.

The GM at the hotel was nice enough to let me use a spot in Valet because the self parking charging was full.

As soon as you plug in the adapter and attach it to the car it will throw a red warning light. It takes like 10 seconds to start. I think it’s going from Tesla to J-1772 charging mode.

Next month I’ll be doing the same thing for one week and avoid charging at a paid location.

It’s out of stock right now but you should put this on your list of items to have with you at all times.

Feel free to use the forum discount code “RIV” to save $$$ once it’s back in stock.

Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

A2Z EV Tesla Supercharger Adapter for Rivian - Save 10% + FREE shipping with discount code "RIV". 12 Months Warranty

This post and future posts may contain links to affiliate website, and we may receive a commission for any purchase made by you on the affiliate website. Our affiliates include GoAFFpro and Shareasale.

1718476310879-p5.png

IMG_3015.png

IMG_2999.jpeg

1718476329632-z1.png

IMG_3006.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

1718476339969-7f.png

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_3005.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3013.png

IMG_3012.jpeg

IMG_3011.jpeg

IMG_3009.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

@n!m@l!@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MDX, 2016 RX350, 2018 Tacoma
I ordered the bundle which includes this and the DCFC adapter. I received the adapter yesterday and it works great. I called them and they assured me that my Stellar adapter is shipping out on Monday. They said they just received a few units to allocate to recent orders.

wjhdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5
Clubs

Yep. I also got my DCFC adapter moments ago. Looking forward to testing it out and using it on the road. They told me that Stellar adapter should be back in stock Monday for shipping out. Looking forward to having all the option available whenever I'm travelling =D

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
This post is timely for me. So the bundle has just 2 products right - one for use with hotels and home chargers and another for DCFC - both for Tesla. There were 3 links but 2 looking similar so wasn’t sure if a typo or something

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
Anyway, site says unavailable atm

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This post is timely for me. So the bundle has just 2 products right - one for use with hotels and home chargers and another for DCFC - both for Tesla. There were 3 links but 2 looking similar so wasn’t sure if a typo or something
Anyway, site says unavailable atm
Only two links. I’ll update the original post.

If you need both, you can bundle it by using the drop down on the Typhoon page to save even further and stack that with the forum discount code “RIV”.

We will have to ask @A2ZEV if they have any insight on availability for both Typhoon DCFC Supercharger adapter and Stellar AC Hotel Tesla Destination adapter.

I was able to pull down 40 kWh at no cost while parked in my hotel underground parking spot.

IMG_3035.png
IMG_3036.png

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I was able to avoid paying for 50 kWh of power on the road and have a full charge before I head out thanks to the A2Z Stellar Tesla to J-1772 adapter.

With the built in lock, I didn’t have to worry about anyone removing my adapter or disconnecting my session.

IMG_3293.png

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I love this little thing.

Insert funny one liner about how that’s what she said
Thank you for saving one or more of us the time and trouble of typing that obligatory comment. :like:

Philder

First Name
Philder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
RN
I had a Tesla wall connector before buying RS1 and only had to buy this to be able to charge at home. It has made my life easy and I can travel with it

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

While I do have one of these, and do use it regularly, the "pay for itself" is disingenuous since just using the J1772 would save even the cost of this.

And unless you're draining your vehicle to 0%, and absolutely need 100% first thing the next morning, the 6kW vs. 8kW shouldn't make that big a difference.

(And heck, I've seen hotels where the J1772 is higher power than the Tesla Destination. Or one hotel with Tesla Destination costs far more to stay at than a nearby hotel with J1772.)

Sponsored

dradam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S OC LA Silver 21 as of Nov 3, 2022 !!
could someone explain ... if a teslas nacs port can accept a wall charger level 1 or 2 as well as DC fast charger, why isn't there a single tesla to rivian adaptor that can do both? or is there?
TIA

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
I Ponder this sometimes,

EV's are the new Lightening port vs USB-C battle.

We are entering this new era of a world where we have huge amounts of CCS chargers that are now becoming obsolete.

We will have Old CCS cars that need NACS Adapters
and we will have NEW NACS cars that need CCS Adapters.

We are entering the new "dongle hell" where it's going to be a long time of everyone carrying adapters in their trunk.. with two camps.. NACS->CCS ppl and CCS->NACS people

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

While I do have one of these, and do use it regularly, the "pay for itself" is disingenuous since just using the J1772 would save even the cost of this.

And unless you're draining your vehicle to 0%, and absolutely need 100% first thing the next morning, the 6kW vs. 8kW shouldn't make that big a difference.

(And heck, I've seen hotels where the J1772 is higher power than the Tesla Destination. Or one hotel with Tesla Destination costs far more to stay at than a nearby hotel with J1772.)
As the saying always goes, time is money.

I charge my employer for my time yet no one pays me to wait while my car charges at a DCFC

The two level 2 J-1772 chargers were always under use this weekend. I would not have been able to charge at the hotel and save time or money if I was only relying on J-1772

Having the Tesla adapter meant I went from have 2 J-1772 Level 2 chargers that were always under use to having 6 level 2 chargers by including the 4 Tesla destination chargers.

By pulling down 50 kWh at no cost and saving 20-30 minutes, I can easily see how this adapter will pay for itself by having more charging options and saving one DCFC stop every night I’m at a hotel with Tesla destination charger.

as the saying always goes,

time is money. I save time and I save money by having access to J-1772 and Tesla destination charger.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23R1S(DM,Max); '23R1T(QM,Lg); '23 & '19 Bolts
As the saying always goes, time is money.

I charge my employer for my time yet no one pays me to wait while my car charges at a DCFC

The two level 2 J-1772 chargers were always under use this weekend. I would not have been able to charge at the hotel and save time or money if I was only relying on J-1772

Having the Tesla adapter meant I went from have 2 J-1772 Level 2 chargers that were always under use to having 6 level 2 chargers by including the 4 Tesla destination chargers.

By pulling down 50 kWh at no cost and saving 20-30 minutes, I can easily see how this adapter will pay for itself by having more charging options and saving one DCFC stop every night I’m at a hotel with Tesla destination charger.

as the saying always goes,

time is money. I save time and I save money by having access to J-1772 and Tesla destination charger.
I agree with both @MidnightRivian and @CharonPDX. It's unusual, but there are hotels with faster J-1772 and slower Tesla Destination chargers. In most cases, either speed is OK -- but faster is usually better with a big vehicle like our Rivians. PlugShare is our friend for all charger information, especially if we all help keep it updated.

Where our TeslaTap 80-amp AC adapters shine is when a hotel has Tesla Destination chargers and no J-1772, or when it has both kinds but the J-1772 are all filled. Then the adapter is the difference between something (usually 8 kW) and nothing for an overnight stay. THAT's a big savings! It has paid for the adapter in our R1S, and it will soon pay for the adapter in our R1T. Very grateful!

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
We will have to ask @A2ZEV if they have any insight on availability for both Typhoon DCFC Supercharger adapter and Stellar AC Hotel Tesla Destination adapter.
I subscribed to be notified for stock and jumped on the NACS to CCS1 adapter but the bundle wasn't available. I need it for a weekend trip so called and had them add overnight shipping for $15 (not bad after the "RIV" discount).

why isn't there a single tesla to rivian adaptor that can do both? or is there
I think that having a single connector/adapter is what the NACS attempts to solve - Level 1, 2 and DCFC all in one. CCS1 is, in layman terms, J1772 + the extra ports for DCFC..but now that I think about it, maybe someone can design something like what you ask. (Help, experts!)

I can just use the free Tesla destination charger at the hotel and save $
Idk - is that common for hotels to have free Tesla destination chargers? Like if a hotel has "EV charging point" as amenities, what're the chances they're Tesla vs J1772? And Tesla ones generally mean more power?
Sponsored