Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I'm hoping this little guy will keep an eye out and be an added layer of deterrent from anyone whose nefarious intentions may otherwise be thwarted by knowing they'll be susceptible to the prying eyes of Gary here...!

Rivian R1T R1S Adding a little extra Security to the Truck, yeti-style 1719075965854-h6

Rivian R1T R1S Adding a little extra Security to the Truck, yeti-style 1719075912137-2x

Think it'll work?
(I was originally going to put this guy on the tailgate, but...I definitely only have a gen 1 R1T :D)
Sponsored

OP
OP
R1Thor

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Where did you come by this Gary?
I made him :)

A few fellow enthusiasts on Discord helped me find a straight-on image of the R2 Quad's Gary Decal, and I used the photo as an overlay in CAD to rebuild him. I happen to have multi-material 3d printing capabilities, so I was able to paint with multi-color filament.

Made from PETG, of course, so he should last out in the elements for some time!

Sponsored

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Did you already have PETG in all those colors? If not, that’s one expensive Gary!

I’m thinking about going in on Bambu’s anniversary sale and upgrading to an A1 with a 4 color AMS unit. And then I see you printed Gary with 5 colors! Arghh! :)

OP
OP
R1Thor

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Did you already have PETG in all those colors? If not, that’s one expensive Gary!
I did have all of those colors in PLA--originally printed him (actually, I had BETTER colors in PLA):
Rivian R1T R1S Adding a little extra Security to the Truck, yeti-style 1719085044482-xl

But since I wanted a Gary for my tailgate, I found some ...close enough equivalents in PETG. (PLA definitely has a more widely available color library, but PETG is much better in outdoor/hot/weather environments.

Then when I was debating adding him to my tailgate, I realized 1- I didn't (personal choice) want to misrepresent my non Gen2 Quad like guys with a standard 3-series adding "M" badging and pretending they're faster than they are and 2- I was worried VHB would mess with my tailgate PPF if I decided to remove it later.

I’m thinking about going in on Bambu’s anniversary sale and upgrading to an A1 with a 4 color AMS unit. And then I see you printed Gary with 5 colors! Arghh! :)
I absolutely endorse BambuLab. I LOVE their printers so much I own 2 of them with 4 total AMS.
THAT said, it's actually a 6-color print: white, gold, orange, red, blue, black!

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Very cool. I feel like you could make these and sell them. Of course Rivian would probably shut you down. But maybe make as gifts? Or like the "Jeep ducks"? 😊

OP
OP
R1Thor

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Very cool. I feel like you could make these and sell them. Of course Rivian would probably shut you down. But maybe make as gifts? Or like the "Jeep ducks"? 😊
I'm totally not going to sell them to the public 👀

(If you work for Rivian stop reading here, please)

I may be willing to provide these with a modest shipping and handling fee**. Bottom line: I wasn't *planning* to sell these, but I had a LOT of interest on Discord, so I've started looking into it. The thing I'd really like to avoid are the 'Abstract Ocean Rivian Cease and Desist' letters :)

That said, if anyone really needs to have a Gary, DM me and we'll figure something out!

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, CT, Model 3 Refresh
In all seriousness, there's so many people selling accessories (some great, some junk, and some that blatantly leverage the IP, i.e. mugs or caps with a logo slapped on) on eBay, Amazon, Etsy etc etc., you'll be fine. They seem to go after the larger, better known aftermarket companies, and I'm 90% sure we were only found by a bot scanning the internet for logos, so you'll be fine.

And even if you're not, the C&D emails really aren't that bad :)

Sponsored

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Willing to share the STL or 3mf so I could print this on my bambu?

Thanks.

OP
OP
R1Thor

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I created an Etsy account for anyone who wants some level of buyer protection and don't want to DM me and swap PayPal accounts:

https://jays3dp.etsy.com?coupon=GGGARY
Coupon GGGARY for 20% off, because you guys are awesome.

(Also, if it's unapparent, this is the first time for me, so if you have any feedback whatsoever, I'm open to suggestions. I definitely have to get some more and better photos.)

Cheers!

OP
OP
R1Thor

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Willing to share the STL or 3mf so I could print this on my bambu?

Thanks.
That's a good idea, too. Let me see where I can host this with a donation link or similar. I'm unopposed to giving it out to people with printers (I can totally get not wanting to buy something you can click 'print' for yourself), but I'd like some level of deterrence from someone else just downloading it (for free) and then selling them.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Wait is it 5 colours? You have 2 AMS? Or did you just swap manually?

I get not wanting to give it away, but in the end someone will copy or just make it I post my stuff on printables.

OP
OP
R1Thor

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Wait is it 5 colours? You have 2 AMS? Or did you just swap manually?

I get not wanting to give it away, but in the end someone will copy or just make it I post my stuff on printables.
6 colors.
I have 3 AMS (don't need all of them for this print, obviously)
Sponsored