First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Kuro-Rivian, you hit the nail on the head.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Hah! What kind of hole have you two been living in? People do irrational, stupid, unprovoked, dipshit, dumbass stuff all the time. For any reason or no reason whatsoever. Rage is the new black! To presume there was some rational interaction that lead this is just a bridge too far in this day & age. In fact, I think the presumption has to the opposite, because THAT would make the most sense!
No way. People don't just do that on the random. Even OP admits he might have cut them off. Granted they were also driving like assholes, a fact of which I have no doubt.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
No way. People don't just do that on the random. Even OP admits he might have cut them off. Granted they were also driving like assholes, a fact of which I have no doubt.
Based on this video you believe these kids have a rational and valid reason to be acting like that. That boggles my mind you can come to that conclusion.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Based on this video you believe these kids have a rational and valid reason to be acting like that. That boggles my mind you can come to that conclusion.
Not necessarily rational but valid - maybe? I’ve pulled up next to plenty of cars while on my bikes and given the “WTF man?” look.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What got my wife to call 911 was the hand gesture to back pocket or back belt area (guy in white shirt).
Unless there’s more than what was in the video that hand gesture is usually a pocket check to make sure your phone or wallet is still in your pocket. I’ve done that exact same motion plenty of times when riding if I forgot to put my phone/wallet/key somewhere safe before getting on the road.

Sponsored

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Unless there’s more than what was in the video that hand gesture is usually a pocket check to make sure your phone or wallet is still in your pocket. I’ve done that exact same motion plenty of times when riding if I forgot to put my phone/wallet/key somewhere safe before getting on the road.
Rivian R1T R1S DriveCam Video -- Motorcycle Punks Sublte-Nose-Scratch-Middle-Finger-Reaction-G

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Cause and effect exists. I don’t believe it’s an APPROPRIATE response but it is a rational one. It isn’t the sort of behavior you should be exhibiting but either is cutting off motorcycles

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Cause and effect exists. I don’t believe it’s an APPROPRIATE response but it is a rational one. It isn’t the sort of behavior you should be exhibiting but either is cutting off motorcycles
I really don't want to get in an argument with you but now your saying the OP is "cutting off motorcycles?" C'mon man...that some creative story telling. At thia rate, a couple more posts from now and you'll have him "intentionally trying to mow down some innocent bikers minding their own business."

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I really don't want to get in an argument with you but now your saying the OP is "cutting off motorcycles?" C'mon man...that some creative story telling. At thia rate, a couple more posts from now and you'll have him "intentionally trying to mow down some innocent bikers minding their own business."
He ADMITTED it. Maybe read the whole thread next time?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
He ADMITTED it. Maybe read the whole thread next time?
“Cyclists were coming out of the tunnel (mainline) at a high speed. Wouldn't be surpised if it was 90+.”

He said the bikes were speeding. From their perspective, he might have cut them off. From a rational perspective, he did not cut them off. If you are doing 90 on a bike, you should have zero expectation that other drivers can see you coming, or anticipate the gap close rate if you are doing 90. It’s literally half of what anyone would expect. Ask me how I know, lol. I’m with the OP on this, he’s not at any fault if that’s how it happened. And that’s coming from someone who has been riding for over 45 years, and owns a stupid fast bike. I’ve seen my fair share of idiot cage drivers, including several who intentionally encroached on me with no provocation at all - yes, there are car drivers who hate motorcycles and will do that, and laugh or give you the finger.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
“Cyclists were coming out of the tunnel (mainline) at a high speed. Wouldn't be surpised if it was 90+.”

He said the bikes were speeding. From their perspective, he might have cut them off. From a rational perspective, he did not cut them off. If you are doing 90 on a bike, you should have zero expectation that other drivers can see you coming, or anticipate the gap close rate if you are doing 90. It’s literally half of what anyone would expect. Ask me how I know, lol. I’m with the OP on this, he’s not at any fault if that’s how it happened. And that’s coming from someone who has been riding for over 45 years, and owns a stupid fast bike. I’ve seen my fair share of idiot cage drivers, including several who intentionally encroached on me with no provocation at all - yes, there are car drivers who hate motorcycles and will do that, and laugh or give you the finger.
Both people have obligations to do better in this case. You have an obligation to drive at a safe speed but you also have the obligation to make sure your lane is clear regardless of the speed of the traffic in that lane.

Don't merge until you can verify the lane is clear, not around a curve, or that you have determined the traffic in that lane is a safe distance away. Am I the only person on the road who checks for this? I'd like to think not.

So just like when I'm on my motorcycle I watch out for idiots in cars and trucks not paying attention, I look for idiot motorcyclists flying past at 90 when I'm merging. Same as I look out for both when I'm running on the road. You should always be paying attention.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Some motorcyclists (usually crotch rockets) think they have the "right of way", especially the faster they are going, speed limits be damned. Weaving in and out of traffic, through multiple lanes, with little regard to traffic, assuming others should yield to them. I worked with a guy that complained about people pulling out in front of him, on residential roads, while he was going 30mph over the speed limit. Regular drivers aren't expecting that level of excess in speed, especially around their neighborhoods. Most people aren't expecting a free-for-all on public roads. Minor speeding, yes, but not speedway/track conditions. Could the OP have done better, maybe. Could the motorcyclists have done better, maybe. If the motorcyclists were treating the freeway like a track meet, I have little concern for their well being, since they don't have any concern about others. I don't know how they were acting prior to this incident, but I have seen it before. But most motorcyclists know they need to be driving in a defensive manner at all times, a motorcycle will lose to a car/truck almost every time.

OP
OP
WSea

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect