SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Has anyone spoke to CS yet regarding changing from BM or FE to this new OC color and if that will move you back?
Someone posted that they were told that they would be pushed back if they selected OC because they are currently still batching FE and BM despite the hype about OC.
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Someone posted that they were told that they would be pushed back if they selected OC because they are currently still batching FE and BM despite the hype about OC.
And I just changed it lol.

I'm a 1H '23 so it prob doesn't matter, but that's interesting.

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
I configured my R1S build as black exterior, black mountain interior, 22" bright sport wheels. I however really like the new Ocean Coast option with the dark wood.

For those who have seen OC in person, is it an off white, light grey, other? Would love to see it in person before committing but might not be in the cards. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sean
It is hard to say. I've heard several others describe OC as off white, light grey, or whatever. It all seems to depend on the eye of the beholder. And there have been many different opinions about it.

In my case, I thought OC was a great color choice because of the sharp visual contrast between the light grey/off white accents against the dark grey/ black background colors. It just worked for me as a perfect interior for a black truck.

And with OC now in production, maybe you will get to see one in the wild. Or, maybe you'll get lucky to drive an R1T with that interior for your First Mile Mobil Drive? Best of luck!

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
@Redline

I "spoke" with my guide Thursday. My configuration is confirmed but I still can change from BM to OC. However, "It may delay your production. We can keep an eye on it and switch back to BM if the delay is too long." Very kind response but not definitive unfortunately which means no additional guidance as to the delay it will/may cause.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

It is hard to say. I've heard several others describe OC as off white, light grey, or whatever. It all seems to depend on the eye of the beholder. And there have been many different opinions about it.
It's light grey. It is not white/off white. For some reason people continue to look at pictures of it and think that it is white but it very clearly isn't when compared to Tesla's white interior and any post I've seen of someone who has seen it in person says that it is light grey.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Preferences in order;

#1: OC
#2: FE (seriously Rivian, $2k?)
#3: BM

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

aeroberner

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, R1T
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
From what I have seen the wood is not solid but a very thin veneer formed over a substrate. Given the thinness of the veneer my guess would be that by the time you sanded through the finish there would be precious little wood left. You could easily sand right through it given the complex curves.
This is correct. If you watch Sandy Munroe’s tear down, the wood is also a “wrap”. I imagine the vegan wrap versions may turn out to be more durable over time.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

This is correct. If you watch Sandy Munroe’s tear down, the wood is also a “wrap”. I imagine the vegan wrap versions may turn out to be more durable over time.
The vegan wrap versions may very well be more durable but there is something about the wood that makes the R1T feel special. It may be a veneer but it's really very nicely done. In that same Munroe video they talked about the quality overall of the dash and questioned how Rivian was making money with such high quality components.

Probably why Rivian needed to raise prices. I'd rather pay more and get more than pay more and get less like seems increasingly the case with OEMs like Tesla.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

It's light grey. It is not white/off white. For some reason people continue to look at pictures of it and think that it is white but it very clearly isn't when compared to Tesla's white interior and any post I've seen of someone who has seen it in person says that it is light grey.
You can see Tesla's white interior from space! If you put them side by side you can see how the Ocean Coast interior is not even close to white. It is a greyish blue.

Tesla White (Left) Rivian Ocean Coast (Right)

Rivian R1T R1S Email: Ocean Coast Design Update – Dark Ash Wood or Wrapped Vegan Leather Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.35.55 AM

aeroberner

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, R1T
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
The vegan wrap versions may very well be more durable but there is something about the wood that makes the R1T feel special. It may be a veneer but it's really very nicely done. In that same Munroe video they talked about the quality overall of the dash and questioned how Rivian was making money with such high quality components.

Probably why Rivian needed to raise prices. I'd rather pay more and get more than pay more and get less like seems increasingly the case with OEMs like Tesla.
Yeah, for sure. I’m somewhat torn on the woods, FE is my favorite but my wife isn’t stoked about the green. I liked OC, but hated the wood, so maybe that’ll the the one now.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
  • Has anyone dismantled their dash?
  • Has anyone sanded their black mountain wood to see what color the wood is unstained?
I don't think ill like the new wood version and the leather wrapped might feel off. I'm considering removing all the trim, sanding it down, and finishing it with a lighter grey stain (like actual driftwood as "ocean coast" would suggest).
The wood is a thin veneer, I don't think there's much to sand off before it's all gone.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Yeah, for sure. I’m somewhat torn on the woods, FE is my favorite but my wife isn’t stoked about the green. I liked OC, but hated the wood, so maybe that’ll the the one now.
I feel you. I really like the FE wood but not digging the green as much. BM looks better in person. My First Mile vehicle had BM and the wood was really nice.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
I originally had BM, but I like this OC update enough to change my configuration. I'm a 2H23 reservation anyway.

My bigger concern is that they unceremoniously drop the Max Pack like they did with the Explore trim. That'd be enough for me to go back to waffling between the R1T and the Lightning.
Sponsored