Sponsored

First 40 miles of R1S ownership compared to BMW IX50 and Tesla Model Y Performance

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX xDrive50, Acura MDX
Didn’t realize this thread is still active. As the OP here is an update at 3k miles on R1S:

1) Noises - I’ve gotten used to wind noise. It’s really fairly quiet on my vehicle at 75mph and under. At 80 it is quite noticeable vs my IX and x5 but have come to accept it. The internal noises for the most part are fine. I’ve gotten used to the whirring of the motors and have no real opinion either way. Just chalk it up to its quirks. Rattles in general have been fine. My dash started to rattle but mobile appt did a foam tape fix which has fixed it for now but they said I could bring it into service center for a new dash top if it continues. My largest rattle is the cup holder in the front but only if I have lighter bottles on the passenger side. But when closed or when a drink is on the driver side it’s fine.
2) driving impressions. Several of the updates on the suspension have improved things. Sport is softer and all purpose mode on moderate stiffness reduces a fair bit of the float. Still has understeer and it can’t overcome its weight and size and it’s not the most refined vehicle out there but again have gotten used to it.
3) any major issues? Oddly had to have door latch replaced on driver door as it wouldn’t close on one particular day. I also found out that two months into ownership this vehicle does have blind spot assist. Mine was just not working. Thus far no other major issues. Sometimes my rear trunk doesn’t want to open (I think I must be standing too close to it tho and it’s a sensor thing). Windows have also been fiddly with opening and closing but have been fine.
4) efficiency. Now that it’s warmed up it’s delivering as promised. There were a couple of good days where it did get fairly low but this morning on my 27 mile drive to work I averaged 2.8-2.9 miles per kWh.

overall I still think the IX is a more refined, luxurious experience. However if I had to get rid of one today, I would actually get rid of the IX. I can’t get over the utility of this vehicle. The third row, trunk and trunk have been very useful. We took a trip to VT from NJ in the winter and oddly worked better than my expectations. Wife and kids really like it. We are now contemplating can we go full EV and get rid of the X5 (as it has good residual value). At this point my largest concern is if Rivian makes it as a company but perhaps as a sign of my general positive view of the r1s I have a deposit on the r2 although more likely I want to get the r3x.
Thank you for the comprehensive update.

The iX was my first EV vehicle and I am still not yet ready to downgrade in terms of comfort, refinement and luxury. The utility of the R1S though looks outstanding. I test drove the 2024 Honda Pilot Elite Sport for my mom. If the R1S can match similar level of ride comfort and cabin noise, I may pull the trigger.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Npa201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 M50i, BMW IX 50, R1S on order.
So my IX has the castanea interior which I love but is already showing some dye transfer from my jeans despite ceramic coating on interior. I do like the ambient lighting of the IX and the camera is a higher resolution. Sound quality of the HK speakers surprisingly better than the x5 and better than r1s although speakers in r1s aren’t that bad.

That said I actually think the r1s are slightly better for me. I’d a bit too soft and not enough thigh bolstering. I prefer the x5 seats the most out of the bunch.

I also think the interior of r1s is quite nice for its price point. Based on my short test drive of an IX with sensatec and without the crystal glass, I would say the r1s vinyl seats are an equivalent or even nicer material. R1s also has some alcantara like headliner whereas the IX does not. One thing missing ok the r1s is the ability make the sunglass opaque like the IX. That said I’d rather have the x5 sunroof with the sky lounge ambient lighting and a real shade.

in terms of r1s versus a Honda pilot, I’ve never been in one. Closest I can say is I’ve been in a 2019 Toyota Highlander. Hard to say how well the Highlander handles as I never pushed it (as I borrowed it for a day). R1s had a much nicer interior vs Highlander (which was a fully loaded trim). From a road noise/ wind noise perspective I thought the interior of the r1s was quieter. I thought the Highlander was loud.

OP
OP

Npa201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 M50i, BMW IX 50, R1S on order.
One last comment. My configuration is with 22” wheel. Duing the one service trip to Brooklyn, I was given an R1S with the 20” all-terrain tires. I do think they look cool and assume they are better traction during the winter. But besides some range loss, my larger issue was the tire noise it introduced. I think it’s just physics and any all terrain tires will have this issue (based on me passing by souped up trucks and jeep rubicons). All my comments above were in reference to the 22” tires. The 20” all-terrain road noise is something you should just expect.

From a handling perspective and suspension. I suppose the 20” are not as harsh in sport mode but I wouldn’t exactly call it supple. If anything, it may introduce a floatiness in the handling. Nothing bad per se but as someone that is unlikely to off-road, I’m glad to have the 22” wheels back. Maybe down the line I’ll consider an extra set of 20” with the all-terrain to use as winter wheels but we’ll see….
Sponsored