Gen 2 R1S Delivery Woes

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Rivian can be quite slow, but outside of that my service experiences have been generally good.

Very disappointing the Gen 2 / Manufacturing Revamp did not yield better initial quality. :(
Sponsored

OP
OP

Eruantien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Tell them the car is malfunctioning with those things but with the hazard button not working you can't do a reset and are worried you'll get stranded if more things malfunction.
That’s exactly what I’ve been worried about! Especially since it’s having all these issues so far. I’m supposed to hear back today on a time I could maybe drop it off.

Now proximity locking has gone haywire. I had it set to “Lock only” at home but it was still unlocking when I approached. I’ve verified the home location is set correctly, and even reset it. Now proximity locking doesn’t at work at all, ever, no matter what setting I choose.

I’ve also noticed settings not sticking. I’ll make a change to a setting (like making sound with radar) and will find later it’s switched back. This has happened quite a lot.

I feel like I just need a wipe and fresh install or something! Haha!

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Gen 1 vehicles struggled with proximity locking for a long time and Vampire Drain is still an issue on that. Sounds like Gen 2 has some teething as well. Carry a card with you just in case. They'll get it sorted (mostly). Despite all the problems Rivian is having, they eventually come through and the intention is there.

OP
OP

Eruantien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
For sure! I love Rivian, its mission and people, and am 100% behind the company and these cars! Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Rivian fan! Just a bummer to have problems day one after waiting for years. I know they’ll make it right, just a bit up in the air until they do.

With proximity locking, you think it’s def just software? I was wondering if it could be hardware related given other issues going on. Weirdly it worked perfectly the first day but now nothing.

They claimed Gen 2 would have some of the best (least bad) vampire drain in the industry. I can report that’s likely accurate! I left it unplugged for ~24 hours and it only lost one mile of range. Exactly what Wassym said it would be at his talk in San Jose. Amazing!

I’m sure they’ll be able improve Gen 1 as well!

BearMan123

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Attorney
My biggest disappointment thus far on my new Gen2 relate to how loud and vibrating the new heat pump is. It's really unacceptable although am staying cool.

There are panel gaps. The rear tailight has 1x4" gap on one side, 1/8 on the other. The hood is easily 1/4 all around.

The doors require a very hard slam. I was told to open a window to close the door as it's less air pressure. Are you serious??? Otherwise, the dash shows a door open. I have to tell people--slam your door!

Already lost mirror settings. They were pointed downward the entire ride home tonight and I had to pull off to reset the system abd re-save the mirror settings

The proximity door locks are a pain. You go to a buddy's house and have to load and unload things--car locks and if you left your phome inside and wallet, it's locked. The Gen 2 does not come with any key fob.

The middle row passenger does not allow changing temp. This is causing a revolt. Are you kidding me on a $98K build (I have the Max battery).

I am leasing and the 7 day return doesn't apply. I would over the heat pump vibrations and sound alone. An electric car should be silent. My 6.2L Escalade is quitier in the garage than this pulling in.

Quirks are expected in any EV. Some of these items are not. I feel like the heat pump is not yet prime time. If this is their solution, back to the parts vendor.

And that's all I got to say about that.
Sponsored