SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I think it is fair to want a better approximation about what real world results would be vs. EPA which is controlled, but it it is next to impossible to replicate real world results. Your mileage will vary greatly based on a large range of variables so this test from Alex, and anyone else, needs to be taken as such.

In this specific test, with these variables, on this day, he go the result he got. You may or may not get that result.

However, it is safe to say that it appears the R1T is more efficient than the Lightning on highway driving - by how much will depend on a number of variables some of which you can control to some extent and others that you can't.
Sponsored

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
My personal experience with both trucks was that the Rivian exceeds the EPA estimate for my driving style. And the Ford is behind the EPA estimates.

The difference on the highway is exaggerated at 70+ as the Ford is pushing a lot more air.

All based on Conserve Mode in the R1T

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
My personal experience with both trucks was that the Rivian exceeds the EPA estimate for my driving style. And the Ford is behind the EPA estimates.

The difference on the highway is exaggerated at 70+ as the Ford is pushing a lot more air.

All based on Conserve Mode in the R1T
I haven’t used conserve mode, but my experiences weren’t quite the same. My driving style apparently favors the Ford.

I’ve got the base model, perhaps that makes a difference as well as the power is tuned down and there’s less weight, but I’ve been surprised at just how close it is.

F-150L Pro:
Standard Range Battery 98kWh usable capacity
230 miles EPA
18” Wheels w/ AT tires
2.2-2.4mi/kWh (215-235 miles)

That drops to 1.8mi/kWh (176mi) if I do almost all highway at 70-80mph.

R1T:
Large Pack 133(?)kWh usable capacity
314 miles EPA
21” Wheels
Sport/Low: 2.2-2.3mi/kWh (293-306 miles)

22” Wheels
Sport/Low: 1.9-2.1mi/kWh (253-279 miles)
All Purpose/Low: 2.3-2.4mi/kWh (306-320 miles)

I always keep Trip 1 on my vehicles as lifetime readings. So I can report back as time goes on.

So far it seems as if both trucks end up using 40-45% more energy than my Model S and about 10-15% more energy than my Model X.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
I haven’t used conserve mode, but my experiences weren’t quite the same. My driving style apparently favors the Ford.

I’ve got the base model, perhaps that makes a difference as well as the power is tuned down and there’s less weight, but I’ve been surprised at just how close it is.

F-150L Pro:
Standard Range Battery 98kWh usable capacity
230 miles EPA
18” Wheels w/ AT tires
2.2-2.4mi/kWh (215-235 miles)

That drops to 1.8mi/kWh (176mi) if I do almost all highway at 70-80mph.

R1T:
Large Pack 133(?)kWh usable capacity
314 miles EPA
21” Wheels
Sport/Low: 2.2-2.3mi/kWh (293-306 miles)

22” Wheels
Sport/Low: 1.9-2.1mi/kWh (253-279 miles)
All Purpose/Low: 2.3-2.4mi/kWh (306-320 miles)

I always keep Trip 1 on my vehicles as lifetime readings. So I can report back as time goes on.

So far it seems as if both trucks end up using 40-45% more energy than my Model S and about 10-15% more energy than my Model X.
Wow, no way was I seeing the mi/kw in the lightning that you were or I would have kept it. And your "ALL PURPOSE" mode #'s in the R1T are better than I see by 0.3-0.4 in those modes, which is why I primarily use the "CONSERVE" mode.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Wow, no way was I seeing the mi/kw in the lightning that you were or I would have kept it. And your "ALL PURPOSE" mode #'s in the R1T are better than I see by 0.3-0.4 in those modes, which is why I primarily use the "CONSERVE" mode.
Weather is probably a factor. This past week has been significantly colder as we turned towards fall. I’m seeing my numbers drop, I’m now getting about 2.1-2.2 consistently on 22s and all purpose mode, which is frustrating because the Ford hasn’t dropped.

I also noticed the Ford doesn’t have any vampire drain. Again it might be because I have a base version, but it maintained the battery charge while sitting for 2 days
Sponsored