First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I find this racehorse number counting fun, and I enjoy searching the internet for numbers. Skip if you don't care about that.

Edit - autonews was March numbers, not April. But trends didn't change. Sorry for the mistake.

We have: Electrek April reg, autonews March reg, Coxnews Q1 sales.

But the comparison is messy, one source is "sales", one source is "registrations".

Electrek/S&P Global Registations AprilAutonews Registrations MarchCox/KBB: Q1 Monthly Avg Sales
F150-EV2,5092,8932581
Cyber Truck2,1811,158937
R1T? less than 2k5481,087

Notes

0. Registrations are not the same as sales
1. CT April vs March Reg (Electrek vs Autonews) registration numbers is a huge change, maybe some kind of mistake.
2. CT increased production during Q1, so going well past 1k/month seems reasonable
3. Rivian dropping registrations by half in autonews April also feels weird
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hayseed_MS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Agree with this fully. Saw a wrapped CT yesterday (matte black) and honestly thought it was probably somewhere between 25% to 50% less ugly than the upwrapped trucks I've seen previously.

Passed a Cyberdumpster that was wrapped in black. Do not think it was factory since it looked like someone just spray painted the thing black in shop class and it was still wet.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The whole Cybertruck "rust" hysteria is an interesting phenomenon. No, the stainless used in the Cybertruck is not rusting, it's more rust resistant than marine grade 316 stainless. I'm never garaging mine, it lives out under wet trees. I don't do anything special to it, just wash it with a bucket of soapy water ever couple of weeks. I off-road frequently so it's always muddy and wet, no problem, looks amazing, even when it's muddy the light shines through.

Cybertruck is the easiest to care for truck I've ever had. It self-passivates and that means finger prints are barely visible. When it was new the fingerprints were a hell of a lot more obvious. After a month, it's pretty hard to see fingerprints. And the idea of it rusting orange is hilarious. Not happening. Some people are just extra gullible, there's a few in every crowd.
So you're saying mud is your wrap?

That's one way of doing it.

I do think its important to clarify that the trucks themselves are not rusting. But, its surface contamination.

Hence the need for a mud bath to keep it from looking rusty.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Stainless steel doesn't rust.
That's why I said a rust look.

According to the Cybertruck lead engineer the rust spots are caused by iron in the atmosphere. It's surface contamination.

The issue is that with most vehicles you can go a long time without washing the vehicle without it looking too horrible. You go 1-2 weeks with an unwrapped CyberTruck and it looks rusty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
That's why I said a rust look.

According to the Cybertruck lead engineer the rust spots are caused by iron in the atmosphere. It's surface contamination.

The issue is that with most vehicles you can go a long time without washing the vehicle without it looking too horrible. You go 1-2 weeks with an unwrapped CyberTruck and it looks rusty.
No, it's false that Cybertrucks look rusty after two weeks without a wash. I have never seen a spec of rust on my Cybertruck and it's gone 2 weeks without washing a number of times. It's never been in a garage either, it lives outside in the rain and tree droppings. No rust. Even if a spec of iron landed on the Cybertruck and rusted, it wouldn't make the truck look rusty, you would need a camera or a magnifying glass to see such a minute thing. It makes you look silly to claim the Cybertruck will look rusty. This whole "Cybertruck rust" narrative is fake, drummed up BS, designed to make people think there is a problem that doesn't exist.

I have seen iron contamination rusting on my white Tesla Model 3, from about 6 inches away, just like every white car I've ever owned, but I haven't seen any on my Cybertruck, and certainly not enough to make it look "rusty", LOL!

It's beautiful, gleaming, reflective, shiny metal that reflects the colors from its environment. Me thinks some people got jealousy. :cool:

Running into and talking to strangers out in the wild is enlightening. The amount of enthusiasm and positive vibes it attracts is outrageous! I've never driven a vehicle that so many other people love. They want to keep talking about it and I generally have to tell them I better get going before I'm late.

The unfilled demand for this vehicle is skyrocketing as the general truck buying public is starting to learn how good it is. The most common question I get asked is "How do you like it?". They genuinely want to know because they have heard so much BS online about it. I say to them "It's the best truck I've ever owned or driven." Then I pause for a moment of silence and say "By far. It's not even close".

It's a bargain at $100K and likely will shortly be a screaming deal at $80K (because most people would never think of spending $100K on any vehicle, no matter how good it is). Tesla is going to sell over a million of these over the next few years. Eventually, they will be selling over a million per year. Not because it looks so futuristic, but because it's such a good truck and so much fun to drive. My wife has never even driven it, but she loves riding around in it as a passenger. After she experienced mine, she immediately placed her own order for one.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
No, it's false that Cybertrucks look rusty after two weeks without a wash. I have never seen a spec of rust on my Cybertruck and it's gone 2 weeks without washing a number of times. It's never been in a garage either, it lives outside in the rain and tree droppings. No rust. Even if a spec of iron landed on the Cybertruck and rusted, it wouldn't make the truck look rusty, you would need a camera or a magnifying glass to see such a minute thing. It makes you look silly to claim the Cybertruck will look rusty. This whole "Cybertruck rust" narrative is fake, drummed up BS, designed to make people think there is a problem that doesn't exist.

I have seen iron contamination rusting on my white Tesla Model 3, from about 6 inches away, just like every white car I've ever owned, but I haven't seen any on my Cybertruck, and certainly not enough to make it look "rusty", LOL!

It's beautiful, gleaming, reflective, shiny metal that reflects the colors from its environment. Me thinks some people got jealousy. :cool:

Running into and talking to strangers out in the wild is enlightening. The amount of enthusiasm and positive vibes it attracts is outrageous! I've never driven a vehicle that so many other people love. They want to keep talking about it and I generally have to tell them I better get going before I'm late.

The unfilled demand for this vehicle is skyrocketing as the general truck buying public is starting to learn how good it is. The most common question I get asked is "How do you like it?". They genuinely want to know because they have heard so much BS online about it. I say to them "It's the best truck I've ever owned or driven." Then I pause for a moment of silence and say "By far. It's not even close".

It's a bargain at $100K and likely will shortly be a screaming deal at $80K (because most people would never think of spending $100K on any vehicle, no matter how good it is). Tesla is going to sell over a million of these over the next few years. Eventually, they will be selling over a million per year. Not because it looks so futuristic, but because it's such a good truck and so much fun to drive. My wife has never even driven it, but she loves riding around in it as a passenger. After she experienced mine, she immediately placed her own order for one.
They will not be selling millions at $80k - addressable market is too small.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

). Tesla is going to sell over a million of these over the next few years. Eventually, they will be selling over a million per year. Not because it looks so futuristic, but because it's such a good truck and so much fun to drive. My wife has never even driven it, but she loves riding around in it as a passenger. After she experienced mine, she immediately placed her own order for one.
I’ll take that bet. They aren’t going to sell a million in the next few years unless they get the price under 50K. And I have definitely heard more negative comments than positive ones on the appearance. People are being polite but sadly some of them are mocking you behind your back I fear. It’s got a lot going for it, but it’s definitely a niche product and once they are ubiquitous there will be a need to drop prices significantly to keep sales up. They also REALLY need to work on the assembly quality. Wavy dash stitching and panel gaps that are unacceptable from such an established manufacturer imo.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
They will not be selling millions at $80k - addressable market is too small.
I didn't say they would. Most 4x4 trucks come in somewhere around $60K-$70K these days. And people will pay more for a tougher, more capable, more efficient truck with lower costs of operation. It's a huge plus to not be subject to dents and scratches in the damage prone paint and clearcoat. But Tesla will have to get them down to around $70-$75K to sell millions of them. Of course, even at $79,990 they qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. I have no doubt they will get the price down to $79,990 shortly. Of course, the single motor version will be closer to $55-$60K within 3 years or so (and the prices of all models will fall as production processes are optimized and volumes increase). It's really just a matter of how fast they can ramp production, demand is going to be unlimited, just as it is now at higher prices.

When Tesla came out with the Model 3, they expanded the addressable market for sedans costing $40-$50K. The Cybertruck will do the same thing in the truck market. Forget the looks, that's how good of a truck it is. One doesn't really get this until they start driving one.

Last edited:

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
I’ll take that bet. They aren’t going to sell a million in the next few years unless they get the price under 50K. And I have definitely heard more negative comments than positive ones on the appearance. People are being polite but sadly some of them are mocking you behind your back I fear.
You fear wrong. I've been driving a Cybertruck around in the bare metal for almost three months now and I can see the genuine excitement on people's faces. I've had many conversations with complete strangers. They are super curious about it too and make a lot of positive comments that are completely unsolicited, I can tell they are genuine by the way they say them. You can't fake that with me. I'm 61 years old and know how to spot a disingenuous person from a mile away.

This may be surprise you, but there are two worlds out there. And the digital one is filled with AI bots posing as humans and the real world doesn't resemble the digital world at all. You need to get out and about more. And if you did it in a gleaming Cybertruck in the metal, you would see exactly what I'm talking about. People absolutely DO love it. I'm sure there are some that are not up for the radical looks and most of them are polite and walk away. But they are a small minority.

Talking about selling a Dual Motor (4x4) Cybertruck for under $50K is sheer madness and tells me you don't understand just how much luxury and driving performance, how much convenience and comfort is contained within its odd shape. There is not a single other vehicle that is like it. And no, I'm not talking about its futuristic looks. I'm talking about the way it drives and feels. The way it's so easy to use. The way its big and small at the same time (thanks to the steer-by-wire and 4-wheel steering). The smooth quiet ride. The way it can be jacked up with the push of a button and the big 35" tires will make easy work of rough terrain. The way the stereo sounds so big and dimensional, the view out of the huge windshield, the support and comfort of the ventilated seats. The sense of power and control that the Cybertruck elicits is hard to imagine until you actually drive one. And, yes, I've been driving a multitude of full sized 4x4's my whole life, but nothing feels like this. People will (and are) willing to pay a lot more than $50K to get something this unimaginable. Many of them just don't know it yet.

Watch and see. It's going to be a run-away best-seller, even at $79K. For that price, it can't be beat!

Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Turns out using the Ignore function is liberating - not sure why I waited this long to try!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
No material is truly stainless. It may not “rust” like 440c or mild steel would but eventually left to its own devices and enough moisture any steel will oxidize and discolor - maybe not by a lot but it will happen. The benefit that the truck has is that you can chemically or mechanically adjust that. Eventually though the examples of these cars left outside most of their lives are going to start to look really ugly or at the very least unique and we’ll definitely have lost the factory uniform finish. That may be a good thing because the examples I’ve seen of the truck have the same egregious body issues some of our Rivians do though whereas convention cars have panel alignment issues, this one seems to have panel “waves”.

Idk. My guess is that It’ll be a long time before we see hundreds of thousands of these on the road and that’s a disappointment because I get a good laugh every time I see one and I could use some more levity in my life.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Saw my third in person today. An older couple. The wife was hiding her face in traffic as people looked at them.

So much worse in person…which is an achievement in itself. The entire passenger side looked like a day at the north shore of Oahu. Just wavy as hell.
Sponsored