First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
LOL.. Yes every camper they build is built to order.

Not sure why you feel the need to give us a PSA about weight, honestly it’s rediculous:

a. Anyone doing an overland build is keeping track of every accessory they add
b. Literally thousands of people with mid-size trucks add these types of campers to their trucks every year and a Tacoma or other trucks in this class don’t have any more payload than a Rivian.
The people building may keep track of the weight of the build. Not so sure about the end user, hence the psa...well, not to mention, as covered in another post, that the manual specifically says that slide-ins are not supported.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Rivian to endorse an option like this as they have for the rooftop tent. I spent way too much time looking on line and in person at slide-ins back before I got my truck and saw the sticker and the manual about slide-ins.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The people building may keep track of the weight of the build. Not so sure about the end user, hence the psa...well, not to mention, as covered in another post, that the manual specifically says that slide-ins are not supported.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Rivian to endorse an option like this as they have for the rooftop tent. I spent way too much time looking on line and in person at slide-ins back before I got my truck and saw the sticker and the manual about slide-ins.
See above and understand the difference between a slide-in camper and a camper shell.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
a. Anyone doing an overland build is keeping track of every accessory they add
b. Literally thousands of people with mid-size trucks add these types of campers to their trucks every year and a Tacoma or other trucks in this class don’t have any more payload than a Rivian.
I would argue that most people doing an “overland” style build just buy whatever they see on instagram and probably don’t know what a payload rating is.

Most Tacomas built for off-road/overland/camping exceed their payload ratings.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Was there any issue with the shark fin?

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) IMG_20230405_221720

Wicked jelly of this. Ignore the haters, keep us posted with the build-out!

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

It’s neat. I’d like to build something similar with a few tweaks to the profile.

I look forward to more updates and photos!

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Was there any issue with the shark fin?
Not at all. The shark fin is about 1.25” below the top of the roof rack.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks great! I didn't realize there was already an overland camper shell on the market (which makes sense because you mentioned this was a custom build).

Someone here mentioned that lonepeakoverland.com was designing one for the R1T, which is what I have been waiting for. I prefer the style of their design (and the accessories they offer), but nice to know there are different options out there.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Looks great! I didn't realize there was already an overland camper shell on the market (which makes sense because you mentioned this was a custom build).

Someone here mentioned that lonepeakoverland.com was designing one for the R1T, which is what I have been waiting for. I prefer the style of their design (and the accessories they offer), but nice to know there are different options out there.
May have been me that mentioned it, but it seems like it'll be late summer before they start releasing that as an option on their website, unfortunately. They're expanding their capabilities, but currently working through their own backlog before the add the new models. I know they're working on it, but apparently the official stance is that it won't be available to order for a few months at least. :(

Sponsored

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
May have been me that mentioned it, but it seems like it'll be late summer before they start releasing that as an option on their website, unfortunately. They're expanding their capabilities, but currently working through their own backlog before the add the new models. I know they're working on it, but apparently the official stance is that it won't be available to order for a few months at least. :(
Considering their site says "new orders will install in October", I wasn't expecting anything this year. Optimistic for next year though, and please do post if you find out anymore "inside" information.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Awesome! So excited to see this. Great stuff @jjswan33. I am jealous. Looking forward to hearing about the efficiency and your overall experience!

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
This looks great. Interested to see how you get it all kitted out and how it works out for you.

Does it attach to the roof rack as well, or are they just close? What are you putting on the roof? Would be cool to fit a water tank or something slim under the over-cab portion.

Edit: Also would have been nice if they could box in the gear tunnel buttons from the outside so that you could access them easier. I guess it is nice that you can still open from the center screen so you don't have to climb inside the truck to open them.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This looks great. Interested to see how you get it all kitted out and how it works out for you.

Does it attach to the roof rack as well, or are they just close? What are you putting on the roof? Would be cool to fit a water tank or something slim under the over-cab portion.

Edit: Also would have been nice if they could box in the gear tunnel buttons from the outside so that you could access them easier. I guess it is nice that you can still open from the center screen so you don't have to climb inside the truck to open them.
No attachment to the roof rack, they did stick some foam on the bottom because it was so close but nothing else. My plan is to be able to put ski/snowboards on the roof when needed, maybe a bike on last resort. I had a Road Shower I considered trying to install somewhere but I sold it last week with my RTT setup also because I plan on doing a lot of winter camping I am thinking about an indoor water solution and maybe a water heater… tbd

Yes this is why I made sure I got the swing up doors on both sides so I can easily open the gear tunnel because doing so from the center screen alone is near impossible.

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) CF78109A-1619-416A-978B-E76FAD569F35

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wow Josh! I have questions? How much does it weigh? Hwy efficiency? Back door setup? Approximate cost? 😂😂
Awesome! So excited to see this. Great stuff @jjswan33. I am jealous. Looking forward to hearing about the efficiency and your overall experience!
So those asking about efficiency here is what I have so far:

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 1680819503565

Columns are Miles, energy used and mi/kWh.

The first two I was driving in the mid 70s and was dealing with a lot of AC use and traffic. The third leg includes an overnight camping spot on Walker Pass where I used the battery to power a space heater for a while and recharge my ‘house’ battery.

The last one seems about the best, near ideal conditions around 70 F and little to no wind. I had the D+ set at 65 mph most of this drive up CA 99. Sadly I have only had the 21s on my truck for a week now so don’t know what I should expect.

It seems that speeds above 70 mph really hit your efficiency, probably around 1.6-1.7 mi/kWh and at 65 mph you can get around 2 mi/kWh.

I’ll keep tracking on my route back to OR and update the main post.
Sponsored