Moving truck with door open

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
I solved this problem in my Tesla by buying a seatbelt extender. Much easier than messing with the brake / go pedal at the same time. I'd imagine this will also work in the Rivian, but I can't verify as I don't have one yet.
Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
There are times I open the door to line up the tires. The cameras are helpful but they don't cut it for some things. My 2020 Ram's cameras are actually more helpful.

WalnutFarmer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tesla P85, GMC Yukon, Chevy Silverado
YES! This is supposed to be a TRUCK. I am so sick of the government trying to protect me from myself. Trucks go places that need exceptions. An easy fix to this is to have Rivian allow the truck to move up to 3 MPH or something with the door open. I’ve had a Tesla for over 8 years and never even noticed this problem. But my R1T, I noticed it the first day I had it. Maybe I made a mistake and thought that this was an Adventure/Work vehicle and not another Tesla.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
Use your cameras. They work better than hopping in and out of the truck like it's 1964.
FWIW, I hooked my R1T up to my boat trailer this past weekend. While I used the cameras to line it up, I ended up overshooting by 1/2". As a result, the coupler dropped onto the ball, but I could not latch it. So I had to get back in the truck and pull forward just a little to seat it. Then, the wheel chocks in the front were crushed under the tires, so I had to get back in to back up just a little to ease the pressure. Then, because I'm an idiot and didn't do the rear chocks first, I'd backed hard onto them and had to drive forward a little to free them up.

3-4 times in and out of the truck for minor adjustments. I happened to close the door, and so didn't notice the mothering behavior here, but would normally have left it open.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
Also, when it came time to get the boat out of the water, I backed the trailer down the ramp, my wife drove the boat onto the trailer, and I got out of the truck to hook up the winch and tighten the boat onto the trailer.

Got back into the truck (with 7 people on the boat watching me and trucks on the ramp waiting for my spot) and tried to drive away. The truck shifted into park. I put it in drive, tried to drive, and it shifted into park. I realized that it thought the driver door was open (it wasn't) so I opened the door (bottom edge in the water) and closed it...but no, it's still not "closed". I opened it again, and pulled hard. Sloshed water into the floor of my truck, but still the door was not "closed". Repeated one more time and finally the truck was satisfied.

If the R1T had let me drive 2 feet at 1 MPH with the door "not fully closed", I would have been out of the water and had no issues. But instead it mothered me and embarrassed me, and delayed everyone waiting.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

There are times I open the door to line up the tires. The cameras are helpful but they don't cut it for some things. My 2020 Ram's cameras are actually more helpful.
There have been four or five times already that I have 100% needed to have my door open while trying to put my rear or front tire in an exact location that camera's don't work in. Let me decide whether or not I need to do this, not Rivian, a Nanny or someone else who isn't me.....

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I can think of several times off road where I've kept my door open and seatbelt unbuckled in case I needed to bail out in a hurry.
Sponsored