Sponsored

My Purchase Experience

dsudot77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tiguan
Good afternoon (sorry this will be long)

Been a pre-order holder since August 2020.
Live in Ottawa, and have had access to the shop since late december, but wasn't in a hurry to get a new vehicle in middle of winter, and this also allowed more time to stockpile some liquidity.

Last week we received the email indicating any specifically configured Rivian's would be pushed out until Septemberish due to plant refactoring. Alternatively anyone waiting would have to choose from shop. Also pre order , price discounts would only be available until September. I was okay to wait, but not okay to lose the pre-order pricing level.

I found a Rivian shop R1T that matched our config and selected it this past Friday March the 22nd***.
Sunday evening, i was given a pickup date of March 30th (quicker than i was prepared for :) )

Selecting a shop vehicle, enabled the ability to contact for a guide . The Rivian portal provided an email address for the guide.

*** selecting from the Rivian shop, led to me losing out on the accessories that I had chosen with my config (charger and full size spare), which means I also lost out on pre-order pricing for those items. I asked the guide if they could manually add at initial pre order pricing, and they said they could not. So if you have of accessories selected with pre-order pricing, try to figure out how to keep those before selecting a shop vehicle. Or bite the bullet and give up on that pricing.

The tasks available to me in the portal at the beginning (once a delivery/pickup date was provided) were
insurance
registration
and
trade in.

Insurance
---------------------
I ended up going with Rivians partner in Canada for insurance, Western Group Financial (underwritten by whoever they choose). For me this task was the longest one, and threatened pushing out the delivery, fortunately I was able to get this done today. This was my last day to do it, given Friday is a holiday and the my Ontario service centers (not Rivian's own) are closed on Friday (good friday) , which means Rivian needs to register the vehicle for me no later than Thursday and insurance needs to be in place for that to happen.

Registration
---------------------
Registration was a breeze, inputted my name and wife's name , and uploaded copies of drivers license and a secondary ID as well.

Trade-in (which is a dependency for financing/payments)
---------------------
This was the second longest path in the process, so important to start early (or maybe not even bother trying) as its a depenency for other tasks. It took 24 hours to get back a quote, which was exposed in the portal, once it was completed. The value offered was noticeably lower than that of what autotrader and its partners would provide (dealership buying my car). For my vehicle the value offered was approximately 25% lower compared to what a dealership would sell the car for, or what I can sell it for privately . Once the quote is provided, you have the option to accept or decline, to move on.

i declined and will sell my current privately after i pick up the Rivian.

This opened up financing
----------------------------------------
I opted to finance approx 60% of the vehicle, this was done via the portal, and rivians partner is scotia bank. i selected my preferred term,, inputted the down payment amount, and selected payment schedule. Next I Inputted my wife's name/my name, income and within a few minutes was approved. Both of us were part of the financing, because we are both co-registrants.

For those interested, the terms available were 48/60/72/84/96 months, and the interest rate ranged from 6.9 to (if i recall correctly) 7.4ish. (the lower the term, the lower the rate)

If you are curious my credit rating is 859 (or was at least), and wifes was 834 (not sure if this influenced the interest rates much though) .

Once financing was approved, this opened up the ability to remit payment and sign the purchase contracts

Remitting Payment (the down payment)
-------------------------
i did this via the rivian online portal by linking my bank account and approving a one time debit via "stripe"

Signing contracts
-----------------------------------
I esigned the purchase contracts, once i did, those contracts were then sent to my wife to sign as well. She esigned her iterations of them as well.

All purchase tasks are completed, and I am scheduled to pick up this weekend.

I'm sure some of this info/data is replicated from other posts, but hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Ask them to fully charge it so you can make it back, especially now since Electrify canada isn't working with the latest software updates!

Another Truck in Ottawa, one of 3 I think! There's another guy from Ottawa picking up an R1S on Saturday as well!

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

Live in Ottawa, and have had access to the shop since late december, but wasn't in a hurry to get a new vehicle in middle of winter, and this also allowed more time to stockpile some liquidity.

Last week we received the email indicating any specifically configured Rivian's would be pushed out until Septemberish due to plant refactoring. Alternatively anyone waiting would have to choose from shop. Also pre order , price discounts would only be available until September. I was okay to wait, but not okay to lose the pre-order pricing level.

I found a Rivian shop R1T that matched our config and selected it this past Friday March the 22nd***.
Sunday evening, i was given a pickup date of March 30th (quicker than i was prepared for :) )

Selecting a shop vehicle, enabled the ability to contact for a guide . The Rivian portal provided an email address for the guide.

*** selecting from the Rivian shop, led to me losing out on the accessories that I had chosen with my config (charger and full size spare), which means I also lost out on pre-order pricing for those items. I asked the guide if they could manually add at initial pre order pricing, and they said they could not. So if you have of accessories selected with pre-order pricing, try to figure out how to keep those before selecting a shop vehicle. Or bite the bullet and give up on that pricing.

The tasks available to me in the portal at the beginning (once a delivery/pickup date was provided) were
insurance
registration
and
trade in.

Insurance
---------------------
I ended up going with Rivians partner in Canada for insurance, Western Group Financial (underwritten by whoever they choose). For me this task was the longest one, and threatened pushing out the delivery, fortunately I was able to get this done today. This was my last day to do it, given Friday is a holiday and the my Ontario service centers (not Rivian's own) are closed on Friday (good friday) , which means Rivian needs to register the vehicle for me no later than Thursday and insurance needs to be in place for that to happen.

Registration
---------------------
Registration was a breeze, inputted my name and wife's name , and uploaded copies of drivers license and a secondary ID as well.

---------------------
This was the second longest path in the process, so important to start early (or maybe not even bother trying) as its a depenency for other tasks. It took 24 hours to get back a quote, which was exposed in the portal, once it was completed. The value offered was noticeably lower than that of what autotrader and its partners would provide (dealership buying my car). For my vehicle the value offered was approximately 25% lower compared to what a dealership would sell the car for, or what I can sell it for privately . Once the quote is provided, you have the option to accept or decline, to move on.

This opened up financing
I opted to finance approx 60% of the vehicle, this was done via the portal, and rivians partner is scotia bank. i selected my preferred term,, inputted the down payment amount, and selected payment schedule. Next I Inputted my wife's name/my name, income and within a few minutes was approved. Both of us were part of the financing, because we are both co-registrants.

For those interested, the terms available were 48/60/72/84/96 months, and the interest rate ranged from 6.9 to (if i recall correctly) 7.4ish. (the lower the term, the lower the rate)

If you are curious my credit rating is 859 (or was at least), and wifes was 834 (not sure if this influenced the interest rates much though) .

Once financing was approved, this opened up the ability to remit payment and sign the purchase contracts

i did this via the rivian online portal by linking my bank account and approving a one time debit via "stripe"

Signing contracts
I esigned the purchase contracts, once i did, those contracts were then sent to my wife to sign as well. She esigned her iterations of them as well.

I'm sure some of this info/data is replicated from other posts, but hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks!
Congrats! I've had mine since Sept here in BC; glad to see others getting delivery across Canada

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

insurance
registration
and
trade in.

Insurance
---------------------

Registration
---------------------

---------------------

This opened up financing

Signing contracts

Thanks!
Info is helpful as I am going through the process tonight...I am on the financing page and don't like the fact that taxes and fees are lumped in together - Would be good to have them separated so I know what the 'additional fees' are ...is there anywhere else in the portal where I can see this?

are you picking up sat or sun?

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

My calculation is showing approx $3482 in additional fees (I know there is a destination/delivery fee) - does this sound about right?

Sponsored

OP
OP

dsudot77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tiguan
Yes ,

in the portal there is a transaction summary, and within there is a fee section, it will also be broken down in the purchasing contract document , that requires signing, when you get to that stage

Reactions: GRC

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

I was charged a $375 Cargo cover fee in error and they said they weren't able to remove it so left it on and said I would get a cheque in the mail reimbursing me the $375. has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:
OP
OP

dsudot77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tiguan
that's unfortunate,

My total is 3164.00

I didn't have any cargo fee as part of my transaction summary, or purchase agreement, see below image for my list of fees

Rivian R1T R1S My Purchase Experience fees.JPG

OP
OP

dsudot77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tiguan
Picked up on Saturday with a guided experience. No issues there, but about 16 hours before i picked up, I was told the powered tonneau config i ordered, was not yet available, and would be something that rivian adds to my truck later (I assumed it came with it from the beginning) .

this is the message i received Friday evening.

Rivian R1T R1S My Purchase Experience 1711915574022-kv

have about 500 km on it now, phenomenal vehicle really. so far. For anyone interested no NAC adapter (tesla supercharger network) was provided (as of yet) , was told these will be shipped out (starting "soon"), in order of the initial roll out of the vehicles, aka my VIN is 32000+ something, so i assume I will receive my adapter after the first 32000 (give or take) vehicle delivery's.

The at home wall charger that I ordered as part of the overall package, has shipped separately and scheduled for delivery later this week (i need to get my electric panel retrofited before i can install it , so no rush).

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

Congrats!! Glad all went well with your pickup. The info about the PTC is consistent with what I've read from others that have the R1T on this forum.... My pickup was supposed to be today but got a call yesterday saying they wanted to reschedule - They blamed it on some of the paperwork related to financing with scotia bank. Anyhow, they wanted to move it out 3 days and I asked if I could have it delivered and after some checking internally, they came back and said "Yes" so now looks like I am scheduled for a Wed delivery.

Sponsored

a154610

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Engineer
I picked up my R1T on March 28th. The tonneau cover was the same situation. I made my downpayment via bank draft. I got the bank draft from the bank and sent a picture to the guide 3 days in advance of the pickup and then hand delivered the draft upon pickup. I know I have seen a lot of questions about this.

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

Congrats! Glad to see another one in the "east" end getting one :)

OP
OP

dsudot77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tiguan
Just a few little items to update, and things I had a hard time confirming prior to purchase

R1T licensed in Ontario because of its weight and the fact it’s a pickup, gets black plates , and a 250.00+ fee a year for licensing

charging in Canada away from home, is well super frustrating, hopefully the NACS adapter helps with that

charging at home, at least level 2, could lead to having to retrofit your electric panel from 100 to 200amp, and potentially the conduit from the meter to panel, have a few quotes now but nothing under 5000$, if you already have a 200a panel, then expect about 1200 to install Rivian wall charger

I have opted for maintaining my 100 amp panel and wiring a 60 a breaker for my charger which will only consume 48 at max, my yearly usage over the past year, never showed usage over 40a average in total for each hour of the year , so enough head room for charger without retrofitting panel and conduit

my G1 teen driver wants to drive it, more than I would prefer ( I would prefer 0 times). , that said he did very well his first time.

did I mention charging away from home , and on significant trips is frustrating , it really is
Sponsored