Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Looks like there is a locker on the new ram REV and Ramcharger

This is going to bring a lot of people around to EV trucks. I will probably order one too.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
While I applaud RAM for continuing to push their EVs, I’m pessimistic that RAM customers will pay up for an EV version. They have a near substitutable truck in ICE version that’s $10Ks cheaper—if anything like the F150 family.

I’ve repeated before, but I think the only way legacy OEMs ever make the leap to EVs successfully is if they launch brand new brands with brand specific features that aren’t part of the legacy ones. At least this way, consumers get a more tangible distinction, eg different brand status, features

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
800v and the battery size will move some people over. That gives a good 80 percent swing range and with 800v charging it makes a full day drive (700 miles) a one lunch stop affair.

They should have put in a more powerful motor. I know it's not necessary but c'mon... Give ford a run for their money.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Ramcharger is 400V.

92kw battery will go about 150 miles on a charge, per Autopian.

3.6L Pentastar is a generator only for the electric powertrain, putting out 130-140kw.

Total theoretical range of around 700 miles, everything topped up.

Class V towing of 14,000 lbs.

I'm not sure if I'm interested, impressed, horrified, or turned on. There is a lot going on here...

Sponsored

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
I’ve repeated before, but I think the only way legacy OEMs ever make the leap to EVs successfully is if they launch brand new brands with brand specific features that aren’t part of the legacy ones. At least this way, consumers get a more tangible distinction, eg different brand status, features
Strongly disagree.

There is a large number of people willing to go EV or PHEV/EREV but want same traditional styling and traditional interiors offered by the legacy OEMs.

People that want all new will simply go with an all new pure BEV automaker.

IMO the ~8k Ford Lightnings sitting on dealer lots right now are sitting there because on paper they kinda suck vs Silverado EV and RAM REV.

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Maybe this is OK and it is only my OCD but I am not sure if they really had to route this way?
Rivian R1T R1S New 2025 Ram and Ramcharger PHEV Hybrid revealed 1699359576573

I mean there was a option for a straight cable like they could do for the blue one:
Rivian R1T R1S New 2025 Ram and Ramcharger PHEV Hybrid revealed 1699359766516

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

While I applaud RAM for continuing to push their EVs, I’m pessimistic that RAM customers will pay up for an EV version. They have a near substitutable truck in ICE version that’s $10Ks cheaper—if anything like the F150 family.

My dad really likes my Rivian but can't bring himself to buy an EV as of yet. I bet the ramcharger will be what changes his mind, especially with the tow rating and the fact that you can do long distance driving entirely on gas without having to make extra stops because they gimped the size of the gas tank.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

800v and the battery size will move some people over. That gives a good 80 percent swing range and with 800v charging it makes a full day drive (700 miles) a one lunch stop affair.
The range extended EV (you know, the thing that's new as of this post. If you wanna talk about the EV only truck, there's a nice thread back from april) only has 400V charging. Battery is really only big enough for day-to-day use and not really worth attempting to do travel on DC charging IMO.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

The i'm rich screw the environment vibes as he shows up in a Heli are strong on this one.
Rivian R1T R1S New 2025 Ram and Ramcharger PHEV Hybrid revealed 1699363340690

Also so different then the concept but looks to be a much better truck than the Lightning IMO.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
My dad really likes my Rivian but can't bring himself to buy an EV as of yet. I bet the ramcharger will be what changes his mind, especially with the tow rating and the fact that you can do long distance driving entirely on gas without having to make extra stops because they gimped the size of the gas tank.
What do you mean by gimped the tank?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
The typical truck buyer is very conservative when it comes to styling. There are a number of truck owners who are interested in PHEV/BEV drivetrains, but prefer traditional styling and/or are incredibly loyal to a particular brand. These people are not even considering something like the Rivian or CT.

Jeep's 4xe drivetrain has been incredibly popular even though those models cost significantly more than 'substitutable' trims.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The range extended EV (you know, the thing that's new as of this post. If you wanna talk about the EV only truck, there's a nice thread back from april) only has 400V charging. Battery is really only big enough for day-to-day use and not really worth attempting to do travel on DC charging IMO.
Yeah, I was referring to the ram rev. In the video, but not new. I'm betting the charger is just half the batteries of the rev.

Having said that I'm not really interested in the charger. If I want to deal with gas, the hurricane is enticing. It could be useful for someone who wanted to charge for their daily commute though.
Sponsored