Sponsored

Overland Vehicle Systems - rooftop tents (Mamba, Sidewinder or Bushveld)?

zor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Does anyone here have any experience with the Mamba, Sidewinder or Bushveld tents on their R1S roof rack? Can you please show pics or share pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

Steven
Sponsored

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

LOL, you see the same deals on FB Marketplace in SoCal? Tempted to get one of them as well. If not one of those three, I've been eyeing this for a while, it looks like a clone of the Roofnest and other similar ones:
https://topoakoverland.com/products/galaxy1-0

Review:

I pinged the company and they said we can pick up locally in El Monte, and when I went through a test checkout, no tax too. So saving on shipping and tax...

Waiting to move before I purchase so I don't have to deal with yet another item to move and also so I can size any pulley storage system before committing.

Reactions: zor

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

FWIW I have an OVS awning and it is great, know a couple other Rivian folks that have them too. I have looked over some of their tents at overland expo and you might notice on things like mattress or zipper quality compared to higher priced competing products but they are not cheaply built.

Reactions: zor

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

FWIW I have an OVS awning and it is great, know a couple other Rivian folks that have them too. I have looked over some of their tents at overland expo and you might notice on things like mattress or zipper quality compared to higher priced competing products but they are not cheaply built.
If that is the only difference I would say just send it.

Mattresses are garbage, even on the $4k+ tents.

Use the saved money to just buy a Hest mattress or a Exped MegaMat

OP
OP

zor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Software
Clubs

I went for it and got the Sidewinder...man, it's a lot bigger than I thought. Can't mount this on the R1S by myself. I'm thinking of building a pulley system to store and mount.

OP
OP

zor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Software
Clubs

LOL, you see the same deals on FB Marketplace in SoCal? Tempted to get one of them as well. If not one of those three, I've been eyeing this for a while, it looks like a clone of the Roofnest and other similar ones:
https://topoakoverland.com/products/galaxy1-0

Review:

yeah, i went for it they gave me an amazing deal on the Sidewinder. Had a hard time deciding between that and Mamba.
Sponsored