Sponsored

Orientation of the TMBK Roof Top Tent

Which is better way to mount roof top tent on the truck?

• Total voters

polonus

First Name
Piotr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 51 Cadillac, Ford Transit Class B RV
Occupation
retired
I just received my TMBK Roof Top Tent, to be mounted over my R1T bed. It can be mounted "east-west", or "north-south". Watching other people with similar tents I see everybody are mounting them with the entrance on the side of the vehicle. Is that better option? I think mounting the tent with entrance at the rear of the truck may be the better option. What are your thoughts?

TMBK on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KZ57VGH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
TMBK on YT:
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
If you have it opening over the back then you make it difficult to use the bed and the tailgate. I set up my kitchen on the tailgate and keep my powered cooler in the bed so I can slide it out. I wouldn't even be able to open the cooler if it were underneath the opened tent.

I have my iKanper set up to open out on the passenger's side, and that works well for me

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

As @VSG mentioned, with it in the north - south orientation, it becomes harder to access the bed. HOWEVER this orientation can be a good thing if you have a bed rack and the tent set up N-S, the tent then becomes a roof over your tailgate area.
So if you are mounting it directly to the rivian cross bars, I would go E-W. If you have a bed rack and are able to mount the tent up higher, I would go N-S if room allowed.

Reactions: VSG

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I went front to back this last year because of a particular campsite setup I utilized. It was fine, but I’ll be switching to opening on the side because it really did become frustrating to have the bed access obstructed.
Sponsored