Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Earnings solid. Revenue, margins all heading in the right direction.

Notes from earnings call Q&A:

- 35% cost reduction in EDV realized already. Expect this same magnitude of material cost reduction in R1 next year

- EDVs are contribution margin positive. Contribution margin positive in R1s later this year with the introduction of max pack

- Confident in the R1 backlog deep into 2024

- Data to share with Tesla via charging stations: there is no data transfer built into the relationship.

- Rivian designed own ECUs, away from Tier 1 ECUs that other OEMs use. This enables Rivian to own software stack and push updates more readily, and not be confined by Tier 1 ECU functions.

- Next year, 60% reduction of ECUs in R1s next year. 25% reduction in wiring harness. $thousands cost savings per vehicle. Forms basis of R2.

- R1S / R1T : next quarter or two, 70%+ will be R1S production. Long term: 70% R1S / 30% R1T

- Close partnership with Rivian / Amazon: very confident that Amazon will allow Rivian to sell EDVs to others very soon. With Amazon's large position in $rivn, incentives are aligned.

- Pricing of R1 vehicles: Dual motor and future standard pack options allow R1s to fit into different budgets. Feel confident in current pricing. Also, Rivians have among the best residuals: another point that current pricing is appropriate.

- Continue to pursue strategy of producing all powertrain in-house: possible signal that quad motors will eventually be built in-house too.

- Rivian Insurance is currently a profitable segment.

- Rivian Gear sales will become bigger, especially with R2.

- Have plans for software subscriptions via Rivian, eg. in EDVs and in consumer side (features that require high software development complexity, high compute needs)

- Factory re-rate in mid 2024: 65K to 85K R1 capacity. Step change in cost structure. (Not really new news but good to hear reiterated)

- Future capital raise for Rivian: continue to evaluate opportunities with diversified approach, but no specifics on *when* mentioned.

- Rivian 1 Day Sale Event: these vehicles were late customer un-matches and opportunity to sell these locally without incurring transportation costs. Was mostly an experiment.

Rivian R1T R1S Q2 2023 Results -- $RIVN on the right trajectory: earnings solid and revenue, margins all heading in the right direction rivian margins
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Nice. Street was expecting 1 billion revenue looks like they beat by 10%

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I think a decent catalyst will be the connection to the Supercharger network. I have a hard time recommending any non Tesla EV, but if that is a seamless charging procedure and it's marketed correct I think that will help propel demand. However I think Rivian should still ditch the RAN network.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Notes from earnings call Q&A:

- 35% cost reduction in EDV realized already. Expect this same magnitude of material cost reduction in R1 next year

- EDVs are contribution margin positive. Contribution margin positive in R1s later this year with the introduction of max pack

- Confident in the R1 backlog deep into 2024

- Data to share with Tesla via charging stations: there is no data transfer built into the relationship.

- Rivian designed own ECUs, away from Tier 1 ECUs that other OEMs use. This enables Rivian to own software stack and push updates more readily, and not be confined by Tier 1 ECU functions.

- Next year, 60% reduction of ECUs in R1s next year. 25% reduction in wiring harness. $thousands cost savings per vehicle. Forms basis of R2.

- R1S / R1T : next quarter or two, 70%+ will be R1S production. Long term: 70% R1S / 30% R1T

- Close partnership with Rivian / Amazon: very confident that Amazon will allow Rivian to sell EDVs to others very soon. With Amazon's large position in $rivn, incentives are aligned.

- Pricing of R1 vehicles: Dual motor and future standard pack options allow R1s to fit into different budgets. Feel confident in current pricing. Also, Rivians have among the best residuals: another point that current pricing is appropriate.

- Continue to pursue strategy of producing all powertrain in-house: possible signal that quad motors will eventually be built in-house too.

- Rivian Insurance is currently a profitable segment.

- Rivian Gear sales will become bigger, especially with R2.

- Have plans for software subscriptions via Rivian, eg. in EDVs and in consumer side (features that require high software development complexity, high compute needs)

- Factory re-rate in mid 2024: 65K to 85K R1 capacity. Step change in cost structure. (Not really new news but good to hear reiterated)

- Future capital raise for Rivian: continue to evaluate opportunities with diversified approach, but no specifics on *when* mentioned.

- Rivian 1 Day Sale Event: these vehicles were late customer un-matches and opportunity to sell these locally without incurring transportation costs. Was mostly an experiment.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I think a decent catalyst will be the connection to the Supercharger network. I have a hard time recommending any non Tesla EV, but if that is a seamless charging procedure and it's marketed correct I think that will help propel demand. However I think Rivian should still ditch the RAN network.
"However I think Rivian should still ditch the RAN network"...That's a negative ghost rider

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ultimately that means the max pack isn't range competitive with the upcoming top of the truck segment though. But with their continuation of RAN it will probably not be as big of a deal. The amount of the market that wants to spend $100k on a truck to tow frequently is probably vanishingly small.
Sponsored