Sponsored

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Great data / info from The Drive on R1S cargo dimensions / measurements.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume Screen-Shot-2022-06-25-at-8.49.40-AM

Front Trunk

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_FRUNK-UPPERIMG_4117-copy

The front trunk is bisected in the middle, with a divider that's held open with a little pair of magnets. For those who skipped my intro: These measurements are not the maximum size of the space, they represent the largest cuboid box I thought I close in there without hitting walls or edges.

The R1S's frunk is certainly big enough to be useful but I wouldn't call it cavernous. It's not like the interior walls stretch to the exterior sheet metal—there's quite a bit of car between the cargo cavity and the outside. In daily use, it'd be great for groceries, and on a long-haul overland trip, I might toss the first stuff I set up at camp in there like my Kelty Discovery Shade and some chairs.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_FRUNK-LOWER-IMG_4116-copy

Under that first section, you've got another area that's a little shallow but wide. I must admit that this is probably the least optimally measured section with a cuboid box so don't get too hung up on my depth, here. As you can see, you could go a little deeper if you utilize that sunken section. This is all hard-plastic lined and it's even got a little one-way drain valve (bottom left corner of the box from this picture's perspective), so you could toss wet stuff in there. I think it'd probably take forever and a day to drain if you straight-up filled it with water or ice, though.

Finally, you'll notice the shelf is being held up for the photo. It snaps into this open position with magnets, so you could fit much taller things in there if you didn't need a shelf. That "nine-inch tall" measurement imagines that the shelf is down.

Cockpit

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_cockpit-IMG_4118-2

With no transmission between the front passengers, the area between the footwells (yellow in the illustration) is great for storing something like a little cooler or maybe even a compact recovery kit if you're really mud bogging. Rivian's people mentioned they often found themselves putting Nalgene-sized waterbottles down there; I could see myself using it for the little duffle bag I carry my dog's food and accessories in on trips.

The armrest opens to a center console storage hole (purple) that seemed a bit smaller than what I've seen in, say, half-ton pickup trucks. It would not fit a laptop computer but water bottles, hand tools, and similar-sized stuff would go just fine.

Ahead of that is a little tray (blue) with wireless phone charging. Now, obviously, you could stick something much taller than five inches there—but that's as much space as I'd be willing to give up there without getting annoying and in the way of infotainment access.

Just below that is a pull-out cupholder for two beverages that'd hold a standard pair of coffee tumblers. And below that is a cute little removable speaker/lantern thing that stows flush ahead of that storage area I marked in yellow.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_SEAT-UNDERPOCKETIMG_4133-copy

Each of the front seats has a tiny little nook that opens to reveal a triangular pocket. If you like having quick access to a Toblerone chocolate, you'll be stoked on this. I personally tend to wear tight pants so I like to pull my wallet and phone out of my front pockets on long drives—this little thing would be good for that, too. Or maybe a spare pair of sunglasses. Somebody made a joke about this being "the concealed-carry compartment" but it would definitely not fit a handgun.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume M_door-pocket-IMG_4119-copy

The door pockets are pretty standard; the top expands out if you stuff something big in there. They're a lot bigger than the map pockets on some old SUVs; I'd probably stash a pair of flip-flops and a water bottle in mine.

In the R1S, you'll find one of these pockets in each door, front and back.

Full Cargo Position, Second and Third Row Down

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_rear-ALL-SEATS-DOWN-IMG_4122-copy

Once again, remember that these measurements here are not edge-to-edge. This represents the biggest cuboid box I'd be willing to slide into an R1S I was paying off a $90,000 loan for. I'm not trying to say the SUV felt fragile, but I know myself and I'd be sweating bullets if, like, a bike handlebar got anywhere near that headliner or the third-row armrests.

If you want to preserve rear visibility, cut that 28-inch measurement down to about 20 inches.

With all the seats down, a couple and their young kid and even a decent-sized dog could all sleep in the back of this thing pretty easily. Three adults might have to be in a special relationship to bunk up here but I'm about six feet tall and a medium t-shirt size, and I could sleep next to one platonic friend in an R1S without making it weird. Another cool thing is that if you did want to snooze in the rig, you'd still have cargo space because of that front trunk and a little way-back sub-section we'll get into in a bit.

Finally, I want to point out how seamlessly flat the cargo floor is between the way-back and the folded-down third-row seats. There's a tiny little ledge so that when all the seats are down, you can pull the rear floor up just a smidge which gives you this great, smooth cargo floor. You might also notice that there are cargo tie-down clips on rails; those pop out too if you want more flatness.

Unfortunately, neither the second or third-row seats are designed to be easily removed all the way. I don't have kids but I still like huge SUVs; I'd be curious to see just how much space you could make if you unbolted basically everything aft of the cab and made a mega camper/sleeper rig.

Five-Pax Mode, Third Row Down

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_rear-THIRD-ROW-DOWN-IMG_4121-copy

The only thing to note about my measurement in this position is that the second row of seats reclines, and I set them in a comfortable position here. You could eek out a little more space if you had your rear passengers sitting bolt upright.

Max Passenger Position, All Seats Up

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_rear-ALL-SEATS-UP2-IMG_4120-copy-2-scaled

I was earnestly impressed with how much space the R1S has behind the third row. If you've ever tried to pack all the seats in, say, a Toyota 4Runner, Mercedes-Benz GLS, or even a Chevy Tahoe, you'll know that once every seat belt is buckled you've got basically no space for stuff. Not the case here.
Note that I also allowed for more width in my made-up measurement box in this configuration, because the third-row armrests are no longer a consideration. You may also notice that the bottom of this "box" is a lot longer than the top, breaking my cuboids rule. Sorry, but the taper was significant enough that it had to be pointed out—while the floor gives you about 21 inches of depth, the third row reclines in such a way that by the time you get to the top, a 21-inch-deep box would no longer fit.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_rear-upper-IMG_4125-copy

Removing the cargo cover reveals this three-section storage area. A hose for the air compressor comes in the left little pocket and a first-aid kit comes in the right, so the areas I marked in blue are going to be booked up with those if you carry them.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Dimensions & Measurements: Cargo Area, Trunk, Frunk, Storage Volume m_rear-lower-IMG_4124-copy

There's one more layer of secret storage behind the third row of seats. If you wanted to, you could probably ditch that three-section thing altogether and have one bigger bucket here. Much like the frunk, a cuboid box is pretty limited here—there's a decent amount of room in here for things that aren't all hard 90-degree angles.
Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
So with the 3rd row seats up, If I did my math right, you are looking at less than 17 ftÂł. Which is less than the industry leading midsize suv's cargo space with 3rd row up. (Telluride, 21 ftÂł). Not counting the below floor space.

I think the frunk space kind of makes up for this...........

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

THIS is the data I’ve been waiting for 🙌

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Thanks for the info. This is awesome! Now I can start figuring out how to fit a dog crate behind the third row seats. It’s beginning to look like a custom job based on pitch of the seats. That or the three kids I like least are going 3 across row 2 and my favorite gets to ride with doggo with a third row seat down. It’s going to be hard convincing the wife to replace the Suburban with this for our yearly summer trip to New England.

Last edited:

jojo168

First Name
JWU
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pilot16, Odyssey08, Accord07
Occupation
numbers guy
Thank you for these measurements. Did you take the measurement for the 2nd row seat space.

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So with the 3rd row seats up, If I did my math right, you are looking at less than 17 ftÂł. Which is less than the industry leading midsize suv's cargo space with 3rd row up. (Telluride, 21 ftÂł). Not counting the below floor space.

Apples to oranges comparison in the aforementioned article. That said, it is less than the telluride behind the 3rd row. Telluride is smaller behind 2nd and 1st row by a tiny amount not counting the bonus space below the floor.

But the article itself is deliberately under counting versus edge to edge cargo volume based on the authors personal “comfort” levels

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I would be mounting a MTB inside the R1S, so I would need some headroom. I would probably remove the front wheel and attach the forks to a mount down in the spare tire tub, thus reducing the overall height of the bike. I know Rivian lists the cargo height at 33.66”, barely enough for my bike to clear - I hope. What I would like to know is, what is the height of the tailgate opening? Does the 28” represent the maximum height of the tailgate opening, or is there some more head room there, for loading purposes?

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Thank you for this info. I was wondering if anyone could provide the dimensions (L x W) of the cargo tie-downs at their furthest positions. My Ioniq 5 came with a cargo net and I really like using it to secure things and would be interested in getting one for the R1S. Unfortunately, I don't have my own yet...

Fatdagreat78

First Name
Fathom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Senior Director Operator/US Legislator

Fatdagreat78

First Name
Fathom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
I just need to make it to StoneMountain Georgia

Sponsored

hawk77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
I tend to use a lot the frunk for day to day grocery stuff, so it does not really bother me trunk space when 3rd row is up. It really makes up for "maybe" smaller size...

Fatdagreat78

First Name
Fathom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Don't understand where you trying to guide me, it's the same picture. Told you to call
Sponsored