First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
Completed my first R1S quad motor tire rotation.

I had gone in for the compact spare which comes with a jack kit, had also invested in a full size tire which also comes with a jack kit to do a 5 tire rotation to get more milage from the tires.

Was able to complete in 2 hours - the two jacks helped, next time can do it faster.

Tools used - Dewalt - DWMT45012 (this kit fits very well in the frunk Bottom portion) comes with 22mm (Rivian lug size) socket, DCF891B - you may not need this, just helps remove the lug nuts and put them back quicker. EV sportline builds a great kit however saw that after I had bought all my tools.

Torque wrench is a must have to ensure lug nuts are tightened to specs. In my humble opinion R1 owners should do this themselves at least once to be prepared for tire issues while traveling.

Quick tips -
1. Put vehicle in off road mode - this raises the vehicle to max. Put vehicle in tire changing mode in service menu.

2. Make sure you put something behind the tires for safety ( used the two metal stoppers in the kit).

3. Used both jacks at same time to speed things up on one side of vehicle first - With your hand you can align jack with underbody hole and then adjust jack.

4. Remove lug nuts and put them in carefully to preserve threads.

5. When adding the tire I had to adjust the jack a bit higher to ensure proper alignment. I made sure the jack raised the tire about 1/2 inch off the floor.

6. Use Torque wrench to ensure you are up to specs.

7. I did a test drive immediately after inspecting and checking everything.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Before discovering that conserve was wearing the front tires 2x the rear, started using all
Purpose.
Replaced the near bald scorpion 20 fronts ( with very even wear and non cupping) with good used (19/32) at 22k , left rears alone .
Staying in AP except for road trip mileage estimate orig rears will go to 35k
Any reason to swap fronts and rears.?

OP
OP

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
One thing I have noticed as of the update before last or the update before that - quite often when you are stopping at a light or elsewhere even while using AP only the front two tires show regen.

You will only notice this if you have the detailed diagnostic screen showing tire pressure, motor temp etc. on all the time. It does not happen all the time but has happened often enough for me to take notice, it appears Rivian may have changed the behavior in AP mode.

Hoping others have noticed it too and it is not just my R1S. If that is the case you will still notice an uneven wear.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
One thing I have noticed as of the update before last or the update before that - quite often when you are stopping at a light or elsewhere even while using AP only the front two tires show regen.

You will only notice this if you have the detailed diagnostic screen showing tire pressure, motor temp etc. on all the time. It does not happen all the time but has happened often enough for me to take notice, it appears Rivian may have changed the behavior in AP mode.

Hoping others have noticed it too and it is not just my R1S. If that is the case you will still notice an uneven wear.
Our Dual Motor R1S transmits most power (acceleration or deceleration) through the front tires when in All Purpose mode, except for a few moments when accelerating from a stop. I view this as normal, consistent with what the Owners Guide says to expect.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I did my own tire rotation a couple of weeks ago and that was really no different than doing it on other cars; however, there were several things to keep in mind...

1) a breaker bar comes in very handy (which I had)
2) magnetic jack pucks would be better (which I didn't have) because you don't need to hold the jack puck and jack at the same time
3) don't jack your car too high because those damn tires were so heavy
4) ensure your torque wrench is high enough for 140 ft/pd

Other than that... piece of cake!
Sponsored