First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T dual drive
Occupation
retired
I received my R1T dual drive in December 2023 and since I live in Rossland, a ski town in southern BC, I needed snow tires and rims. I did what I have always done, go down to my local dealer who fixed me up with some Yokohama Iceguards and off I went on a trip to Winthrop where it got very cold and a suspension warning light came on. On my return it didn't go away so I took the winter rims off and with the summers on it disappeared. So I figured the rims were the problem and ordered so rims from 1ev at Sport line. However, the warning light is back on again with those rims now even though they say they are made for the R1T and have the +48 offset. Could it be the Yokohamas that are the problem?
Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hmm, lots of people have aftermarket rims and tires, including me. Instinct tells me it’s probably something else causing it… unless you’re rubbing in a low setting?

My snow tires are definitely bigger than my stock 21s, so I avoid the low height setting

OP
OP

TR4

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T dual drive
Occupation
retired
My snow tires are 175/60 R20 which had the same radius as the 21" summers that they replaced. Maybe you have to use 175/65 R20 even though they have a larger radius.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

My snow tires are 175/60 R20 which had the same radius as the 21" summers that they replaced. Maybe you have to use 175/65 R20 even though they have a larger radius.
I assume that's a typo and you mean 275*/60R20

I'm running 275/60 R20 to match the radius of the 21s I use for summer. I'm using ATs with 3PMS (a compromise, for sure versus dedicated winter, but I'm not made of money and plan to also do some off-roading, so this is my dual purposed setup).

I've been rocking this setup since Early January and have had 0 problems.

So, to mirror others' opinions, I do believe there's something else going on, and it's likely unrelated to your wheel and tire setup. Especially if you're back on the OEM 21s and are having persistent issues, I think it's time to setup a service appointment.

Good luck to you--let us know what you find out!

OP
OP

TR4

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T dual drive
Occupation
retired
Yup. I have my service appointment set up. I hope your both right as I don't want to have to shell out for another set of tires and rims especially if it is at the Rivian price.

Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yup. I have my service appointment set up. I hope your both right as I don't want to have to shell out for another set of tires and rims especially if it is at the Rivian price.
If you do wind up making a change, here is what I went with and have been happy with them - they've performed great in the snow, slush and ice but also day to day. I did a minor efficiency comparison test, and as best as I can tell it's about a 5% hit from the 21s

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-updated-with-efficiency-test-and-pics.18422/

OP
OP

TR4

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T dual drive
Occupation
retired
That is interesting that you are getting away with a +25 offset while mine at +48, which is what is prescribed, are giving me grief.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm guessing your suspension just isn't loving being that cold. It's happened to a few people in extreme climates, and is common with air suspension.
Sponsored