First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y, Ford F-150
Occupation
Music Industry
Has anyone had luck at Supercharger stations using the Tesla membership for charging 'Other EVs?' I signed up for it, but cannot get it to work. My plug n charge works just fine, but charges full-price rates. When I attempt to charge using the Tesla app directly, and following the specific directions from Rivian support, I get an error in the Tesla app. Has anyone experienced and/or remedied this?

Rivian R1T R1S Supercharger Membership Errors Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 8.19.29 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Supercharger Membership Errors IMG_0893.PNG
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Strange error. I have used the Tesla app and my membership a dozen times without incident. I doubt it makes a difference, but I do not have a cc in the Rivian app which would enable plug and charge at full price.

Did you try a reset of the vehicle? Different credit card? Force close the Tesla app and try again?

OP
OP
lightsgoblack

lightsgoblack

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Music Industry
Strange error. I have used the Tesla app and my membership a dozen times without incident. I doubt it makes a difference, but I do not have a cc in the Rivian app which would enable plug and charge at full price.

Did you try a reset of the vehicle? Different credit card? Force close the Tesla app and try again?
I have not tried any of those remedies yet, but certainly will next time I go to charge with some patience.

Are you using Rivian or A2Z adapter?

Thanks!

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

We just got done using this method for about 5 charges on a road trip without issue. I think I'm going to go with credit card error as the cause. If it is charging on plug and charge fine I think that means it is a payment processing thing.

Is the same card with Rivian and Tesla? Maybe delete all the payment methods from the Tesla app and then add it again, or a different card?

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsgoblack

lightsgoblack

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Music Industry
We just got done using this method for about 5 charges on a road trip without issue. I think I'm going to go with credit card error as the cause. If it is charging on plug and charge fine I think that means it is a payment processing thing.

Is the same card with Rivian and Tesla? Maybe delete all the payment methods from the Tesla app and then add it again, or a different card?
Thanks for the feedback -- going to give all that a shot.

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can charge just fine using the Tesla membership rates by activating the charging session using the Tesla app before I plug it in.

Rivian R1T R1S Supercharger Membership Errors IMG_2938

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Someone had a payment declined case on reddit, I don't think this is you since your successfully charging with plug and charge, but maybe worth checking...

You must have had a payment decline or funds unavailable when the charge was complete at the previous stop. Like if you used a prepaid or debit card. What you need to do is go into the Rivian app, find a tesla charger on the map and select it. When the description shows up at the bottom, hit the arrow on the right hand side. Then scroll down and select any available charger then hit "Start Charge". If you have a balance owing, it will pop up and guide you thru paying the amount due. You don't have to be at the charger to do this at all. There is an email that Rivian sends when this happens and the instructions are SO less than helpful and the SC has no clue how to fix it.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

BEFORE you plug it in....gonna try that.
haha, oh no! Yea, you need to have the handle in your hand and not plugged into the rivian when you initiate the charge in the app. It takes a second for the app to initiate the charge, but once I hit the charge button in the app I usually plug it in without delay and it works fine.

Sponsored

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

Same here worked great. You have to operate it like a magic dock charger.

Don't plug the truck in, do everything through the Tesla app.

Select charging site, select charger, then when it tells you to plugin you plug in. Should work and give you member rate 😎

OP
OP
lightsgoblack

lightsgoblack

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Music Industry
Same here worked great. You have to operate it like a magic dock charger.

Don't plug the truck in, do everything through the Tesla app.

Select charging site, select charger, then when it tells you to plugin you plug in. Should work and give you member rate 😎
Oh man, the plot thickens...

Ok so today I tested out the approach of:

1. Don't even have Rivian app open
2. Don't plug in charger yet
3. Open Tesla app, go to Charge Other EV, etc., 'Charge Here,' select your station, start...

So now this time I didn't get the error you see in the screenshot from my original post, and it looked like it was working through the Tesla app and said it would generate a summary that would be available later...I believe around that time I did go into the Rivian app, just to sort of poke around, see if it showed it was charging, etc. I almost immediately got a pre-auth charge via Apple Pay that said 'Rivian $25.00.' After my charging session, I got a receipt from Rivian (at full price), and there's no receipt or anything in my Tesla app....

For those of you that it's working for, do any of you have a credit card saved in the Rivian app? Maybe that's the problem and I need to just remove my payment method completely from Rivian app before proceeding?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Never had an issue. Initiate with Tesla app before plugging in. If you plug in first, plug and charge takes over and you pay full price.

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

It sounds to me like Tesla is unable to charge your card for some reason, then what's happening is its defaulting to plug and charge which is billed through Rivian.

The $25 is a pre auth. You will see something similar with Tesla.

My suggestions at this point would be:

1) Try a full reset on the truck (hazard button + far left steering wheel button) try again after the truck fully reboots.

2) also try a different credit/debit card card

3) Lastly, verify you have an active membership with Tesla in the Tesla app. MENU>Charging>Membership

Hope this helps.
Sponsored