Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Battle scar... not worth fixing? But I'm sure it sucks on your pristine ride.

I picked up my Model S on a Wednesday evening in early 2013. Friday morning I headed from Boston to NYC in a moderate snow storm. Five minutes later, at a traffic light, a car that couldn't stop slid slowly into my left rear door, denting it. So I know how you feel.
Take it to a paintless dent removal shop.
Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

According to some here in the forum, there is no problem at all with the way these tires on this truck handle on snow/ ice and it’s all just driver error and you don’t know how to drive on your own driveway :asshat:

Please, Rivian….snow mode:D

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Wow, those tires are allegedly:
  • 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake certified
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Very sorry to hear about your experience and damage. Yikes.
3 peak is good, but the test is completed by each manufacturer on their own and does not include turning or braking, which are KINDA important in those conditions.

Some important information to remember about 3PMSF branding.

• Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
  • Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire, however 3PMSF-branded all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed.
It sure is starting to look like snow tires will be a must for these vehicles unless Rivian can come up with some software wizardry to keep the truck on the road.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Have taken this turn out of my driveway for 10 years with a Tundra, Tacoma, Xterra, WRX STI and am used to it. The Rivian, even with feathering the throttle just kept sliding. The tree was the only thing stopping it from going over the edge. Unfortunately now my hood has a nice dent in it. Had a hand winch to a tree and tensioned it, was able to back the truck up. It wouldn't let me go into offroad mode as the ground wasn't flat enough (odd since if you get stuck while in all purpose...you can't get into better modes for extraction.)

20221209_085018.jpg
This looks similar to my driveway. My RAM did terrible and would slide easily in a few inches of PNW wet snow and no ice. This was mostly due to the OE Goodyear Eagle touring tires. My 22's have similar tread. I'll be borrowing the wife's Wrangler...

gt28

First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi S5 Cabriolet, 4 Wranglers
Occupation
Professional Email Deleter
I think they know they need a snow mode. I was talking to my guide about it, and they are usually as close to the company line (its not our fault, its yours) as they can be. He said they are evaluating a snow mode in the engineering space. I guess the rubicon will be the snow car.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Bed your brakes first! I read the thread below and tried a few sudden stops in neutral on dry pavement. Holy hulking hippo is this truck heavy! My brakes did not fare anywhere near as well as full regen in slowing the truck.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/discussion-bed-your-brakes-after-delivery.10643/
It's not the brakes. the ATs are not good at stopping or turning when they are cold in packed snow or slippery surfaces.
Yep. Acceleration does pretty well, not impressed with control under braking, turning.
This. I'm going to continue to sit on my soap box on this. The 20s are not good at stopping and turning, at least with a vehicle with the weight of the R1T at the tire pressures Rivian recommends.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

According to some here in the forum, there is no problem at all with the way these tires on this truck handle on snow/ ice and it’s all just driver error and you don’t know how to drive on your own driveway :asshat:

Please, Rivian….snow mode:D
... Is this not just an example of driving too fast for conditions? With how long the accelerator in the Rivian is and how amazing the traction control is programmed for acceleration, it's easy to get in over your head.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m getting more and more worried about this and I really hope Rivian addresses it. My R1S is scheduled for summer ‘23, so I’ll have some time before next winter, but I’m almost fully committed to figuring out some snow tire situation.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
... Is this not just an example of driving too fast for conditions? With how long the accelerator in the Rivian is and how amazing the traction control is programmed for acceleration, it's easy to get in over your head.
It may be, though OP says they're used to driving in snow in their own driveway. The issue I have, regardless of potentially driving too fast, is the wheels locking on regen and likely not unlocking in like ABS would.

I switched from the 20s specifically because my truck was sliding laterally and not stopping in a *parking lot* and stopping from less than 5 mph in a situation I've never experienced.

OP
OP

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Looks like you missed the part where I describe this is my driveway that I've taken for over 10 years and lots of vehicles, never experienced the lack of traction availability like in this one.
Often conditions have been much worse than what I experienced today, including ice pack.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

In Texas we don't have much snow, but lots of wet slick mud. I do not like how the Rivian handles in the slick conditions at all. I think the computer really takes over when driving in the slick conditions and really compromises the driving experience and intuitive control. I've noticed that the computer will not send any power to a spinning wheel without enough traction, which is not what you want when you are in soft, wet mud...you really want to keep momentum going and keep all wheels spinning (to an extent). I would push on the accelerator and nothing happens because the computer is registering that there isn't enough traction on the wheel(s). Quite annoying. Not having any power in slick conditions is crazy for these type of muddy conditions.

My Jeep Wrangler was seriously so much better in these conditions it's not even close.

A snow or MUD mode would help (I hope).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It may be, though OP says they're used to driving in snow in their own driveway. The issue I have, regardless of potentially driving too fast, is the wheels locking on regen and likely not unlocking in like ABS would.
I always take time the first snowfall to get to know how a new vehicle is going to behave in situations that aren't perilous. I'm probably in a minority here but it's super important to know these things and learn how to control the vehicle to avoid unwanted situations.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I always take time the first snowfall to get to know how a new vehicle is going to behave in situations that aren't perilous. I'm probably in a minority here but it's super important to know these things and learn how to control the vehicle to avoid unwanted situations.
I agree, which is how I found out about my issue with the 20s. However, Rivian's official answer to unlocking the wheels if they are sliding because of a regen situation is to accelerate. So if you encounter an unexpected slide (like this), ABS isn't available unless you accelerate first, and then quickly get to the brake before the wheels lock again.
Sponsored