Sponsored

HVAC functionality -- heats only when the temp is set above 71 and does not use external temp as reference?

Jagger027

First Name
Jagan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and Palisade
Has anyone noticed that the HVAC turns on heat only when the temp is set above 71 and does not use external temp as reference.

Example:
If outside is 40, setting 68 or 70 turns on AC with cold air instead of hot air but the moment you set it to 72 it changes to hot air
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Has anyone noticed that the HVAC turns on heat only when the temp is set above 71 and does not use external temp as reference.

Example:
If outside is 40, setting 68 or 70 turns on AC with cold air instead of hot air but the moment you set it to 72 it changes to hot air
Yes, this has been discussed elsewhere, such as https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/normal-hvac-behavior.12699/

Rivian seems to have some work to do here since even a Cadillac from the 1970s did better.

OP
OP
Jagger027

Jagger027

First Name
Jagan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and Palisade

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I donā€™t have my R1S yet, but this does seem like a miss on a basic function. I think anyone who has had a car with climate control (you set a target temperature and the system does whatever it needs to reach and maintain it) will be disappointed with Rivianā€™s until they fix it. Iā€™m confident they will fix it. While annoying, there is a work-around to force the system to do what you need so I understand why it is a lower priority than other things which need to be addressed.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I had snowflake icons on my display but was getting warm air at 68 lol Iā€™ve given up trying to figure it out. Just park in the sun the truck will be extremely warm in no time.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It's a known issue... there is some slight variation from vehicle to vehicle, but to get heat the temp usually needs to be set at 72 or higher. It's idiotic especially considering cars have had HVAC since the 1950's and Rivian felt they had to reinvent how it functions for some reason?

Wait till it's summer and your truck is 110 inside so you set the HVAC temp to 75deg and the heat comes on o_O

CodeZephyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MX-5, 2019 Porsche Macan
Occupation
Executive
We have had our temperature set to 71 since we picked up our R1T. It definitely does heat at 71 both in pre-conditioning and while driving. But as temperatures have warmed up a bit we are seeing the same type of behavior others have mentioned here (e.g. it's air-conditioning when it's 50 outside). We've tried 70, and 72, and honestly it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference.

I don't personally believe the claims that the HVAC turns the heat on at a specific set temperature, and the AC below a certain temperature, with ambient air in the middle as I've seen some folks report. It just seems like the system is taking into account sunlight exposure on the sensors, cabin temperature and other factors and making less than ideal choices. Of all the modern cars we've have the Porsche is the only one that I've found perfect. Our Jeep would go from all heat to all AC on a dime and had no concept of middle ground. Hopefully the handling improves in a future software update.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
While annoying, there is a work-around to force the system to do what you need so I understand why it is a lower priority than other things which need to be addressed.
I completely understand this comment, but I have had solid functioning auto-HVAC on every car I have owned since my 1998 Chrysler 300M (Was it ugly? I still can't tell). This will be really frustrating to me and I would love it to be a priority. My guide indicated to me a few months ago that she submitted the issue to software development using an internal system they have, but I would love someone to get Wassym Bensaid to look at it (again) on Reddit. That seems to get the quickest action from Rivian on software problems.

In reading about this problem, as well as just general life experience, I have seen that there are two distinct groups. I think I am in the minority in that I love the auto function and rely on it. Others never (or maybe rarely) use it. For those of us that use it exclusively it will be a headache.

I am crazy enough about it that the first thing I do when I get in another person's car is sync the temperature and set it up on auto. Clearly I do not have many friends...

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I have not noticed this behavior on my truck.

I leave my climate set to 70 degrees on Auto, and the truck keeps it at 70 degrees without any other interventions from me. I can hear (and see) the vents opening and closing depending on whether it needs to heat or cool the cabin.

Maybe it varies by vehicle?

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
While I've noticed how "weird" the system functions, I can at least say pretty confidently that regardless of the behavior, the temperature is always right where I want it to be. I think solar heating is significant in this vehicle, as I can run the vehicle with HVAC off when it's only 45 degrees outside and sunny and the cabin will often get warmer than I'd want,. I generally have the temp set to 69.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

ā€œNot A California Problemā€.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I completely understand this comment, but I have had solid functioning auto-HVAC on every car I have owned since my 1998 Chrysler 300M (Was it ugly? I still can't tell). This will be really frustrating to me and I would love it to be a priority. My guide indicated to me a few months ago that she submitted the issue to software development using an internal system they have, but I would love someone to get Wassym Bensaid to look at it (again) on Reddit. That seems to get the quickest action from Rivian on software problems.

In reading about this problem, as well as just general life experience, I have seen that there are two distinct groups. I think I am in the minority in that I love the auto function and rely on it. Others never (or maybe rarely) use it. For those of us that use it exclusively it will be a headache.

I am crazy enough about it that the first thing I do when I get in another person's car is sync the temperature and set it up on auto. Clearly I do not have many friends...
Oh, it would be really frustrating to me, too! I bought a very used 1975 Cadillac Eldorado in the late ā€˜80s and the automatic climate control worked exactly as youā€™d want: heating or cooling quickly to get to the set temperature and then calmly maintaining what youā€™d set. While only one zone, the fact that it worked well in 1975 makes me think that it is a given that a vehicle almost 50 years (50!) newer could do at least as well.

Iā€™m not giving Rivian a pass, but I think if they solve vampire drain issues, 12V charging issues, suspension issues, Driver+ issues, and other things which are more reasonably classified as core functions or safety-related first that itā€™s understandable to me.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Oh, it would be really frustrating to me, too! I bought a very used 1975 Cadillac Eldorado in the late ā€˜80s and the automatic climate control worked exactly as youā€™d want: heating or cooling quickly to get to the set temperature and then calmly maintaining what youā€™d set. While only one zone, the fact that it worked well in 1975 makes me think that it is a given that a vehicle almost 50 years (50!) newer could do at least as well.

Iā€™m not giving Rivian a pass, but I think if they solve vampire drain issues, 12V charging issues, suspension issues, Driver+ issues, and other things which are more reasonably classified as core functions or safety-related first that itā€™s understandable to me.
Iā€™m probably less sensitive to temperature than a lot of people but have not had an issue with the HVAC. I did a 17 day trip in temps ranging from 20 to 75, would keep the temp setting between 68 on warmer days and 70 on colder days. I always thought the auto was only for fan speed, I do not use it and usually just set the fan on 1 or 2. The vehicle kept me comfortable to the point I never thought about how the HVAC was or was not working. šŸ¤·šŸ»
Sponsored