First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Clearly, you have fellow Riviots here who also get great joy, although little relief, by incessantly hitting the refresh button.

I am now officially a Riviot.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Oh okay, I got it. Interesting. Also interesting is the new Tail Edition Tacoma bedside-mounted lockable bed storage compartments. What are all your thoughts about the Tacoma vs R1T at 1/2 the cost? Obviously you lose the luxury of the R1T interior but for size of trucks/cost...Its something to think about.
Not even remotely competitors, imo.

The Tacoma is an enigma, in my book. On paper, it's not a good truck. I'm continually surprised it remains as popular as it does, and the resale value is perplexing.

From an engineering perspective, the Tacoma is as bad as the mid-90's domestic trucks. The frame isn't fully boxed, and Toyota still hasn't figured out rust proofing. The Tacoma also remains one of the few vehicles with drum brakes -- disgusting.

If you're over 5'7" you can't get a Tacoma with a moonroof and sit comfortably upright. There is not enough head room.

There is no option for ventilated seats.

Cabin space seems like it's much less in the Tacoma.

Storage space is absolutely way less in the Tacoma.

Fuel economy in the Tacoma is disapppointing. No BEV/PHEV or even plain-jain Hybrid option, even. Come on Toyota, wtf? You were the leader in hybrid tech for two decades and you still haven't put it in a truck? For shame.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
Not even remotely competitors, imo.

The Tacoma is an enigma, in my book. On paper, it's not a good truck. I'm continually surprised it remains as popular as it does, and the resale value is perplexing.

From an engineering perspective, the Tacoma is as bad as the mid-90's domestic trucks. The frame isn't fully boxed, and Toyota still hasn't figured out rust proofing. The Tacoma also remains one of the few vehicles with drum brakes -- disgusting.

If you're over 5'7" you can't get a Tacoma with a moonroof and sit comfortably upright. There is not enough head room.

There is no option for ventilated seats.

Cabin space seems like it's much less in the Tacoma.

Storage space is absolutely way less in the Tacoma.

Fuel economy in the Tacoma is disapppointing. No BEV/PHEV or even plain-jain Hybrid option, even. Come on Toyota, wtf? You were the leader in hybrid tech for two decades and you still haven't put it in a truck? For shame.

I am with you on this one, I love the Tacoma until I really look at it and then sit in it.

6'3" is a no go in that vehicle.

I like how it looks, I like its size but while theoretically very reliable, the tech and engineering is dated.

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of mounting the bikes in the bed with the tailgate down. If you watch the latest video Rivian posted about the Guides, you can clearly see an R1T with 4 bikes in the bed. It is right at the beginning of the video from the 00:03-00:05 mark.

1616069880773.png
Based on the handlebar angles these are MTB's slung over the tailgate.; they're not mounted in the bed. This is not a desirable way to carry road bikes nor does it allow you to drop the tailgate without removing the bikes.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I think the resale value is what makes it popular, and the popularity inflates the resale value. Sorta circular momentum, with a bit of extra propulsion from a perception of quality.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
perception of quality.
Quality better be high if they don't update the tech. I mean, if you can't perfect something in 20 years, then there's a problem.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Tacoma's are wildly reliable (except for frame rust, which I agree is a crazy problem to have).

Several have gone a million miles with minimal maintenance.

I'm just a nerd, but I'm also obsessed with the Toyota Production System. They literally wrote the book on modern manufacturing.

Also, I'm 6'4" and perfectly comfortable in my Tacoma.

I don't mind the lack of creature comforts like ventilated seats.

I agree Toyota needs to get into electrification, but I love my Tacoma

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I need to edit my gripes after today’s announcement. They answered two of my biggest issues. So my gripe is where was that news yesterday ?

X2
Rivian R1T R1S Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided" 1616117860300

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I need to edit my gripes after today’s announcement. They answered two of my biggest issues. So my gripe is where was that news yesterday ?
When I saw the email come thru, my first reaction was “Rivian’s a day late announcing the Co State Park deal”. Then I opened it and saw the map, and was like...

Rivian R1T R1S Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided" 1616123415298

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
Left one in Small and the right one in Large, please. Are the ones in Launch Green still available?
For the left one I am not sure if I should get it in Medium for current wife, or "Super Busty" for second wife as this truck has me on the precipice of divorce...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

For the left one I am not sure if I should get it in Medium for current wife, or "Super Busty" for second wife as this truck has me on the precipice of divorce...
If your current wife knows your screen name, I'd go with "Super Busty" and get ready to take your lumps.?
Sponsored