Sponsored

Collaboration with Illinois Based Weathertech?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Anyone else here hoping Rivian also works with weather tech to let them scan their vehicles since they are relatively close to get us some Digital Fit Matts? It is been installed on every car I have owned in the past 12 years because they just work so well. Remove them, rinse, dry and install them back in.

Rivian R1T R1S Collaboration with Illinois Based Weathertech? 1616692696511
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
WeatherTech doesn't need cooperation from Rivian. Most aftermarket accessory manufacturers simply ask the community of owners to borrow one of their vehicles for a day. They will then take their measurements and return the vehicle to the owner. Usually they'll provide a free set of accessories, once produced, as compensation.

Personally, I'm concerned how well the Chiliwich floor mats will hold up. Time will tell. I've purchased WeatherTech floor mats, in the past, and my initial satisfaction is high, but after 6-12 months I always end up disappointed. The sides of the mats always start to curl and "bacon" if that can be used as a verb. I have started to prefer the OEM all weather mats (did so with Acura, Mercedes, and Volvo) and even after several years the OEM mats look brand new.

I wish WeatherTech could fix their sidewall problem. Maybe mould over a steel wire at the lip, to help retain shape? Or include an aluminum plate in key areas? Not sure how to solve it... But it's annoying.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
WeatherTech doesn't need cooperation from Rivian. Most aftermarket accessory manufacturers simply ask the community of owners to borrow one of their vehicles for a day. They will then take their measurements and return the vehicle to the owner. Usually they'll provide a free set of accessories, once produced, as compensation.

Personally, I'm concerned how well the Chiliwich floor mats will hold up. Time will tell. I've purchased WeatherTech floor mats, in the past, and my initial satisfaction is high, but after 6-12 months I always end up disappointed. The sides of the mats always start to curl and "bacon" if that can be used as a verb. I have started to prefer the OEM all weather mats (did so with Acura, Mercedes, and Volvo) and even after several years the OEM mats look brand new.

I wish WeatherTech could fix their sidewall problem. Maybe mould over a steel wire at the lip, to help retain shape? Or include an aluminum plate in key areas? Not sure how to solve it... But it's annoying.
I hear you on WeatherTech. On my Niro EV, I went with https://www.tuxmat.com/ So far, very pleased.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've purchased WeatherTech floor mats, in the past, and my initial satisfaction is high, but after 6-12 months I always end up disappointed. The sides of the mats always start to curl and "bacon" if that can be used as a verb.
Amen, same problem here with multiple sets of WeatherTech!

I've had a set of Husky X-act mats in my truck for about 5 years now & they are awesome! Thicker, heavier, & more rubber-like than the WT, and they've held up perfectly.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Amen, same problem here with multiple sets of WeatherTech!

I've had a set of Husky X-act mats in my truck for about 5 years now & they are awesome! Thicker, heavier, & more rubber-like than the WT, and they've held up perfectly.
I take it by their name that the Husky X-act mats are perfectly fitted, like the WTs are? The WTs that I have in my sedans are fine, but they aren't very substantial and not at all rubbery. More of a slick plastic. OK for around town, but they wouldn't take the beating of mud, sand, and gravel.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I take it by their name that the Husky X-act mats are perfectly fitted, like the WTs are?
Correct. Same concept but executed much better & even stay in place better. I had issues with the WT clips as well...

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Ah good to know about all these other options, I have been a die hard WT fan over the years and have seen what everyone describes. Most of the time they send me a completely new set or tell me instructions or send parts on how to solve the issue but it would be nice not to deal with them from the start.

Either way with them being not too far from each other maybe a Customer could go up and have them scan or if Rivian gave them the car for the day to also scan. The problem with the other companies are you do in fact most likely have to wait a long time Id imagine compared to someone local.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ah good to know about all these other options, I have been a die hard WT fan over the years and have seen what everyone describes. Most of the time they send me a completely new set or tell me instructions or send parts on how to solve the issue but it would be nice not to deal with them from the start.

Either way with them being not too far from each other maybe a Customer could go up and have them scan or if Rivian gave them the car for the day to also scan. The problem with the other companies are you do in fact most likely have to wait a long time Id imagine compared to someone local.
I just got off of the phone with Husky (in Winfield, Kansas) and they put me in touch with their Illinois Sales Rep. Left a message and hope to hear back soon. Would love to put these companies together to allow us to order the X-act mats and have them soon after taking delivery. Alternatively, I'll offer to swing down there on my way home from the factory pickup event in early June (and people thought I wouldn't get that dream in here again) and let them measure the R1T.

Thanks to all for the enlightenment about fitted floormats beyond WT!

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I've been using Weathertech for years as well, and I like being able to pull them out and hose them down. It makes throwing muddy hiking gear, mountain bikes, babies, small animals, or whatever in the back of my SUV a complete non-issue, since I know I can clean them up.

I'm really curious to see the Chilewich floor mats...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alternatively, I'll offer to swing down there on my way home from the factory pickup event in early June (and people thought I wouldn't get that dream in here again) and let them measure the R1T.
When did you preorder? I hope there is a factory pick up option!

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

When did you preorder? I hope there is a factory pick up option!
Feb. 19, 2019, the day I first heard about Rivian. My best estimate, based on a few people just ahead and behind me, is that this equates to around number 7,600 in line. With the two models and three battery packs, I'm throwing a SWAG out there of about 1,800th in line for the LE R1T. Does that sound about right?

I'm praying for a factory pickup/tour option. My last two purchases included one-way flights and long, circuitous road trips with Tom Petty, Keith & Mick, John Prine and others keeping me company the whole way home (ahem...courtesy of XM/Sirius, if you're listening, Rivian). One trip from Cincinnati in '16 and again from Denver in '17. Having the R1T delivered is "nice", but not at all what I'm hoping for. I want to meet the family, see where it was born, all that good stuff. Plus, lots of family and friends to catch up with along the way. I can't wait to hear them say "Oooh! So that's the Launch Green you kept droning on and on about. You're right! it is beautiful!"

You must have jumped in very early for an R1S, correct?

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Will be getting some WT mats as soon as available for sure!

Rivians and WeatherTech = probably the only two good things that come out of Illinois.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

I ordered WeatherTech for my Volvo XC60. The fit was not as good as the Volvo all weather ones around the gas pedal.
Also WeatherTech's did not fit in the back because apparently Volvo changed a notch in my model year and WeatherTech had not updated for it even though they claimed they would fit.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You must have jumped in very early for an R1S, correct?
December 2018, originally R1T but switched to R1S. I have a feeling we'll be getting our Rivians around the same time, but I genuinely hope you're early June!
Sponsored