Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

It was pretty cold here in Maine last night. We hit -19ºf at my house, and my R1T was plugged in outside. This morning, I decided to take it for a spin and see how it held up.

Stats:
  • Temperature was between -8ºf and -11ºf during my test run
  • Route was 27 miles, mostly flat, an combination of country roads and interstate
  • I preconditioned the cabin while plugged in before leaving. Started preconditioning 30 minutes before leaving to give things a chance to warm up.
Observations:
  • Starting battery level: 85%, ending level: 68%
  • Average consumption: 1.26mi/kWh
  • Cabin heater was unable to keep up with the cold. Cabin temp fluctuated from 55-60º (heat was set at 70º)
  • All proximity sensors failed and wouldn’t show up on screen (marked as unavailable)
  • Suspension showed an error and wouldn’t raise/lower, also wasn’t as smooth as usual over bumps
  • Power usage got better and better with time. My first few miles were sub-1mi/kWh.
If I needed to drive distance in sub-0º temps, I’d probably take an ICE vehicle. As long as the failed sensors/suspension start working again when it warms up (and I expect they will), then I’m perfectly happy with how the R1T did!

Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) AD792B13-AC9F-4FE0-A8BC-2644FF6F6575
Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) 96EA99E3-4B64-45E7-AA28-52FE4CD51673
Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) 6C3C02BB-B538-490A-832C-704EAE259D7B
Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) 8B9BD75B-E1E8-45B9-88E9-66B91DB57BEE
Sponsored

Last edited:

jblachance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Canyon R1T is on the way 11/21
Occupation
Business Owner
I live in Maine also... same temps. Unfortunately, mine came up with every error code possible.
Towing it to the service center in Boston on Monday!

Rivian service technicians on the phone were first class!!!
Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) IMG_3751.JPG

Looking forward to getting my truck back in working order soon!!!

Rivian603

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Colorado, Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Software
Clubs

I had those exact same errors OP, but from a week ago in northern NH when it wasn't nearly as cold. They ended up replacing my air compressor because the air suspension never came back online.

The rest seemed to be software related, my sensors are back to normal or so they say. I'm picking up on Monday.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I had those exact same errors OP, but from a week ago in northern NH when it wasn't nearly as cold. They ended up replacing my air compressor because the air suspension never came back online.
You’ve got me nervous… I think I’m going to shuffle some cars this afternoon and get the Rivian into the garage and get the heat going to see if I can thaw it out and get it working…

Rivian603

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Clubs

You’ve got me nervous… I think I’m going to shuffle some cars this afternoon and get the Rivian into the garage and get the heat going to see if I can thaw it out and get it working…
Hope yours comes back online! I don't have a garage, so maybe the fix is simply to get it warmed up.

Sponsored

Ryan1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 Subaru Impreza
Clubs

About the same experience (down to the degrees) here in NH, I'm hopeful once it warms up it'll come back together, possibly with a hard reboot. Next time it's looking like an arctic spell I think I'll cancel kneel mode on that last drive beforehand...

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Sounds like similar experiences that CO owners had during a couple super cold stretches here recently. I’m not aware of any of those effects continuing after it warmed up.

Stay warm up there!🥶

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Same issues here with temperature at-11 on late December. I keep it plugged overnight and I have no problem with during the day. I have to mention that one day I have 0.8 miles/KWh efficiency for first hour or so…

Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) A3879E9E-9C66-4F32-8ED1-FC51C89F2DFA

Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) 099B8ECC-5F47-4955-AA27-F160C071EAA9

Rivian R1T R1S Extreme Cold Weather Results (up to -11ºf) 61534E6D-19F0-4806-83ED-BB86DA128619

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Follow up: it’s up to 8° outside now, so I got back in the truck, suspension height adjustments were working, but the sensor errors were still there. Did a hard reset, and now I’m all good, no errors or warnings.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Next time it's looking like an arctic spell I think I'll cancel kneel mode on that last drive beforehand...
It's not a bad idea in extreme cold, sub -10F. I've been driving mine in extreme cold all winter and just like an ICE vehicle, it needs some time to loosen up in the morning. In really extreme cold, think it's just common sense to be mindful of any moving parts. The cold will be brief and in bitter temps "things" are more prone to break on ALL vehicles. I do the same on my 3/4 ton.

OP's efficiency numbers aren't that bad for as cold as it was. I've never had a problem with heater keeping up with cold, even at -20F.

Sponsored

Rivian603

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Follow up: it’s up to 8° outside now, so I got back in the truck, suspension height adjustments were working, but the sensor errors were still there. Did a hard reset, and now I’m all good, no errors or warnings.
That's great to hear!

Rivian asked me to come in for a repair after seeing my diagnostics. They must've seen the compressor failure when I made the ticket.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Did a 1 hour 40 minute each way drive yesterday, starting out in the morning. -18 when I got up, -11 or so when I left the house.

100% charge, left a 45 degree heated garage.

Used 27% on the way there, then it sat outside until 3:00pm or so getting cold. Used about 30% on the way back (with elevation gain).

No codes, no issues. Could hear the compressor running more than usual, but that's been my experience in the cold.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Did a 1 hour 40 minute each way drive yesterday, starting out in the morning. -18 when I got up, -11 or so when I left the house.

100% charge, left a 45 degree heated garage.

Used 27% on the way there, then it sat outside until 3:00pm or so getting cold. Used about 30% on the way back (with elevation gain).

No codes, no issues. Could hear the compressor running more than usual, but that's been my experience in the cold.
it seems like the big difference-maker here is the heated garage— all the systems work better starting from a warmer place!

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
I’m not sure why your cabin heater was only set to 70. Even in my brand new ice cars I have it at 75-78 in these common temps in Minnesota. Not sure what 70 would even do.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I’m not sure why your cabin heater was only set to 70. Even in my brand new ice cars I have it at 75-78 in these common temps in Minnesota. Not sure what 70 would even do.
70 should have it blowing at full heat— the problem was that the heater isn’t able to get the air up to temp when the input air is so cold— even when I turned on the defroster (which sets the heat to high) the air coming out of the vents was 60 at most
Sponsored