First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Move over Cybertruck, our R1S just unlocked fart mode. Admittedly, this is a video my wife just sent me while I'm at work. She said it has made this noise that sounda like a large amount of water or air is flowing while her R1S is going into kneel mode. I've never heard any noises like this and neither has she. Although it was raining in the video, I'm pretty sure she opened the window to hear it better. Also, it did not make any strange noises when it raised back to All Purpose mode when driving.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That sound is just more of the nature sounds included with every Rivian purchase.. like water in your doors or the “dying cow” sound of a gear tunnel door.

Also, you need to immediately hold a family meeting about phone video orientation;)

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
That sound is just more of the nature sounds included with every Rivian purchase.. like water in your doors or the “dying cow” sound of a gear tunnel door.

Also, you need to immediately hold a family meeting about phone video orientation;)
I have almost no control of this when I'm actually at home and that goes to zero when I go to work.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
sales
I remember seeing a video of a similar thing last summer and I think the resolution was to reattach an air hose that had come off. I can't remember if that required a trip to a service center or they were able to do it themselves

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I remember seeing a video of a similar thing last summer and I think the resolution was to reattach an air hose that had come off. I can't remember if that required a trip to a service center or they were able to do it themselves
Thanks... ill crawl under there tomorrow and see what I can see.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe buy your wife a phone and not a potato? ;)
That stellar video was taken with an IPhone 14 pro max... If Apple and Android could play nice when sending videos over text, it might have been barely better. Besides, the video was about fart "sounds" not visual solar flares.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Sounds like an air leak. Contact service. You can hear some air sound normally but that was loud.

I can relate to the comment about not having any control when your at home 😂

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Update:

Put in a service request yesterday and uploaded a better video. Set up an appointment with Eastvale, which said April was the soonest. Customer service said they would begin the escalation process and get it in sooner. When my wife got home from work a few hours later, it now has error lights on the dash.
- no longer will raise or lower
- no compressor noises heard
- proximity sensors are not working
- accident avoidance not working (automatic braking)
- automatic lane centering and warning not working.

Vehicle is still level and drives normal otherwise. She will drive one of our cars until this gets resolved.

Rivian R1T R1S **Updated**  R1S- Fart Mode Unlocked - Suspension Failure 20240207_181239

Rivian R1T R1S **Updated**  R1S- Fart Mode Unlocked - Suspension Failure 20240207_181157

Sponsored

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Update:
Still no word on service appointment. Neighbor had a remote tech access my DTC codes. Without actually looking at the vehicle in person, it appears the compressor is bad. Which could have been caused by a leak in the suspension system. Since my car isn't at full drop over night, the leak doesn't appear to be in the air shock,but could be in the pressure distribution block. Because of the leak, compressor might have been running too often or not shutting off at all. Neighbor thinks they have an upgraded compressor available that is newer than mine.

Right now left rear shock is showing 30mm lower than the rest. Also, the system is showing 1.7bar of pressure, which is lower than normal for the system.

Rivian R1T R1S **Updated**  R1S- Fart Mode Unlocked - Suspension Failure 20240210_111129

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Another Update:
Wife needed to go to the office and since she was running late, she would take her chances with the Rivian, since it has the carpool lane stickers. That ended up being a bust, since the R1S wouldn't go into drive and now shows a drive motor failure error light. Also flashed a warning that driving is disabled and vehicle needs to be towed. I took a few photos of the errors to upload to the service ticket and then contacted Rivian.

Rivian customer service was once again pleasant to speak to (1 min on hold) and they immediately started to work on my service appointment. Since it no longer drives, it bumped it up on the priority line and it tow will have it picked up in a couple hours. They also arranged for rental, which I'll have dropped off in the morning.

To be continued:

Rivian R1T R1S **Updated**  R1S- Fart Mode Unlocked - Suspension Failure 20240212_071237

Rivian R1T R1S **Updated**  R1S- Fart Mode Unlocked - Suspension Failure 20240212_071252

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Another Update 😡 :

While waiting for tow, I decided to empty all the stuffed animals and other trinkets my kids throw into the back of the R1S. I decided to take a look at my shiny new spare tire that got installed about 2 weeks ago, before our last big rains. Low and behold, 4" of standing water in the spare tire tub. Which means their is probably standing water under the tub where all the intricate wiring is located. This explains a lot and nothing at the same time. Although, my guess is we have some leaky hatch door problems to fix, before they can sort out all of the drive issues.

Rivian R1T R1S **Updated**  R1S- Fart Mode Unlocked - Suspension Failure 20240213_070330

Rivian R1T R1S **Updated**  R1S- Fart Mode Unlocked - Suspension Failure Screenshot_20240213_073735_Rivian

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If Apple and Android
Entirely an Apple problem. They intentionally degrade videos as much as possible when they have to send it over MMS instead of iMessage. Apple has said they are going to implement RCS, which would mean they don't have to reprocess the video at all, but they have yet to do it.

Low and behold, 4" of standing water in the spare tire tub.
It did sort of sound like air bubbling into water now that I see this. I'm sure Rivian can fix your issue.

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It did sort of sound like air bubbling into water now that I see this. I'm sure Rivian can fix your issue.
Good catch... I didn't even think of that. My wife complained of bubbling/flowing water sound, which didn't click for me. I guess in my head, suspension is outside the vehicle, so the water sound didn't make sense. Now we know the compressor was litterally drowning.
Sponsored