Rivian R1S questions.

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Murano(trading), 2024 Acura MDX Type-S
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum, and to EVs! I’ve seen lots of Rivians, as well as test driven them, and compared it to Model X, and Mercedes GLE450e(PHEV). However, I have questions. First off, would you recommend me to get an EV? Second, how is reliability? I plan to keep this for at least 7 years, and I commute 70 miles x 5 days a week. How’s the range when driving about 80-90mph? How’s the wind noise compared to say a Mercedes, does it have dual pane glass? Would you recommend Dual Motor or Performance Dual Motor? I am so torn on whether I want a PHEV or an EV. Mercedes and Rivian are my top choices. Please help me out here. This is the one I plan to get, https://rivian.com/configurations/checkout
It’s the white one for $92,350.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_0315

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_0316

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_0317
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Reliabilty is probably all over the place. It's hard to tell because many people don't post about how reliable it is, just the issues they have. I will say, we are pretty much still beta testers with Rivian's, so you need to be prepared for that.

Regarding an EV...do you consider yourself a bit of a techy? Are you able to do a bit or work/research? If you're roundtripping, it takes some work...although with the Tesla network that's mostly going away.

Going 90 is going to hurt your efficiency, that's for sure. I know speeds like that are more common in your area, but just be prepared to not get your max range at that speed. If you're just doing the 70miles each day, and have a lvl 2 charger at home, it isn't an issue at all.

Regarding the DM vs Performance...it's hard to say. I have a quad and I almost never floor it. It's insanely fast, but I'm not going stop light racing, but it's REALLY nice to know its there. I did talk my FIL into a DM and not the performance DM. Also, I have to think some day soon, that becomes a software upgrade, and you might be able to buy the extra power if needed.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

Hi Brad. I just saw a 2024 quad R1S with 200 miles sold on CarsandBids for about 78k. That is crazy. Check it out. I have a R1S quad. Rivian gave me a Mercedes EQS SUV as a loaner. I didn't like it and it was ugly. Tesla will give you better e mileage. Tesla is also smother. My wife has a MYP.

The quad has a crazy amount of power which is not needed. The R1S is very tall and has a lot of movement in town on uneven surfaces. Drive them. I like the looks of the R1S. The R1S feels like a big car but is very nice on the road.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Occupation
Fake Science Lead
Clubs

Hi Brad. I just saw a 2024 quad R1S with 200 miles sold on CarsandBids for about 78k. That is crazy. Check it out. I have a R1S quad. Rivian gave me a Mercedes EQS SUV as a loaner. I didn't like it and it was ugly. Tesla will give you better e mileage. Tesla is also smother. My wife has a MYP.

The quad has a crazy amount of power which is not needed. The R1S is very tall and has a lot of movement in town on uneven surfaces. Drive them. I like the looks of the R1S. The R1S feels like a big car but is very nice on the road.
Think I had that same loaner, it seemed like it was from and EV hellscape/alternate universe, it really made me love/appreciate the R1S…maby intentional on Rivians part…don’t know…

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Try going from an R1S to a Dodge Durango.

I was dying to get back into my Rivian. It felt like I was driving a model T.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

90 mph commuting? Yikes. I don’t know of any roads I take where I could safely maintain that speed during rush hour traffic.

Whether an EV is for you, or in this case a Rivian, depends on your tolerance and availability of recharging infrastructure and your tolerance for inconvenience should something go wrong.

As for dual pane glass, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of any vehicles that have that. Weight, cost, and engineering to accommodate don’t line up with most use cases.

OP
OP
bmwlad24

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
90 mph commuting? Yikes. I don’t know of any roads I take where I could safely maintain that speed during rush hour traffic.

Whether an EV is for you, or in this case a Rivian, depends on your tolerance and availability of recharging infrastructure and your tolerance for inconvenience should something go wrong.

As for dual pane glass, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of any vehicles that have that. Weight, cost, and engineering to accommodate don’t line up with most use cases.
In dual pane glass, I mean laminated side glasses, basically two piece glass instead of one. I am flexible with charging as I don’t do many roadtrips…the farthest I’d go is to Florida or Tennessee, 4-8 hours range. I normally fly and rent. I will install a level 2 charger. The average speed I normally do on a commute is 80-85, sometimes 90 if flow of traffic is great, or empty. And sometimes, Atlanta traffic is so bad….We have speed limits of 70 and 75.

OP
OP
bmwlad24

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Try going from an R1S to a Dodge Durango.

I was dying to get back into my Rivian. It felt like I was driving a model T.
I currently have a 2012 Nissan Murano being used as a commuter, it should be a humongous upgrade.

OP
OP
bmwlad24

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reliabilty is probably all over the place. It's hard to tell because many people don't post about how reliable it is, just the issues they have. I will say, we are pretty much still beta testers with Rivian's, so you need to be prepared for that.

Regarding an EV...do you consider yourself a bit of a techy? Are you able to do a bit or work/research? If you're roundtripping, it takes some work...although with the Tesla network that's mostly going away.

Going 90 is going to hurt your efficiency, that's for sure. I know speeds like that are more common in your area, but just be prepared to not get your max range at that speed. If you're just doing the 70miles each day, and have a lvl 2 charger at home, it isn't an issue at all.

Regarding the DM vs Performance...it's hard to say. I have a quad and I almost never floor it. It's insanely fast, but I'm not going stop light racing, but it's REALLY nice to know its there. I did talk my FIL into a DM and not the performance DM. Also, I have to think some day soon, that becomes a software upgrade, and you might be able to buy the extra power if needed.
I consider myself pretty techy, but not very. I have my nephew, which is a car enthusiast and makes car reviews, so he’ll help me haha. I just hope mine will be good with the build, I can deal with bugs here and there…but yes, I understand that we are beta testers. What are your thoughts on PHEV?

I will have a Lvl2 charger. Regardless if I get the Rivian or Merc PHEV. I just absolutely love the attention to detail in the Rivian, and the outside design…reminds me of Range Rover. And the unique little stuff like the flashlight and speaker is cool!!

I am sure the DM is more than enough for me. My Murano does 7 secs to 60, 4.5 secs is great, plus I’m not flooring it. I’ll have the instant torque when I need it!

I am prepared to not get that advertised range lol, going less than 80 is quite uncommon around this area unless for traffic, or a non capable vehicle. I am not a super speeder though, so don’t think that! However on roadtrips, I will do 75MPH to maximize the efficiency. Do I charge to 100% often, or just for road trips?

Thanks a lot for the feedback! What are your thoughts on my build? Is that a decent price? Good spec?

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I think you are a prime-candidate for PHEV, to see if the whole EV thing makes sense. $90K is a lot to drop if you are, as iffy as you sound. Otherwise, I would pick up a 2023 R1S in the $78K range, especially if in GA you don't pay taxes on a private party sale......YMMV

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Sounds like you are better spending money on more range than the performance option.
The Rivian will be different than most Legacy brands in that the build quality is not nearly as good. Be prepared for squeaks and rattles. Otherwise I think you'll love the car. At 80mph+ be prepared for about 2mi/kwh efficiency on a dual motor with street tires. Drive 70mph and get about 2.25-2.5. It's solid at any speed, in the corners and off road.

alacritousOmega

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad Motor
Not biased at all …. but I’d 100% go with R1S Quad. Great vehicle overall.

BUT, to manage expectations…
- Expect hit or miss reliability (obv brand new company and we are Beta Testers), - - Expect some wind noise (especially with roof racks)
- Expect very accurate range estimates (good!!)

OP
OP
bmwlad24

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not biased at all …. but I’d 100% go with R1S Quad. Great vehicle overall.

BUT, to manage expectations…
- Expect hit or miss reliability (obv brand new company and we are Beta Testers), - - Expect some wind noise (especially with roof racks)
- Expect very accurate range estimates (good!!)
Sounds good. I thought about it just now for about two hours straight, I’m going to go with the Rivian, I booked yet another demo drive for tomorrow. I’d love the quad…but the only ones I see have 22s. I’d want the more efficient option since it will be my first EV, and I’d rather the All-Terrains, plus the DM with all terrain is closer to my budget of 90k vs the quad at about 97. Maybe in the future, quad ;).
Sponsored