First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
Wife, lab pup and I drove from St. George UT in our Silver R1T with 14K miles (Stargazer) into the Las Vegas service center on Feb 22nd and pickup up our 2024 R1S Max pack standard dual (Silver, Black Mtn, 21” AS we named Luna Rover - Luna is the pup’s name). We traded because with the dog, the SUV was just more practical and living in and exploring southern UT, we wanted the most range we could get given the limited fast charging in the state. I know people will say the extra miles isn’t worth the cost, it is when we can save charging stops and range anxiety when we are hiking/camping in the middle of Utah’s deserts.

The process couldn’t have gone more smoothly and quickly. Antonio was our delivery advisor and made everything easy and even played with our dog while we moved gear from the truck to the car. The car was fully charged as we had asked as were were continuing our drive heading to Palm springs for my birthday weekend. The only thing I wished we had Antonio do was setup gear guard for us - foreshadowning ;-)

Overall impressions

- Car was in great shape - no fit and finnish issues to be found.

- the 21” wheels are so much quieter than the 20” Pirelli AT’s with 14K

- the wind noise was better than our truck despite having the truck door seals and triangle mirror molding replaced twice to deal with wind noise issues.

- the ride was really comfortable both on smooth and moderate - I had read that the truck had a better ride but that wasn’t our experience.

- it sure is more manueverable than the truck. Amazing how much difference a foot in lenght makes.

The only real issue we were having was the efficiency didn’t seem to be any better than our truck despite having the all season tires (vs the AT’s) and dual motors vs quad.

I started keeping a close eye on the detailed vehicle info screen showing the trip efficiency, motor power, and motor temps. Interestingly no matter the speed, the acceleration/deceleration, incline/decline both motors were working 100% of the time and the motor temps were within a few degrees of eachother the entire time.

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_2875

When we returned home we made a service appointment and fortunately they fit us in the next day.

They said their diagnostics showed that the disconnect was working fine but the screen graphics just weren’t updating until they switched drive modes. Not sure I buy the explanation given that both the wheel torque graphic and the motor temp graphic were updating dynamically as we drove. Anyway we got the car back and it works they way it should and efficiency has improved.

The drive to Palm springs was beautiful and uneventful. The next morning we drove to a trailhead outside of Palm Springs (White water preserve) and had a beautiful hike up to the PCT intersection. When we returned to our car we discovered that despite there being lots of empty parking spots, someone had tried to park next to us and clipped the ”$40K“ rear quarter panel. Here is where not having taken the time to setup gear guard cost us as we had no footage of the accident.

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_2894

So while the car @ Las Vegas service center on Tuesday having the motor disconnect issue dealt with, the owner of Dent Guys Las Vegas comes and takes a look to see if PDR (paintless dent removal) will work instead of doing the extremely expensive (the rumored $40K fix on Youtube) traditional body shop repair.

Soooo. Another trip to Las Vegas on Thursday to have it fixed by the Dent Guys. As I am exiting i15, a rock comes out of nowhere and leaves a quarter sized starburst in my windshield glass leaving me feeling a bit cursed.

Fortunately the PDR fix turned out extremely well. I can’t tell there was a hand sized dent in the car!

I have an appointment with Safelite to see if they can seal the crack so it doesn’t grow. I’d replace it now but we are driving across the country in June so will try to wait in case another rock find us.

Overall I (and even more importantly my wife and dog) love the car. We picked it up just after Rivian announced the bad results which made me hesitate for a second. I now have no regrets.

It is more comfortable, quiet, and roomy than the truck was. The extra range (even if it isn’t 400 on the highways) is really handy. The only thing I miss is the acceleration of the quad when passing.
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I don't even know what to say! Wow! Oh my! Congratulations! Patience is virtue! You guys have a great attitude, and I definitely want to see the work of the ding doctor!

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Not sure how it might work with dual, but I ran some tests on the 20” ATs (QM) this morning and was pretty surprised how range goes right off a cliff between 60, 66, and 73 mph:
60 mph - 2.2 MPK, 100% range = 282 miles (320 conserve)
66 mph - 2.1 MPK, 100% r = 269 miles (307 conserve)
73 mph - 1.8 MPK, 100% r = 230 miles (269 conserve)

Also noticed setting speed to 67 mph my actual speed was 65 (confirmed via phone and trip computer).

You may have figured out a lot of this already, sadly it sounds like speed limit or a little less is way to go…

ggsmith

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Acura RDX, Rivian R1S(almost)
Occupation
semi-retired
We have the same vehicle (color and all) picked up Dec 6. We made a drive from Nashville TN to Palm Springs in January. Had a freak incident where something hit the little triangular window beside the right side mirror while in Arkansas. A little duct tape and we were ready to go. Made it there and back without further problems. Managed the charging better on the return trip.
We then made an overnight trip to Louisville KY and parked in the hotel parking lot. I had backed into the spot and when I returned in the morning found that someone had hit the front end. Insurance appraiser is to call me soon.
Otherwise we are also quite happy with the vehicle.
I was also fortunate to meet up with some other Rivian owners while waiting to charge in Palm Springs (Indio actually). Thanks to Lee for the tips on helpful apps.

OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I don't even know what to say! Wow! Oh my! Congratulations! Patience is virtue! You guys have a great attitude, and I definitely want to see the work of the ding doctor!
Here is the after pic of the dent fix.
Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_2918

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Not sure how it might work with dual, but I ran some tests on the 20” ATs (QM) this morning and was pretty surprised how range goes right off a cliff between 60, 66, and 73 mph:
60 mph - 2.2 MPK, 100% range = 282 miles (320 conserve)
66 mph - 2.1 MPK, 100% r = 269 miles (307 conserve)
73 mph - 1.8 MPK, 100% r = 230 miles (269 conserve)

Also noticed setting speed to 67 mph my actual speed was 65 (confirmed via phone and trip computer).

You may have figured out a lot of this already, sadly it sounds like speed limit or a little less is way to go…
Agreed. Yesterday on the way back from Vegas doing the listed speed limit 75 and a very strong cross wind (some tail) got barely 2.1 though there is 1200 feet of net elevation gain as well.

OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
We have the same vehicle (color and all) picked up Dec 6. We made a drive from Nashville TN to Palm Springs in January. Had a freak incident where something hit the little triangular window beside the right side mirror while in Arkansas. A little duct tape and we were ready to go. Made it there and back without further problems. Managed the charging better on the return trip.
We then made an overnight trip to Louisville KY and parked in the hotel parking lot. I had backed into the spot and when I returned in the morning found that someone had hit the front end. Insurance appraiser is to call me soon.
Otherwise we are also quite happy with the vehicle.
I was also fortunate to meet up with some other Rivian owners while waiting to charge in Palm Springs (Indio actually). Thanks to Lee for the tips on helpful apps.
Sorry you had similar luck as we did.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Here is the after pic of the dent fix.
IMG_2918.jpeg
Everyone needs two Ding Doctors (PDR) in their Rolodex ;). These people are legitimately gifted....

Sponsored

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wife, lab pup and I drove from St. George UT in our Silver R1T with 14K miles (Stargazer) into the Las Vegas service center on Feb 22nd and pickup up our 2024 R1S Max pack standard dual (Silver, Black Mtn, 21” AS we named Luna Rover - Luna is the pup’s name). We traded because with the dog, the SUV was just more practical and living in and exploring southern UT, we wanted the most range we could get given the limited fast charging in the state. I know people will say the extra miles isn’t worth the cost, it is when we can save charging stops and range anxiety when we are hiking/camping in the middle of Utah’s deserts.

The process couldn’t have gone more smoothly and quickly. Antonio was our delivery advisor and made everything easy and even played with our dog while we moved gear from the truck to the car. The car was fully charged as we had asked as were were continuing our drive heading to Palm springs for my birthday weekend. The only thing I wished we had Antonio do was setup gear guard for us - foreshadowning ;-)

Overall impressions

- Car was in great shape - no fit and finnish issues to be found.

- the 21” wheels are so much quieter than the 20” Pirelli AT’s with 14K

- the wind noise was better than our truck despite having the truck door seals and triangle mirror molding replaced twice to deal with wind noise issues.

- the ride was really comfortable both on smooth and moderate - I had read that the truck had a better ride but that wasn’t our experience.

- it sure is more manueverable than the truck. Amazing how much difference a foot in lenght makes.

The only real issue we were having was the efficiency didn’t seem to be any better than our truck despite having the all season tires (vs the AT’s) and dual motors vs quad.

I started keeping a close eye on the detailed vehicle info screen showing the trip efficiency, motor power, and motor temps. Interestingly no matter the speed, the acceleration/deceleration, incline/decline both motors were working 100% of the time and the motor temps were within a few degrees of eachother the entire time.

IMG_2875.jpeg

When we returned home we made a service appointment and fortunately they fit us in the next day.

They said their diagnostics showed that the disconnect was working fine but the screen graphics just weren’t updating until they switched drive modes. Not sure I buy the explanation given that both the wheel torque graphic and the motor temp graphic were updating dynamically as we drove. Anyway we got the car back and it works they way it should and efficiency has improved.

The drive to Palm springs was beautiful and uneventful. The next morning we drove to a trailhead outside of Palm Springs (White water preserve) and had a beautiful hike up to the PCT intersection. When we returned to our car we discovered that despite there being lots of empty parking spots, someone had tried to park next to us and clipped the ”$40K“ rear quarter panel. Here is where not having taken the time to setup gear guard cost us as we had no footage of the accident.

IMG_2894.jpeg

So while the car @ Las Vegas service center on Tuesday having the motor disconnect issue dealt with, the owner of Dent Guys Las Vegas comes and takes a look to see if PDR (paintless dent removal) will work instead of doing the extremely expensive (the rumored $40K fix on Youtube) traditional body shop repair.

Soooo. Another trip to Las Vegas on Thursday to have it fixed by the Dent Guys. As I am exiting i15, a rock comes out of nowhere and leaves a quarter sized starburst in my windshield glass leaving me feeling a bit cursed.

Fortunately the PDR fix turned out extremely well. I can’t tell there was a hand sized dent in the car!

I have an appointment with Safelite to see if they can seal the crack so it doesn’t grow. I’d replace it now but we are driving across the country in June so will try to wait in case another rock find us.

Overall I (and even more importantly my wife and dog) love the car. We picked it up just after Rivian announced the bad results which made me hesitate for a second. I now have no regrets.

It is more comfortable, quiet, and roomy than the truck was. The extra range (even if it isn’t 400 on the highways) is really handy. The only thing I miss is the acceleration of the quad when passing.
OP. You are my stoic hero; attitude, attitude & attitude. Congratulations.
I had heard that 21s are quieter. So I am actually moving to 21s from 20s end of this month. If I love it, I might actually sell my all dark 20s. Let see.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

What did Rivian give you for you R1T on the trade in?

OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
If you don’t mind me asking, what did the repair come out to cost? That is one of my greatest fears having an R1S. Love the vehicle though.
It was 5 1/2 hours of work and cost $900

OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
OP. You are my stoic hero; attitude, attitude & attitude. Congratulations.
I had heard that 21s are quieter. So I am actually moving to 21s from 20s end of this month. If I love it, I might actually sell my all dark 20s. Let see.
Loved my 20” darks when the tires were new but hated them @ 10K+. I got a r1T loaner this week with 20” with a new set pirelli’s AT and they were almost as quiet as the 21” AS so it wasn’t my imagination. I just want/need the max range so went with 21’s this time.
Sponsored