Sponsored

2 Months With R1T DP Max Pack in New England - All Good So Far!

Ironcitijc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T Max Pack, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

I know some people have had a wide range of problems with their new R1T’s, some more critical than others, but I just wanted to offer my thoughts on the R1T after two months of use in New England.

I originally ordered the quad max pack and ultimately decided to wait for the dual motor max pack once Rivian decided not to build the quad max pack. I’m happy with the decision to wait for the max pack after owning a Tesla Model S for 8 years I was well-versed on the impact cold winter weather can have on an EV especially on shorter trips when the battery isn’t preconditioned. It also clearly helped to have pre-March 22 pricing (not sure I would pay $16k for the max pack). I know everyone’s use case is different and I don’t tow regularly. I have a ChargePoint 40A charger at home and I just wanted to be comfortable knowing I could easily travel throughout the region without really having to worry too much about charging since there’s not a ton of charging infrastructure in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine, outside of Tesla superchargers. So far the truck has performed flawlessly and the stock 21’s have been fine on snowy roads around where I live. Fit and finish is good (minor interior drivers side door panel damage noticed at delivery was promptly fixed by mobile tech shortly after delivery) and everything works as it should. I’m averaging about 1.8 - 1.9 mi/kWh on short trips (20 miles or less) and 2.3 mi/kWh on longer trips which is more or less what I expected during winter months. I use All-Purpose mode almost all the time.

Looking forward to the Spring/Summer to see how close I get to 400 miles of real world range based on my driving style. Time will tell but so far I really love driving the R1T!
Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I know some people have had a wide range of problems with their new R1T’s, some more critical than others, but I just wanted to offer my thoughts on the R1T after two months of use in New England.

I originally ordered the quad max pack and ultimately decided to wait for the dual motor max pack once Rivian decided not to build the quad max pack. I’m happy with the decision to wait for the max pack after owning a Tesla Model S for 8 years I was well-versed on the impact cold winter weather can have on an EV especially on shorter trips when the battery isn’t preconditioned. It also clearly helped to have pre-March 22 pricing (not sure I would pay $16k for the max pack). I know everyone’s use case is different and I don’t tow regularly. I have a ChargePoint 40A charger at home and I just wanted to be comfortable knowing I could easily travel throughout the region without really having to worry too much about charging since there’s not a ton of charging infrastructure in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine, outside of Tesla superchargers. So far the truck has performed flawlessly and the stock 21’s have been fine on snowy roads around where I live. Fit and finish is good (minor interior drivers side door panel damage noticed at delivery was promptly fixed by mobile tech shortly after delivery) and everything works as it should. I’m averaging about 1.8 - 1.9 mi/kWh on short trips (20 miles or less) and 2.3 mi/kWh on longer trips which is more or less what I expected during winter months. I use All-Purpose mode almost all the time.

Looking forward to the Spring/Summer to see how close I get to 400 miles of real world range based on my driving style. Time will tell but so far I really love driving the R1T!
I am also on year 8 of my Model S! How would you rate the speed of the Rivian vs. the Tesla?

OP
OP
Ironcitijc

Ironcitijc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T Max Pack, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

I am also on year 8 of my Model S! How would you rate the speed of the Rivian vs. the Tesla?
I had a P85. In all purpose mode acceleration is very similar, but the driving dynamics are different. I prefer the ride and the ride height of the R1T. In sport mode the R1T is quicker.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I had a P85. In all purpose mode acceleration is very similar, but the driving dynamics are different. I prefer the ride and the ride height of the R1T. In sport mode the R1T is quicker.
I had a p85 for two years prior to my current Tesla. The squirrelyness of the RWD just trying to hang onto to traction for dear life was awesome.
Sponsored