Sponsored

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
No, the girl who hit me had the least amount of coverage legally allowable in CA and she hit another car also so it had to go through my insurance. I did not have rental coverage but thankfully had another car available to use.
If her Insurance doesn’t have enough coverage, go after her personally. You can always sue her personally for the lost value you suffered because of her. It was her choice to cheap out on insurance and expose herself to liability. It’s not your problem that she decided to save a few bucks and get the minimum coverage.

People like her need to learn the lesson if they can’t think ahead as to where their actions may lead. She got off the hook easy by having your insurance pay for your damage.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

IMG_9214.jpeg

I was t-boned March 30 and finally got my truck back November 7th! Dealing with insurance, waiting on parts and repairs has been a slow nightmare. The bill was originally $9k to fix, then it went to $24k and finally settled around $50k. This last month it has been done and just sitting at the Rivian service center in San Jose. Very frustrating.

I have gone from wishing it was originally totaled, to being 100% sure I was going to sell it to avoid another scenario like this, to now being behind the wheel again and absolutely loving it. I was avoiding paying the $1100 tags in California but just did that today so it confirms I am holding on to her.
Before the accident the wind noise on the freeway was terrible. I took it in last year for Rivian to look at it and they said there was nothing wrong. Now that I have a new door it is no longer a problem. Another gripe I previously had was bad estimates for range. That must have been taken care of in updates.

And before any of you ask, I cannot file diminished value as I had an injury settlement and did not realize it absolved me of the ability to do a diminished value. That is a hard live and learn moment. All in all just glad to have my truck back
Glad you were ok and now happy with your Rivian.

I’m curious, why so expensive? I understand the parts are hard to get and long waits are required but Rivian parts are that expensive? or the labor cost was a big factor?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If her Insurance doesn’t have enough coverage, go after her personally. You can always sue her personally for the lost value you suffered because of her. It was her choice to cheap out on insurance and expose herself to liability. It’s not your problem that she decided to save a few bucks and get the minimum coverage.

People like her need to learn the lesson if they can’t think ahead as to where their actions may lead. She got off the hook easy by having your insurance pay for your damage.
Only works if they have assets. If not you will not find a lawyer that will waste their time and if they get a judgement against them they just file for bankruptcy.

Lot easier to just make sure you protect yourself with sufficient un/under insured protection on your policy.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Only works if they have assets. If not you will not find a lawyer that will waste their time and if they get a judgement against them they just file for bankruptcy.

Lot easier to just make sure you protect yourself with sufficient un/under insured protection on your policy.
Well, in this case, a settlement was signed that waived any reimbursement for the lost value. So, own insurance bailed out on the reimbursement for lost value.

Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

IMG_9214.jpeg

I was t-boned March 30 and finally got my truck back November 7th! Dealing with insurance, waiting on parts and repairs has been a slow nightmare. The bill was originally $9k to fix, then it went to $24k and finally settled around $50k. This last month it has been done and just sitting at the Rivian service center in San Jose. Very frustrating.

I have gone from wishing it was originally totaled, to being 100% sure I was going to sell it to avoid another scenario like this, to now being behind the wheel again and absolutely loving it. I was avoiding paying the $1100 tags in California but just did that today so it confirms I am holding on to her.
Before the accident the wind noise on the freeway was terrible. I took it in last year for Rivian to look at it and they said there was nothing wrong. Now that I have a new door it is no longer a problem. Another gripe I previously had was bad estimates for range. That must have been taken care of in updates.

And before any of you ask, I cannot file diminished value as I had an injury settlement and did not realize it absolved me of the ability to do a diminished value. That is a hard live and learn moment. All in all just glad to have my truck back
So you missed Halloween mode. The rest of it really sucks too, but man!!!

I am glad it’s all back

Fade5G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Bronco, 23 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Well, in this case, a settlement was signed that waived any reimbursement for the lost value. So, own insurance bailed out on the reimbursement for lost value.
If she has zero assets and her insurance company is only liable to a certain limit, where would the money come from?

Bimmer100

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Audio HiFi Manufacturer
Clubs

Yes the legal minimums are a joke, un/under insured coverage is the most important option on the coverage.
Yes, I agree. I was recently hit in August. And the legal minimum in wa is better than CA but still a complete joke and didn’t even cover my car being lost, let alone the 480K in medical bills.
Shocked people don’t have better insurance.
My insurance covered everything yet I was not at fault of course.

Bimmer100

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Audio HiFi Manufacturer
Clubs

If she has zero assets and her insurance company is only liable to a certain limit, where would the money come from?
I can’t recall, but in Cali it’s one of the worst possible states for insurance, next to maybe New Jersey?

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Payment plan from her salary by court order.

Sponsored

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Yes, I agree. I was recently hit in August. And the legal minimum in wa is better than CA but still a complete joke and didn’t even cover my car being lost, let alone the 480K in medical bills.
Shocked people don’t have better insurance.
My insurance covered everything yet I was not at fault of course.
480k?

Bimmer100

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Audio HiFi Manufacturer
Clubs

Yep. Elderly lady hit me in her Silverado.
C1 burst, c7 fracture, spinal cord damage, tibia plateau and calcaneus burst. 19 days in the hospital and 3 major surgeries. Still recovering today! Was back in early August. Unfortunately life is crazy sometime. I’m just lucky to be alive and glad I never go with crappy insurance. Realistically looking around 600K in damages from my recent accident including loss of vehicle, PT, post op appointments etc. It’s amazing how expensive medical can be. And thank god my wife wasn’t in the car with me.
I encourage everyone to think twice about their insurance policy and at least add UIM 500K at a minimum for yourself. It’s a cheap no brainer. Especially when you live in a state with crap insurance laws and insanely low minimum limits. I’m in Washington and thought it was bad here. Cali is worse for sure.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
For future reference, never settle with insurance companies on your own. Get a lawyer. 30% commission they take is well worth it. You will end up with a better outcome even after they take their 30% commission.
Victim:
Hi you killed my daughter. I'll settle for 10k.

Insurance company:. Tenders policy limits.

No lawyer needed.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
If they don’t have a salary or a full-time hourly job, there aren’t any wages to garnish.
Lawyers don't chase something with no returns. A $1 million judgement is followed up by the trip to bankruptcy court for a 20 year old broke kid. Squeeze $100/month from his crap job for the next 5 years?. No thanks.

Nobody wins.
Sponsored