Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23R1S(DM,Max); '23R1T(QM,Lg); '23 & '19 Bolts
is that common for hotels to have free Tesla destination chargers? Like if a hotel has "EV charging point" as amenities, what're the chances they're Tesla vs J1772? And Tesla ones generally mean more power?
I don't have statistics on that, @R1SFamilyGuy. If I had statistics, they would only be a guess about any given hotel. Call the hotel and the front desk staff may have no clue what kind(s) of charger there are, let alone what they have.

Check PlugShare, though, and you will know -- within seconds and at nearly 100% accuracy -- about all charger types actually working at the hotel you're researching. And often the speed the chargers are actually delivering to real customers.

Very best wishes!
Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
How did you test the J1772 adapter if it's in "coming soon" status?

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Idk - is that common for hotels to have free Tesla destination chargers? Like if a hotel has "EV charging point" as amenities, what're the chances they're Tesla vs J1772? And Tesla ones generally mean more power?
what I like to do is use a filter for example on Marriott app to find hotels with EV charging where I am going to visit or pass by.

I then use PlugShare to get some real life reviews and then call the hotel to get more details on pricing / availability / charger type (Tesla / J-1772) and status just to confirm all the details from the horses mouth.

I have noticed some properties have only J-1772 and some have only Tesla destination and then some have a combination.

Cost can easily vary. To give you an example Marriott in Austin mentions something like $50-$60 for electric charging which I am guessing is Valet rates.

JW Marriott has 4 free charging spots in self parking 2 that are J-1772 and 2 that are Tesla destination. Plus 2 more hidden with valet.

it’s going to be this way as hotels keep adding more stations and we get through the NACS transition

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

How did you test the J1772 adapter if it's in "coming soon" status?
I bought the bundle a couple months ago when it was in stock.

have been using the Typhoon DCFC adapter since then and finally had a chance to use the Stellar AC this month when visiting Austin for the grand opening of the Rivian Austin Spaces location.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
I've got the same dealio, but have the Lectron J-1772 version. A couple weekends ago in Fredericksburg it came in handy at an Air B&B that had a Tesla charger. Was able to keep the R1S freely charged overnight the whole wine-soaked stay.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Another free charge. Another 67.5 kWh of level 3 DCFC rates I avoided paying for and time saved not watching and waiting for the fast charger to finish up and bill me $20 - $30.

it’s so nice to have similar home charging capability while on the go. 8.4kW and 16 miles per hour every night for free is decent.

This hotel has a 30 AMP J-1772 charger and 40 amp Tesla. I need every bit of amperage and twice the availability thanks to having an A2Z Stellar Tesla to J-1772 adapter.

I’ll be using it daily and also hopefully have a nice parking spot reserved for EV charging

With a Built in lock, I don’t have to worry about anyone disconnecting my session or taking my adapter away.

Feel free to use the forum discount code “RIV” to save $$$ once it’s back in stock.

Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

This post and future posts may contain links to affiliate website, and we may receive a commission for any purchase made by you on the affiliate website. Our affiliates include GoAFFpro and Shareasale.

IMG_3786.png

IMG_3785.png

IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_3776.png

IMG_3777.png

Last edited:

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T PDM, '97 Miata
Occupation
IT
I know everyone has been happy about being able to use Tesla destination chargers, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the benefit of being able to use a Tesla UMC. The UMC allows you to plug into basically any receptacle with the right adapter. I've been using mine to charge my Model S at friends and family members' homes for years. They all have various plugs (6-20, 14-30, 14-50, 5-15) so I use the appropriate adapter and the UMC sets the max current automatically and safely.

There are at least a couple others out there now that have these adapters, but they're pretty pricey, sometimes costing more than twice what a Tesla adapter costs. The UMC is not that expensive to start either.

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I know everyone has been happy about being able to use Tesla destination chargers, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the benefit of being able to use a Tesla UMC. The UMC allows you to plug into basically any receptacle with the right adapter. I've been using mine to charge my Model S at friends and family members' homes for years. They all have various plugs (6-20, 14-30, 14-50, 5-15) so I use the appropriate adapter and the UMC sets the max current automatically and safely.

There are at least a couple others out there now that have these adapters, but they're pretty pricey, sometimes costing more than twice what a Tesla adapter costs. The UMC is not that expensive to start either.
That’s a good point about the auto amperage adjust feature. I think the reason why we don’t see many people talk about it is because we already got a portable charger with our original purchase.

I would definitely recommend it as a replacement or as a backup at another house / location.

For $250 the value is hard to beat and you can add all sorts of Tesla adapter if you needs to.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Speaking of value, I was able to avoid paying for another 21 kWh of level 3 DCFC rates thanks to the A2Z Stellar Tesla to J-1772 adapter.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

IMG_3904.jpeg
IMG_3903.jpeg
IMG_3899.jpeg
IMG_3900.jpeg

danruss

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vermontroads.net
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Any rough ETA for this coming back in stock? Days/Weeks/Months?
I would have to ask @A2ZEV if they can share some insight into availability and rough ETA for the Stellar Tesla to J-1772 adapter.

Sponsored

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Any rough ETA for this coming back in stock? Days/Weeks/Months?
Here's my anecdata...it took about a month to get mine (although it isn't quite here yet!).

Ordered the Typhoon CCS/NACS + Stellar J1772/NACS Level 2 bundle on June 5.

Contacted the company (and it took them several days to respond). Was told the Stellar adapter was the hold-up, but my bundle would ship Tues, June 25.

The UPS label was created about lunch time on Wednesday, June 26, and it sat around until late June 27 before it actually was picked up by UPS. (A2Z's shipping email DOES point out that due to high volume, orders can sit in "label created" status for a day or two.)

So for my July 5 long road trip, I ordered in what I thought was plenty of time on June 5, and if my Typhoon + Stellar bundle arrives per UPS estimate, it will arrive July 2. Whew! Cutting it close.

(Edited to correct dates!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just saw that as well,

good catch.

Just last night I used the adapter to avoid paying for and waiting for 43.4 kWh at a DC fast chargers.

I think I saved ~ $80 just staying at this hotel who doesn’t charge for electricity compared to other hotels which charge 45 cents per kWh.

IMG_4164.png
IMG_4134.jpeg
IMG_4166.png

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I love this little thing.

Insert funny one liner about how that’s what she said

No seriously. This thing is freaking cool.

It’s compact, has a built in key lock , good customer service and warranty, it’s overbuilt like my Rivian to handle 20 kW aka future proofing.

Instead of charging at a DCFC location to get to 95%-100% state of charge for my return trip, I can just use the free Tesla destination charger at the hotel and save $15-$30. I also avoid the J-1772 charger @ 6 kw and instead get 8.9 kW with Tesla. Nice to have options.

The GM at the hotel was nice enough to let me use a spot in Valet because the self parking charging was full.

As soon as you plug in the adapter and attach it to the car it will throw a red warning light. It takes like 10 seconds to start. I think it’s going from Tesla to J-1772 charging mode.

Next month I’ll be doing the same thing for one week and avoid charging at a paid location.

It’s out of stock right now but you should put this on your list of items to have with you at all times.

Feel free to use the forum discount code “RIV” to save $$$ once it’s back in stock.

Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

A2Z EV Tesla Supercharger Adapter for Rivian - Save 10% + FREE shipping with discount code "RIV". 12 Months Warranty

This post and future posts may contain links to affiliate website, and we may receive a commission for any purchase made by you on the affiliate website. Our affiliates include GoAFFpro and Shareasale.

1718476310879-p5.png

IMG_3015.png

IMG_2999.jpeg

1718476329632-z1.png

IMG_3006.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

1718476339969-7f.png

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_3005.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3013.png

IMG_3012.jpeg

IMG_3011.jpeg

IMG_3009.jpeg
This just came available again from AtoZ. I ordered and just got the adapter from Rivian this week. I’m excited for the flexibility!
Sponsored