Access issues - locked out!

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
  • Banned
I don't know about you, but my phone as a key fob can be temperamental. Bit like my old Tesla, I need to have the app running for the car to pick it up and open. However, unlike my Tesla, the R1 will lock itself after while even if my phone (the key) is inside. So I'm now locked out without the means to call for help.

I'm sure someone will point out that there's a setting buried in the menu that prevents the car locking if it detects a key inside, but the concern again is "detects a key". It's not always been great at detecting said key.

A number of times I'm in the car and I select 'Drive' and the menu asks me to present my 'card' to the driver's side door area - pull out my card and nothing so I have to open my phone and fire up the app.

Key Band .... works after about 5 mins of waving, holding pressing all over the door handle.

Could this be fixed with an OTA? Anyone else have temperamental keys? I just want to use my phone and not have to carry a second set.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Key Band .... works after about 5 mins of waving, holding pressing all over the door handle.
NFC works better if you don't move it around. I've had to wait what seems like probably around 15 seconds for it to unlock, but the Rivian manual suggests it's actually 8 seconds.

Rivian R1T R1S Access issues - locked out! 1682609187621

Rivian R1T R1S Access issues - locked out! 1682609231280

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Somehow my PAAK has become very temperamental in particular to get the truck to "Ready". Thinks I don't have the phone that clearly opened the doors. Who knows.....

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
You always have to have the key card with you as a backup regardless if its a Tesla or a Rivian.

Neither vehicle is even close to 99.99% perfect with the phone as key working properly. Now sure the Rivian is undoubtedly worse than the Tesla but the Tesla still isn't good enough to really rely on it all the time.

In my Rivian I gave up on phone as key because the range detection wasn't accurate enough to leave @home on. So I switched to using the FOB passive detection once that came out.

Even the FOB passive detection isn't good enough for a released product. Sometimes it takes a second or two when I'm standing right there. I also got the "no key detected" right after it unlocked for me, and I was about to drive off. I had to do a reboot just to get it to detect the FOB.

Reactions: SDH

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I didn't even bother setting up or using PAAK. Too many issues. I have proximity on the FOB (I'm old school enough I'm fine to use it), have a card in my wallet, and of course can use the app if need be. I'll always have at least two options available to me at any time. If I'm working around the truck I'll just leave the door or window open if I don't want it locking on me. I just see it as one of the sacrifices (minor inconveniences) of driving a computer on wheels.

Reactions: SDH

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I'm curious as to why you're experiencing these issues. Does it have to do with the phone? I have an iPhone 12 and it works exactly as expected. Our side door exits adjacent to our attached garage. Our R1S is usually in the driveway and sits between the side door and our garbage bins, so I usually loop behind the vehicle to toss the trash. Invariably the vehicle alerts and the doors open almost as soon as I step outside. There's rarely any lag. I have never used the fob and the only time we've needed the card was when they had their network outage a few weeks back. My wife has a newer iPhone 14 Pro and hers works equally well.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yup - always keep a card in your wallet. Phone seems to be more reliable with recent updates

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
My PAAK has been garbage lately. Unlocking/locking the truck works 9/10 times, but when I get into the truck, there is a 50% chance it will ask me to use the key card in order to go into drive.

OP
OP
SDH

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
My PAAK has been garbage lately. Unlocking/locking the truck works 9/10 times, but when I get into the truck, there is a 50% chance it will ask me to use the key card in order to go into drive.
Yes, this is what bugs me. Why let me in and get comfy in the first place if you're then going to ask me to squeeze my key out of my back pocket ?! Dumb!
Sponsored